Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ubisoft's Avatar movie game was literally the prototype for Warframe

(NSW)Thace

On 2018-12-01 at 4:22 AM, DeMonkey said:

Warframe was an idea before even then, although I can't remember specifics.

This is true. It has been around longer than most people may think.

Warframe has been around longer in concept(first under Dark Sector), and in product. The concepts started around 2000

Dark Sector has some of the early concepts of Warframe(Tenno, Glaive, Lotus Logo, etc). Dark Sector was finally released, in 2008, after having some struggles for years. The game had some success, so the Warframe concepts+assets were taken further and made into the game, Warframe. Warframe was finally fully released in 2013. 

Edited by GrayFrequency

On 2018-12-01 at 5:25 AM, (NSW)Thace said:

Yeah but how similar the avatar game looks compared to Waframes gameplay, its insane how similar it is, even to the way the player moves when he's firing weapons behind while running. 

Avatar came out in 2009 and Waframe in 2013 as I'm sure you know. I know DE had piles of concept art and designs from way back in 2001, but still, this is crazy. 

This is like saying the Arnold Shwarzenneger version of Total Recall is the basis Lotus-Natah/Sacrifice storyline, Or that Grineer are based off of the Americanized Robotech anime of the 80s (cloned, brutish mining force that was militarized by their overlords; the aesthetics are shockingly similar down to ships and colors).  In fact, there are a TON of similarities to Robotech (the main character is teen-age pilot with a special connection to his mecha for starters).

Anyway, my point is that trends and influences can be found in sci-Fi, but carry back much further than Avatar.

The DE developers and creators are guys in their 40s (roughly) so a lot of what they were influenced by goes back much further...and those influences have a basis in sci-Fi that goes back even further than that.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73