The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

'Abort Mission' dialog box needs 'Exit Game' option

Xyngrr

I've run into this a few times and figured it was just an oversight, but it seems to remain unaddressed.

When in the lander, pressing ESC gives a menu with an 'exit game' option. This menu option does not exist in the mission esc menu, on cetus or in fortuna, out of the Plains or Vallis, or any relay. It only exists in the lander esc menu meaning if I am anywhere else in the game I have to abort, wait for the unloading of things and reloading of the lander, then esc menu again to actually begin a clean shutdown procedure before I can walk away from a secured machine.

If something in real life requires immediate attention away from the computer, it has priority. There is simply no question there. The lack of an ordered exit function accessible from anywhere in the game means one of two things occurrs - network cable gets unplugged and the game founders to an inert login screen state until system idle kicks in, or the game gets the three finger salute. Neither of those is a recommended or safe way to handle data. This gets worse if I happen to be serving the mission or openworld instance and the clients think I 'just wanna go because (x vapid reason)'.

The abort mission dialog needs an extra button added which directly exits the game allowing an ordered and graceful exit for all concerned.

16 hours ago, Xyngrr said:

There is simply no question there. The lack of an ordered exit function accessible from anywhere in the game means one of two things occurrs - network cable gets unplugged and the game founders to an inert login screen state until system idle kicks in, or the game gets the three finger salute. Neither of those is a recommended or safe way to handle data. This gets worse if I happen to be serving the mission or openworld instance and the clients think I 'just wanna go because (x vapid reason)'.

What would the change do, though? It would still take time for you to hand off hosting and/or do whatever it does when going back to the Orbiter, time which you apparently don't have. Just hit Alt+F4 if there are things that require your immediate attention outside the game, an action that requires even less time than opening the menu and hitting a button on that menu.

Alt+f4 is task kill which is the same as shutting it down via Ctrl+Alt+Delete which is also known as the three finger salute. I stated this in the original post, and because no clean exit option exists this is the default method of exiting the game when in a hurry as you both mention.

This is not a clean exit, nor does it do anything good for the clients should I be hosting. I make an effort not to use it when hosting for obvious reasons, but the feedback here is there is no path for an ordered handing off of the game to another client and shutting down the game cleanly accessible from anywhere except the place you don't actually need to worry about other clients and are least likely to be inprocess of volatile operations.. You can still bork your install if you catch it in the middle of something but this is quite rare ( which is a credit to DE for safer volatile operation practices ) but the penalty for that rare instance is a repair of unspecified time delay in fixing a problem averted by one button on a dialog and one globally accessible scripted shutdown.

If the house is on fire or there's blood involved, I'll pull the cord from that wall regardless of other connections or processes running on the system. I have had to actually, as some other games are so predaciously desperate to dissuade you from logging out for any reason there's coded timers inserted in the logout process. Warframe shouldn't be following in their footsteps to become one of them.