Jump to content

K-drive need to be faster than archwing. (with a reason)


frostyhobo
 Share

Recommended Posts

So the reason that K-drive need to be faster than archwing is for a couple reasons. First archwings allow you to attack while on them while k-drives do nothing for combat other than those extremely specific niche mods. Second K-drives should at least be able to compete with archwings for speed in open worlds, otherwise no one is legitimately going to use k-drives for their intended purpose other than looking cool. In the end you just lose time riding your k-drive instead of using an arhcwing, due to the lack of speed and actually having to traverse the terrain.

A suggestion to improve the k-drives, first increase the base boost and non boost speed and allow their respective mods to stack, second let tricks;either through mods or base, give a speed buff when landing successfully.

Either increase their speed or give them some sort of niche ability like being able to fish off of them or something along those lines so that people actually have a reason to use them apposed to archwing.  

Edited by frostyhobo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont think its whise to make them faster... either grant them abilities as stated above or make at least Weappons usable whilst the ride is on (or even better: give them own weappons! could be some cool lasers or smth like that which is nice to aim and could do significant AOE Dmg)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DE clearly wants K-Drives to be part of our combat rhythm, why else would they add combat mods? If K-Drives fit into the Orb-Vallis (and PoE) combat rhythm they won;dn't need to compete with Archwings in terms of their raw point to point travel speed as they would be superior in other ways.

Ya know, promote an actual choice instead of false decisions.

Here's my oversimplified concept:

  • No abilities are canceled while on K-Drives. Duration timers will continue and 'stack' abilities (Iron Skin-like abilities) will persist.
  • Add momentum conservation to equipping K-Drives, killing momentum kills combat rhythm.
  • Rework the offensive K-Drive mods to things that directly benefit your Warframe in the immediate time after getting off a K-Drive. Be that a large range stun, an enemy debuff, or a short duration buff to your Warframe/Weapons.

Imagine if you used your K-Drive as a mid-combat tool while on the open-landscapes, getting on and off to in quick movements to maximize your killing. Maybe have it open up new niche synergies between certain Warframes, Weapons, and K-Drives that allow a whole new level of depth to customizing your open-landscape loadout.

 

I don't know about you, but that sounds a hell of a lot better than just making "an Archwing, but on the ground".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'mma say it again. We should treat it like a toned down version of the skiis from the Tribes games - allow for building momentum when going down slopes (kind of like an actual snowboard or skateboard would do) - make higher-than-archwing speed something you have to earn. Then, like how in Tribes you have to time your use of your jet fuel in order to get over hills without losing forward momentum - we could use the jump to do the same here. There's so much potential in the landscape geometry for something like that.

Edited by Gnohme
Link to comment
Share on other sites

honestly i think the best idea to help k drives is to inlcude a k drive kung-fu aspect like each stun has a possibility to actually injure enemies possibly giving them some form of weapons like putting a form of weapon on the bottom of the weapon that projects an energy blade that activates when you start using spins or tricks in general. i remember if you simply press ctrl on your keys or what ever you use for the grind button, you do a simple twirl when using it while on ground which i manage to use to with that afterburn like augment that gives you a flame trail to catch targets on fire yet it kind of feels clunky and not really effective. maybe DE should include a equip able weapon that you could use in some way when on k drive possible hampering some ability to do stunts. also maybe allow some frame abilities to be usable on k drives like chroma's spectral scream and his buffs. 

another idea i have is to not have a speed limit  when boost  but have it work like this when you use speed boost and go in a straight path you build up more and more speed and possible when your moving at these high speed rework the grind button into having a break function when moving at high speeds. and a fun idea is that when you move fast enough you could create enough momentum to possible kill a mob instantly. though i am pretty sure there will be a trade off with this idea like mobs either slowing you down or you take damage based on the "weight" of the target, and being knocked off when hitting things like those spider bosses.

on a less fun  idea maybe include some "roadblocks" for archwing  to slow down or discourage overuse of archwing. i would rather have DE give a reason to use or at least not shut out the idea of using k drives. though i do have a bit of an annoyance with bumping into some random  in a public match that just grabs his archwing and rushes to the dang objective without having the thought of maybe some of us who want to relax and use the k drive a bit.

Edited by maddragonmaster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't see how K-Drive could race against Itzal with Prime Hyperion Thruster especially with Blink ability and 0 obstruction in the sky BUT I completely agree that it should at least travel faster. My suggestions:

- Boosting increase speed over time, like car acceleration, to dangerously higher top speed (death by crashing should be a thing xD)

- Slopes physically affect the velocity, going downhill should add extreme acceleration and sliding at high speed threshold triggers the "landing trick" AoE all the way down

this comment was not sponsored by Crunchyroll

Edited by ntyd1s
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ntyd1s said:

I can't see how K-Drive could race against Itzal with Prime Hyperion Thruster especially with Blink ability and 0 obstruction in the sky BUT I completely agree that it should at least travel faster. My suggestions:

- Boosting increase speed over time, like car acceleration, to dangerously higher top speed (death by crashing should be a thing xD)

- Slopes physically affect the velocity, going downhill should add extreme acceleration and sliding at high speed threshold triggers the "landing trick" AoE all the way down

maybe involve a mod that reduces the damage equal to rate of speed.  maybe have the mods name be "firm footing" kind of fits. and i do love the idea of running through a corpus crewman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad to see I'm not the only one who would like the downhill thing to be a mechanic. Honestly that's something I've been wanting since the Plains of Eidolon, only with the regular slide (always felt like it lost speed way too quickly when going downhill, capping off at a comfortable crawl instead of using gravity to build momentum), there are some huge hills there that are just begging for some sort of movement mechanic to interact with. If DE added something like this in, it would make the entire game more fun to me. If they're going to add ways to go faster I think the best way to go is something that makes physical sense first, and then we can worry about trick combos adding speed later. I much prefer my movement mechanics to rely on movement before we jump to some kind of oddball nuance like killing enemies or doing tricks to gain speed

Edited by Gnohme
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2018-12-02 at 4:21 AM, DrBorris said:

DE clearly wants K-Drives to be part of our combat rhythm, why else would they add combat mods? If K-Drives fit into the Orb-Vallis (and PoE) combat rhythm they won;dn't need to compete with Archwings in terms of their raw point to point travel speed as they would be superior in other ways.

Ya know, promote an actual choice instead of false decisions.

Here's my oversimplified concept:

  • No abilities are canceled while on K-Drives. Duration timers will continue and 'stack' abilities (Iron Skin-like abilities) will persist.
  • Add momentum conservation to equipping K-Drives, killing momentum kills combat rhythm.
  • Rework the offensive K-Drive mods to things that directly benefit your Warframe in the immediate time after getting off a K-Drive. Be that a large range stun, an enemy debuff, or a short duration buff to your Warframe/Weapons.

Imagine if you used your K-Drive as a mid-combat tool while on the open-landscapes, getting on and off to in quick movements to maximize your killing. Maybe have it open up new niche synergies between certain Warframes, Weapons, and K-Drives that allow a whole new level of depth to customizing your open-landscape loadout.

 

I don't know about you, but that sounds a hell of a lot better than just making "an Archwing, but on the ground".

Well, if they do want K-Drive to be part of the combat rhythm, why did they make it cancel abilities? Since it cancels Iron Skin, it's literally useless in combat for now, at least for Rhino and such. 

If they rework that, and as you said, allow momentum conservation, they could be really useful in combat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe the best way forward is to be able to use secondaries while on k drive, additionally, be able to mine and fish for servo fish as well (but not regular fish since the noise would likely drive off the fish), and unlike archwing, toggle abilities would remain active like if you're on a grineer vehicle on the plains (ie desecrate, mend/maim, etc.)

This gives k drives a decided reason to be used, it's not a huge reason, but it's a reason.  ideally k drives should be more accessible to newer players than archwing as well, which I'm fairly certain they might be debatably, since it's really a question of player skill if they can complete vox solaris at low MR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the assessment is spot-on. Currently, Archwing is faster than K-Drives, offers more freedom of movement than K-drives, and offers more combat options than K-Drives, so there is strictly no functional reason to use a K-Drive over Archwing for traversal in a mission. K-Drives need to offer some advantage over Archwing to compete, and it's this critical missing element that makes me wonder how DE did not anticipate that players would almost exclusively go for what's optimal, as they usually do.

With this in mind, I also agree that, at the very least, the boost speed on K-Drives needs to be significantly faster, and should offer faster travel than an Archwing's boost. The base speed I think can stay the same, since having a low-ish speed can be useful for finer positioning. Beyond that, I think the moveset and underlying tech for K-Drives needs to be redone so that players get to use their weapons, perhaps even their abilities, while on one. Currently there are way too many different buttons assigned to tricks, even though most of these tricks lack any real differentiation from each other, and these inputs take up the space usually reserved for shooting and aiming. Condensing our same range of tricks into fewer inputs would help make room for combat options, and perhaps adjusting our current movement options with K-Drives to allow for a wider range of grinding, as well as finer jumping (the current pre-emptive charged jump doesn't work well with having to quickly navigate obstacles), would make us much more maneuverable on ground, and would thereby justify K-Drives better relative to Archwing even in multiplayer missions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2018-12-10 at 4:53 AM, Teridax68 said:

I think the assessment is spot-on. Currently, Archwing is faster than K-Drives, offers more freedom of movement than K-drives, and offers more combat options than K-Drives, so there is strictly no functional reason to use a K-Drive over Archwing for traversal in a mission. K-Drives need to offer some advantage over Archwing to compete, and it's this critical missing element that makes me wonder how DE did not anticipate that players would almost exclusively go for what's optimal, as they usually do.

With this in mind, I also agree that, at the very least, the boost speed on K-Drives needs to be significantly faster, and should offer faster travel than an Archwing's boost. The base speed I think can stay the same, since having a low-ish speed can be useful for finer positioning. Beyond that, I think the moveset and underlying tech for K-Drives needs to be redone so that players get to use their weapons, perhaps even their abilities, while on one. Currently there are way too many different buttons assigned to tricks, even though most of these tricks lack any real differentiation from each other, and these inputs take up the space usually reserved for shooting and aiming. Condensing our same range of tricks into fewer inputs would help make room for combat options, and perhaps adjusting our current movement options with K-Drives to allow for a wider range of grinding, as well as finer jumping (the current pre-emptive charged jump doesn't work well with having to quickly navigate obstacles), would make us much more maneuverable on ground, and would thereby justify K-Drives better relative to Archwing even in multiplayer missions.

well this is DE they tend to go by what sounds cool or sounds good on paper. i think this is just developer/game company  general issue but it is still a little issue. then again it might be a general problem everyone has then. as they had the  thought of the idea of k drives but the other stuff like players choosing the optimal gear and stuff to grind their game was just an after thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archwing speed was already nerfed to make these look faster, we would likely just get another archwing speed nerf rather than a k-drive buff. k-drives are fun and do not need to be faster, their selling point is fun and well not getting knocked out of the air.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...