Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Captura: REWIND feature

JoniBach

This current captura contest looks to be a challenging one and I am excited for it.... up to the point where i accidentally press escape after spending roughly 1 and a half hours mapping cameras meaning the scene continues and i loose everything.

This has been suggested before however i would really like a rewind feature when in captura mode so we can easily scrub back and forth. Its a standard video editing tool and would be nice to see it implemented. Don't get me wrong, I love the captura mode as it is. I would just like to see it get better. 

Any thoughts?

Jon

I'll try to put this as simply as possible

For standard video, there is only one true variable, time. Everything is relatively constant, in that all that is needed to replay a scene is the vary limited scope of information gathered by the perspective (i.e. the camera(s), the sound capturing devices, and so on).

To replay a scene in a video game, you cannot assume a static perspective. This pretty much reduces everything about the process into variable soup, you would basically need to recreate the scene. You would need not only time, but each other variable relative to time (and possibly other variable states at other points of time, for the sake of recreating mid-animation states). While i am no expert in the inner workings of games such as Warframe, It is incredibly clear to me that this process would be data intensive, to say the least. This would likely result in either a lowered connection quality or the devastation of your cache. Likely both. Another concern is that bugs and other minor inconsistencies would likely be unrepeatable, adding to the inconsistency of the process.

Again, i'm not a particularly good programmer.  I have no experience working with Warframe's code.  And Warframe has often achieved things that I consider less than sane. But i consider this type of system extremely impractical.

3 minutes ago, Zavenosk said:

I'll try to put this as simply as possible

For standard video, there is only one true variable, time. Everything is relatively constant, in that all that is needed to replay a scene is the vary limited scope of information gathered by the perspective (i.e. the camera(s), the sound capturing devices, and so on).

To replay a scene in a video game, you cannot assume a static perspective. This pretty much reduces everything about the process into variable soup, you would basically need to recreate the scene. You would need not only time, but each other variable relative to time (and possibly other variable states at other points of time, for the sake of recreating mid-animation states). While i am no expert in the inner workings of games such as Warframe, It is incredibly clear to me that this process would be data intensive, to say the least. This would likely result in either a lowered connection quality or the devastation of your cache. Likely both. Another concern is that bugs and other minor inconsistencies would likely be unrepeatable, adding to the inconsistency of the process.

Again, i'm not a particularly good programmer.  I have no experience working with Warframe's code.  And Warframe has often achieved things that I consider less than sane. But i consider this type of system extremely impractical.

I agree with you in most aspects that you have mentioned and I appreciate that its not easy. DE seem to be wizards when it comes to building features. However, speaking as someone who does have experience with motion design and minor experience in game design software, I am not willing to give up hope quite yet. Just because it is hard doesn't mean not possible/worth doing. 

There is a theoretical way to make a rewind feature work and that is to compile a 'bracketing' tool. Essentially instead of just pressing [G] to captur a single frame. Press [G] to place an open marker and then press it again to insert a close marker. That means the game's info structure would only have to cope with what is between the markers/brackets. It may take time on slower systems but it would allow for people to make some proper motion clips. Its just an idea anyway.

I concur with you that this might not even be possible depending on the way the game is built. However, it has been done before in games (Rockstar Editor for GTA V)

1 minute ago, JoniBach said:

I agree with you in most aspects that you have mentioned and I appreciate that its not easy. DE seem to be wizards when it comes to building features. However, speaking as someone who does have experience with motion design and minor experience in game design software, I am not willing to give up hope quite yet. Just because it is hard doesn't mean not possible/worth doing. 

There is a theoretical way to make a rewind feature work and that is to compile a 'bracketing' tool. Essentially instead of just pressing [G] to captur a single frame. Press [G] to place an open marker and then press it again to insert a close marker. That means the game's info structure would only have to cope with what is between the markers/brackets. It may take time on slower systems but it would allow for people to make some proper motion clips. Its just an idea anyway.

I concur with you that this might not even be possible depending on the way the game is built. However, it has been done before in games (Rockstar Editor for GTA V)

100% Agreed