Question about negative duration Saryn

Veridian

Question

Hello there, I'm in need of some guidance.

I decided it was time to min/max some old load outs that were left neglected and while most builds simply required 1-4 more forma I have a question about Saryn. I'm looking at a build with 1062 hp, 850 power, 280 range, 150 strength, 100 efficiency, but 72.5 duration. Everything I read, however, states that negative duration Saryn is bad.

I realize that spores will decay faster when not applied and molt, lash and miasma will have a shorter duration. Spore management doesn't bother me, molt and lash's reduced durations are still over 30 seconds. Even the reduced duration of Regenerative Molt doesn't bother me much, since the build allows me to spam it. Miasma kills anything in 2 seconds up to ESO 8 so reducing it from 6 seconds to 4.35 feels more like taking unneeded power from one place and utilizing it, even so it still does more damage in a shorter duration.

The question is, what am I missing. All sources claim negative duration is horrible, however I don't see what I'll be missing out on?

Edited by Ver1dian

8 answers to this question

72.5 duration means you are using transient fortitude and is what I consider to be the minimum duration needed. It will do well in ESO but anything less you will encounter the following issues:

1. Toxic lash is too short - annoying and costly to refresh. 70 dura is already around 30 secs

2. Miasma is too short - very bad as means less damage dot and spores won't spread as well because they need to die while under the effects of miasma

38 minutes ago, DarkRuler2500 said:

Negative duration is bad... you will loose Toxic Lash duration, Miasma duration (and thus overall damage) and you will loose your stacks at an insane speed once you have not infected an enemy. The -duration build was viable for Saryn 1.0 but neitehr was good for Saryn 2.0 nor 3.0!

36 minutes ago, lolmetimbers said:

72.5 duration means you are using transient fortitude and is what I consider to be the minimum duration needed. It will do well in ESO but anything less you will encounter the following issues:

1. Toxic lash is too short - annoying and costly to refresh. 70 dura is already around 30 secs 

2. Miasma is too short - very bad as means less damage dot and spores won't spread as well because they need to die while under the effects of miasma

Thanks for the feedback.

Correct on both, with Saryn I spend 75% of the time in ESO and yes I am currently using Transient Fortitude.

From what I can tell, the negatives are pretty much what I expected.

I guess I'll stick to this build for now and test it some more, I'm fine with spore management and don't care too much for Toxic Lash, since 50 energy with this build isn't much and so far Miasma has managed to kill everything in 2-3 seconds, maybe because of the recent damage buff to infected enemies.

Still better than my old 40% duration build 😄 

Edited by Ver1dian

negative duration is fine, the duration based skills are long enough to make them manageable so long as you have some efficiency.  Plus it makes spamming miasma for the stun more reliable, because you have to wait for the previous miasma to run out before you can stun them again

You cannot spam miasma in ESO so duration positively affects both CC, damage and spore spreading.

I think the 'Negative' duration builds that often get flak are probably referring to those with less than 70% or past builds before the rework. I personally prefer stock 100% duration because micromanaging lash/spores is easier and the str loss hardly makes a difference to focus farming/killing speed.

2 hours ago, lolmetimbers said:

You cannot spam miasma in ESO so duration positively affects both CC, damage and spore spreading.

I think the 'Negative' duration builds that often get flak are probably referring to those with less than 70% or past builds before the rework. I personally prefer stock 100% duration because micromanaging lash/spores is easier and the str loss hardly makes a difference to focus farming/killing speed.

ahh, fair enough. actually forgot we were talking ESO