Jump to content

Toxic players able to cause host migration bug is a serious problem


Illairen
 Share

Recommended Posts

Doing an arbitration, toxic player doesn t do anything, just sits in the mission doing nothing (leeching) and taunting us. Then wants to leave at 10 minutes, we continue.

What happens? He causes host migration bug at exactly 20 minutes, we lose our reward.

And this is not the first time players cause the host migration bug intentionally.

Is there no way to fix the host migration issue? I ve read that this is an old bug from 2015 or something and DE knows of it.

 

 

Edited by Illairen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Illairen said:

Is there no way to fix the host migration issue?

It is just one of the benefits of P2P hosting. I am not sure how much DE can do about this, as part of it seems to be your connection to the server too. If it is too slow, it times out and fails.

  • I have not experienced this since the issues with PoE. Not even one single time. [I have a fast connection speed though]

 

Note: if you have evidence, you can send it to support and see what they can do.

Edited by krc473
Link to comment
Share on other sites

vor 4 Minuten schrieb krc473:

It is just one of the benefits of P2P hosting. I am not sure how much DE can do about this, as part of it seems to be your connection to the server too. If it is too slow, it times out and fails.

  • I have not experienced this since the issues with PoE. Not even one single time. [I have a fast connection speed though]

I think i only had an issue 1 time with hostmigration on the plains/OrbVallis, while in other Gamemodes its failing most of the time.

This alone should be enough of a prove that this issue can be solved if DE really tries to.

Edit: to explain this: if it would be a problem on the side of the player, the same players should experience the same bugs in more or less all gamemodes,

but since a few gamemodes tend to bug way more than others, this might be a hint that there is a coding issue there.

Ill just link my topic from some time ago, you are not the first to ask this question 😉

 

 

Edited by DreisterDino
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DreisterDino said:

This alone should be enough of a prove that this issue can be solved if DE really tries to.

You should probably specify exactly what in your thread you are referencing here. I could only really see "switch to dedicated servers", that is not a viable option. It would be a significant cost for DE, and giving that the current system works relatively well most of the time, I cannot see why DE would do it. There is a very limited benefit to DE in doing this.

  • I might have missed something in your thread. I did not read it all. 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

vor 16 Minuten schrieb krc473:

You should probably specify exactly what in your thread you are referencing here. I could only really see "switch to dedicated servers", that is not a viable option. It would be a significant cost for DE, and giving that the current system works relatively well most of the time, I cannot see why DE would do it. There is a very limited benefit to DE in doing this.

  • I might have missed something in your thread. I did not read it all. 

nah, i am not asking for dedicated servers.

I simply linked it because OP asked "is there something they can do?", and this question has been discussed over 3 pages in that topic.

 

Zitat

Sticking to my Index example:

- everyone leaves at the end of 1 rotation because he chooses to (not because anyone has a bad connection)

- i am the only one left in the "new session"

- i have a frozen screen and cant interact with the game anymore

 

I really fail to see how you can blame the players for the frozen screen bug in which case you only can press alt-f4

Btw: I had a really good ping to the host before the migration, its not like i was playing with a guy from the other side of the world and a 500ms ping.

I wrote this in that topic for example. Index host migrations fail 100% of the time for me leading to bugs,

while other gamemodes dont bug at all. And this observation makes me believe that it is indeed a coding issue and can be solved and that you cannot only blame the players for failed hostmigrations. Edit: some people in the linked topic also posted ideas on how to save the rewards even if the migration fails.

Edited by DreisterDino
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Send a pic of the chat, pic of mission result and write your side of the story to the zendesk. i see 2 problems here one is the host migration problem the other is the problem player. Make sure DE will/are handling both. Solving one will not solve the other

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not a bug. He was hosting so when he leaves you migrate to a new host in the group. If you have less potato internet and computer, you will generally survive just migration with 0 issues. I honestly cant remember the last time a host migration has failed on me. 

Biggest reason for host migration failure is gonna be wifi. Use a wired connection. During the migration, the connection is very sensitive to any hiccup, which is common with wireless connections.

The general rule of gaming computers, wired connection, wired mouse, wired keyboard. 

Edited by Erytroxylin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DreisterDino said:

I wrote this in that topic for example. Index host migrations fail 100% of the time for me leading to bugs,

while other gamemodes dont bug at all. And this observation makes me believe that it is indeed a coding issue and can be solved and that you cannot only blame the players for failed hostmigrations. Edit: some people in the linked topic also posted ideas on how to save the rewards even if the migration fails

If it ALWAYS fails for you, but not others, that suggests that the problem IS on your end. If it were coding, then all of us should experience the same. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, krc473 said:

You should probably specify exactly what in your thread you are referencing here. I could only really see "switch to dedicated servers", that is not a viable option. It would be a significant cost for DE, and giving that the current system works relatively well most of the time, I cannot see why DE would do it. There is a very limited benefit to DE in doing this.

  • I might have missed something in your thread. I did not read it all. 

DE did mention they've been thinking about moving to a dedicated server in a recent dev stream...however it was only a mention - nothing definite. Its more something that is on their wish list of things to do. They do appreciate that host migration can be annoying but AFAIK there are no immediate plans for this.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Illairen:

Doing an arbitration, toxic player doesn t do anything, just sits in the mission doing nothing (leeching) and taunting us. Then wants to leave at 10 minutes, we continue.

What happens? He causes host migration bug at exactly 20 minutes, we lose our reward.

And this is not the first time players cause the host migration bug intentionally.

Is there no way to fix the host migration issue? I ve read that this is an old bug from 2015 or something and DE knows of it.

 

 

This isn't the same bug from 2015. Everytime they introduce a new game mode they need to make host migration configurations for that gamemode and that's why this bug keeps reappearing  on new gamemodes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Erytroxylin said:

It's not a bug. He was hosting so when he leaves you migrate to a new host in the group. If you have less potato internet and computer, you will generally survive just migration with 0 issues. I honestly cant remember the last time a host migration has failed on me. 

Biggest reason for host migration failure is gonna be wifi. Use a wired connection. During the migration, the connection is very sensitive to any hiccup, which is common with wireless connections.

The general rule of gaming computers, wired connection, wired mouse, wired keyboard. 

Not entirely true.

It doesnt really matter what connection or PC you have, it doesnt help with the host migration, except in the case you end up as the host, at which point it helps the other two players the better connection/PC you have. If you end up on the icky side of the stick and try to connect to the one having the potato (or streaming/downloading S#&$ while playing) you very likely end up with the host migration bug no matter how good your connection or computer is.

This is likely rooted in issues with their matchmaking system as a whole. This is easily seen if you manually change ping limit etc. The system simply doesnt work correctly.

So lets say you join a group with 3 others, you have around 30ping to the current host. He decides to leave and another guy gets the host role. This guy has been streaming or downloading the entire time, it has had no negative impact because his ping has been below his limit to the host. But now you will be connecting directly to him instead of the prior host. Suddenly due to the download or streaming on his end, your ping to him is higher than your set limit, resulting in a failure to rejoin the session. However if you had ended up as the host it would have been green fields and honey for everyone, since you dont waste your bandwidth or the time of others on streaming and downloading S#&$ while playing.

And this isnt always about your hardware either, this can also be caused by location issues of each player. You may have 50 ping to the host while someone else sits with 150 due to distance etc. If the host then leaves the ping between you and the other fellow will suddenly be far larger, introducing a large risk that one of you will end up with a host migration failure or a laggy session, unless the third guy might become the host and sit somewhere in between.

edit: And as someone has already suggested, when a host migration occurs we should have the option to go to a solo session instead in order to just save the loot.

 

Edited by SneakyErvin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Illairen said:

Doing an arbitration, toxic player doesn t do anything, just sits in the mission doing nothing (leeching) and taunting us. Then wants to leave at 10 minutes, we continue.

What happens? He causes host migration bug at exactly 20 minutes, we lose our reward.

And this is not the first time players cause the host migration bug intentionally.

Is there no way to fix the host migration issue? I ve read that this is an old bug from 2015 or something and DE knows of it.

 

 

report the user for being unsportsmanlike/troll on this website. they really should have a link to it in game but the system is archaic. from the responses i receive they take action against people that leech so i assume they can do something here too. take pictures if they say anything toxic and send it in. for the bounties i take a picture halfway through of where they are compared to the objective circle, their kills, and then the same thing at the last stage of the bounty and their kills again AND another one when we are waiting at extraction. the more proof you have the better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Illairen said:

Doing an arbitration, toxic player doesn t do anything, just sits in the mission doing nothing (leeching) and taunting us. Then wants to leave at 10 minutes, we continue.

What happens? He causes host migration bug at exactly 20 minutes, we lose our reward.

And this is not the first time players cause the host migration bug intentionally.

Is there no way to fix the host migration issue? I ve read that this is an old bug from 2015 or something and DE knows of it.

 

 

Wait. No, wait.  You know the guy isn't going to participate pretty early on and when they make it clear they want to leave, you basically hold them hostage as revenge and are now upset that you lost out on rewards when they exercised the only power they had over the situation?

Why not leave at the 5 or 10 minute mark and start over with a 4th that would actually participate?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zitat

Wait. No, wait.  You know the guy isn't going to participate pretty early on and when they make it clear they want to leave, you basically hold them hostage as revenge and are now upset that you lost out on rewards when they exercised the only power they had over the situation?

Why not leave at the 5 or 10 minute mark and start over with a 4th that would actually participate? 

Well you are correct, normally if someone wants to go at minute 10, then I go too. But not only did he not participate in the fight, when we asked him if he could help us, he just responded with "noo just chilling here, you fight for me losers" and stuff like that.

And well, he could have left anytime, but he decided to leave the second we would have gotten the rewards - which caused that bug.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

well if he ask to leave maybe its better to go instead of losing everything because he did migration bug.

Its not like those tenno in orb valis who rush at the end and quit after a bounty so all the tenno following him just lose their whole drop due to a failed host migration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Illairen said:

Well you are correct, normally if someone wants to go at minute 10, then I go too. But not only did he not participate in the fight, when we asked him if he could help us, he just responded with "noo just chilling here, you fight for me losers" and stuff like that.

And well, he could have left anytime, but he decided to leave the second we would have gotten the rewards - which caused that bug.

 

 

 

I hope you have screenshots of their comments.  If so, submit them to support so they can take action. 

But, all in all, maybe don't keep people in missions after they try to leave?  Sounds like it'll cost you a lot less than just leaving and dropping them on ignore while starting up again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, trunks013 said:

well if he ask to leave maybe its better to go instead of losing everything because he did migration bug.

Its not like those tenno in orb valis who rush at the end and quit after a bounty so all the tenno following him just lose their whole drop due to a failed host migration.

I agree with the first part here -- the OP probably should have extracted at 10 minutes.   If the host wants to extract, I *always* go to extraction.   Doesn't matter what mission type or what they've done or said during the mission.   It's far better to do this than risk a migration fail.   Frankly, I'm more surprised that the player in question stuck around for 10 more minutes after indicating that they wanted to extract.

For that matter, if someone other than the host wants to extract, you have a bit of discretion, but generally it's more polite to extract then too than keep the player hostage in the mission, especially for as long as 10 minutes.   I've delayed until the next 5 minute boundary sometimes in a Survival, but that's the maximum I might consider.    They may have a very good reason to extract.    I've been in that situation myself too many times myself.

As for the Orb Vallis...  I find the real issues there are between players who want to go back to Fortuna vs players who want to just start the next bounty.   And that's more easily handled if you're *not* the host by simply leaving the squad if you find that the host wants to do the other thing than you do.   If everyone knew to do that, it would go a lot better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2018-11-30 at 5:06 PM, Zgwortz said:

I agree with the first part here -- the OP probably should have extracted at 10 minutes.   If the host wants to extract, I *always* go to extraction.   Doesn't matter what mission type or what they've done or said during the mission.   It's far better to do this than risk a migration fail.   Frankly, I'm more surprised that the player in question stuck around for 10 more minutes after indicating that they wanted to extract.

For that matter, if someone other than the host wants to extract, you have a bit of discretion, but generally it's more polite to extract then too than keep the player hostage in the mission, especially for as long as 10 minutes.   I've delayed until the next 5 minute boundary sometimes in a Survival, but that's the maximum I might consider.    They may have a very good reason to extract.    I've been in that situation myself too many times myself.

As for the Orb Vallis...  I find the real issues there are between players who want to go back to Fortuna vs players who want to just start the next bounty.   And that's more easily handled if you're *not* the host by simply leaving the squad if you find that the host wants to do the other thing than you do.   If everyone knew to do that, it would go a lot better.

For the orb valis part actualy we are all heading to extraction the guy just quit because its "Faster" . but honestly host migration losing all stuff should be fixed asap ^.^ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...