Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gunplay needs a upgrade

(PSN)CommanderRadec81

On 2018-12-06 at 8:32 PM, DiabolusUrsus said:

They're constantly optimizing anyway, aren't they?

Yes they are but it might be an issue with the Evolution engine that might be why they won't do it and Kotsender_Quasimir's idea. The engine is over 10 years old so maybe DE can make a new one in the future at least in 4-5 years from now if Warframe survives long enough.

3 hours ago, (PS4)CommanderRadec81 said:

Yes they are but it might be an issue with the Evolution engine that might be why they won't do it and Kotsender_Quasimir's idea. The engine is over 10 years old so maybe DE can make a new one in the future at least in 4-5 years from now if Warframe survives long enough.

I disagree.

We already have projectile weapons available, and it's not like the game suddenly crashes if you have a full team of people using the Boltor Prime. We also have factions that use projectile weapons almost exclusively (Corpus/Corrupted), so I don't think there's really a huge case to be made that projectile-based weaponry will ruin performance. All DE has to do is be sane about offering multishot upgrades.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

I disagree.

We already have projectile weapons available, and it's not like the game suddenly crashes if you have a full team of people using the Boltor Prime. We also have factions that use projectile weapons almost exclusively (Corpus/Corrupted), so I don't think there's really a huge case to be made that projectile-based weaponry will ruin performance. All DE has to do is be sane about offering multishot upgrades.

Yah forgot about that so sorry for my ignorance.

i think the complexity of gun-gameplay is lacking compared to melee-gameplay, yes.

guns are just point, shoot, secondary fire, check ammo, reload, headshot multipliers. its not really too complex. 

for melee 3.0, well:

• basic attack
  • heavy attack
  • lunge attack
  • ground slam
  • combos
  • air combos
  • perfect counters
  • finishers (including stealth)
  • block
  • deflect bullets
  • channeling

they are improving the combination of gun and blade by having melee being equipped with the melee button and your previously used gun equipped by firing. hopefully that would improve something.

it would be cool if gunplay were more complex. here are a few ideas:

• reward players for good aim for more than just hitting enemies in the head by allowing players to temporarily disable enemies by hitting their own weapons.
  • motivate players to move more often by giving each gun a chance to stun enemies from shots in the air or on a wall.
  • motivate players to air kick more often by making enemies more vulnerable while they are knocked down.
  • give guns their own finisher animations.
  • reduce recoil, accuracy, and reload time greatly while crouched.
  • increase headshot damage when the shot is fired at point blank range (shotguns may not apply) or increase stun chance greatly (shotguns would apply).
Edited by MysticDragonMage

3 hours ago, (PS4)CommanderRadec81 said:

Yah forgot about that so sorry for my ignorance.

No, it's a valid concern! I know we ended up with a hitscan Kohm due to performance issues, but IIRC that was mostly when combined with Mirage Hall of Mirrors + shotgun levels of multishot + projectile drop.

Most weapons would be using something closer to Dera/Supra (but faster).

• Like 3

On 2018-12-15 at 10:26 PM, DiabolusUrsus said:

I know we ended up with a hitscan Kohm due to performance issues

Didn't know it was projectile based before.

On 2018-12-15 at 10:26 PM, DiabolusUrsus said:

but IIRC that was mostly when combined with Mirage Hall of Mirrors + shotgun levels of multishot + projectile drop..

Was that the time when all of Mirage's clones use to attack all at once instead of just 2 of them currently?

On 2018-12-15 at 8:54 PM, MysticDragonMage said:

• reward players for good aim for more than just hitting enemies in the head by allowing players to temporarily disable enemies by hitting their own weapons.

Why not add also limb dismemberment with this like in Dead Space and Fallout.

On 2018-12-15 at 8:54 PM, MysticDragonMage said:

• give guns their own finisher animations.

How exactly would this work? Unless DE changes finishers to use the context button(as an option) I'm not sure how this can be done. What will the warframe do as a finisher with each weapon class? Be more specific.

Edited by (PS4)CommanderRadec81

5 minutes ago, (PS4)CommanderRadec81 said:

Didn't know it was projectile based before.

Yep. It shot little arcing pellets (think Drakgoon, but faster and with less drop).

5 minutes ago, (PS4)CommanderRadec81 said:

Was that the time when all of Mirage's clones use to attack all at once instead of just 2 of them currently?

Yeah, it still had all the clones attacking.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, (PS4)CommanderRadec81 said:

Why not add also limb dismemberment with this like in Dead Space and Fallout.

not that i doubt DE is capable of applying this to their game, i just think it would take a lot of time to develop since games like Doom Eternal, Dead space, and Fallout are partially built around this system. cool idea none the less.

8 hours ago, (PS4)CommanderRadec81 said:

How exactly would this work? Unless DE changes finishers to use the context button(as an option) I'm not sure how this can be done. What will the warframe do as a finisher with each weapon class? Be more specific.

simply put that if a player is near a stunned target, a normal trigger-pull activates the finisher. most gun-play is ranged and even when it is close, the finisher damage would present more value on a single target.

there would finishers for rapid fire/beams (primary, secondary, and duel wielded), semi-auto (primary, secondary, and duel wielded), throwing projectiles, throwing spears, and bows(not including crossbows). if the weapon is explosive at all, there would be no finisher. basically, not every weapon has to have its own unique finisher.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2018-12-17 at 10:18 PM, MysticDragonMage said:

Doom Eternal

There is no limb dismemberment in Doom Eternal of the what has been shown so far currently only battle damage which would also be nice to have(like other things like environmental damage and material change options for fashionframe but I don't see that happening with the current engine) in Warframe.

On 2018-12-16 at 6:26 AM, DiabolusUrsus said:

No, it's a valid concern! I know we ended up with a hitscan Kohm due to performance issues, but IIRC that was mostly when combined with Mirage Hall of Mirrors + shotgun levels of multishot + projectile drop.

Most weapons would be using something closer to Dera/Supra (but faster).

This raises the question of whether some of Warframe's current combat mechanics are even good for the game from a technical point of view. Multishot essentially just translates to more damage/status with no real change in gameplay, but makes any projectile weapon fire more projectiles, which is bound to impose some additional drain on technical resources, and that's only made worse by stuff like Hall of Mirrors, otherwise a glorified DPS boost that does nothing with the additional shots it generates, or the Kohm line of weapons, whose gimmick is equally gratuitious in how the additional shots themselves generate no additional gameplay. If the game did away with multishot, and did smarter things with duplicating effects like HoM (like replicating the firing animations without necessarily replicating the projectiles), the game would probably have more than enough spare processing power to give every gun in the game, player or enemy, a projectile, which itself would have meaningful gameplay consequences (e.g. the player would be able to properly dodge shots, instead of relying on RNG evasion, and there'd be a more organic way of modulating weapon effective ranges than damage falloff). 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would love a segmented reload mechanic, since many guns in the game that have long reload times suffer from cancelling or being CCed mid reload, and CC is abundant in corpus, infested, and corrupted, even in the grineer the slams aren't that rare.

Although that would mean guns wouldn't be able to cancel reloads, which I guess is a downside I'm willing to have, considering this is a 99% pve game canceling reloads is not as important as segmented reloads. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VenomousValentine said:

I personally think gunplay is one of the best aspects of the game

You can't be serious?I personally think that the only thing DE has done well for the game besides the art style is the movement but even that needs improvements.

I can't even think of ways to improve on it.

Then what was even the point of your post?

Guns shoot bullets

Thanks Captain Obvious

What else should they do?

That a lot effort and attention to detail goes into making gunplay to even be good at all.

14 hours ago, (PS4)CommanderRadec81 said:

Why tho? That fire mode is what makes the Battacor differentiate from other weapons instead of being a reskin.

Because I don't like clicking LMB like mad, my finger starts hurting and that makes pretty much all burst weapon poo (in my humble opinion). Auto-burst weapons as proven by Battacor are much more pleasant to use.

Even if all burst weapons are turned into auto-burst that hardly makes Battacor being a reskin, it does have it's unique mechanics with "opticor" alt-fire being charged with kills, as well as it's base damage and general feel to it.

On 2019-02-03 at 10:06 AM, LightZodiac said:

Because I don't like clicking LMB like mad, my finger starts hurting

I know that feeling but it's just not a good reason to change a game mechanic for your own personal issue that other players would possibly get upset.

2 minutes ago, birdobash said:

Ironically ironic 😛 lol

OP posts suggestion based on his own personal issues which could get other people upset. Proceeds to bash suggestion based on personal issue pointing out that it could get other players upset.

I mean cmoooon I'm just building on top of already established irony 😄