Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where are the Trials?

-RIPD-Unduku

This is not a crying Post. This is just a Question. Digital Extremes are you still working on new Trials or did you discarded this Idea? It could be a Topic for the next Devstream.

I remember as Digital Extremes shutdown the Trials and as they promised to bring them back at the end of 2018. So now we have December 2018 and we still wait.

Steve said we will show you that we dont need 3 years for a new version, like we needed for Dark Sectors. Oh and we still wait for Dark Sectors 2.0. 

Edited by -RIPD-Unduku

TL;DW: Orb fights are hopefully gonna provide a bit of relieve as endgame activity until Trials (which are still being worked on) are back.

We'll see. Luckily there are more games out there to keep myself busy until Trials drop.

They never said that Trials would come back before the end of 2018. They axed the content and its likely that LOR and JV will never come back.

They said that they would bring Trials back "later", but considering their history and how Dark Sectors are out of the game since more than 3 years, it will take a lot of time until we can even hear the word "Trials" again.

What I personally think we will get is stuff like Railjack and the Venus Orb fights being considered "Trials". It will not be exactly the so called Trials, but the idea of being some sort of end game content that requires planing and a team to do it.

They should bring back solar rail conflicts and implement player stalker before even start thinking of trials. I mean, solar rails went into armistice years ago and we still have no words about it, and player stalker was revealed and been in a playable state at least half a year before trials were cut.

all the good stuff in this game is out Trials, Dark Sector the good Void System. Now they release boring Stuff like Eidolons, Open World with 4 players and 2 hours content. you need to play 100 hours with no fun just for mastery. grinding  2 hours on a kdrive to rank it up to rank 30. Since Trials are down, i played the game 1 - 2 times at a month (before every day). There is no new content in 2018 the only thing is the new Open World. Ok the second Open World is a little bit better, but why DE not look at other games for inspiration like destiny. Theres so many potential for an Warframe Open World and what we get is like garbage.

Edited by BlackZzor

On 2018-12-02 at 4:29 PM, -RIPD-Unduku said:

I remember as Digital Extremes shutdown the Trials and as they promised to bring them back at the end of 2018. So now we have December 2018 and we still wait. 

They never said that.

There is a lot of hope that railjack mechanics will offer better 4+ player content. So the programing has a solid base for extensions instead of the old Trials unique ducttape and bailing wire programing for every special situation which caused it to bug out every major update.

And the opportunity for practical split teamwork instead of glorified button puzzles where everyone just blasts their CC of choice. The Railjack mechanics don't even require the big spaceships for Raids. The system itself is built for better player teleportation programing and would make fights where you transition from different entities like Jordas Golem to be less problematic. Like the Grineer bullet pod in the invasion tile that teleports players from one part of the map to another. Not even sure that event room even exists anymore either.

Edited by Firetempest

46 minutes ago, BlackZzor said:

all the good stuff in this game is out Trials, Dark Sector the good Void System. Now they release boring Stuff like Eidolons, Open World with 4 players and 2 hours content. you need to play 100 hours with no fun just for mastery. grinding  2 hours on a kdrive to rank it up to rank 30. Since Trials are down, i played the game 1 - 2 times at a month (before every day). There is no new content in 2018 the only thing is the new Open World. Ok the second Open World is a little bit better, but why DE not look at other games for inspiration like destiny. Theres so many potential for an Warframe Open World and what we get is like garbage.

Well each to his own, i never cared for trials, i prefer the new void system and i wasnt around for the Dark Sector. My advice? Take a break from WF for a year or two.

People complaining about Dark Sectors being gone for over three years now should keep in mind that DE was working on them for awhile.

It was Onslaught. It was going to be the new form of Dark Sectors and they changed their mind very late in it's development.

And anyone who wants Dark Sectors back and doesn't like Onslaught should be glad that we don't have Dark Sectors 2.0 yet.

As far as Trials go people need to not hold out any hope for Trials 2.0 to be anything like the original Trials. They got scrapped for more reasons than stability and the interactions/mechanics used in them will probably never return, at least not in any state that resembles their original iterations.

On 2018-12-02 at 8:38 AM, uxx0 said:

TL;DW: Orb fights are hopefully gonna provide a bit of relieve as endgame activity until Trials (which are still being worked on) are back.

We'll see. Luckily there are more games out there to keep myself busy until Trials drop.

actually they dont seem to be worked on actively right now scot was saying something like they where to custom and fragile breaking at even slightest little thing so would take too much work than anyone there currently had given other projects

DE still is sore about trials being a vastly harder challenge than eidolons and still thinks ESO and arbitrations are challenging and unique enough to be called "end game". So I doubt we will hear anymore of them. Just more modes that are nothing but a gear check.

I just hope I am outright proven wrong and orbs will prove to be a real challenge. More so than eidolons which are just a glorified gear check. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb HellVOps:

Well each to his own, i never cared for trials, i prefer the new void system and i wasnt around for the Dark Sector. My advice? Take a break from WF for a year or two.

Taking a break doesn't fix the issue though, that's in DE's hands.

3 hours ago, German said:

Taking a break doesn't fix the issue though, that's in DE's hands.

And? all that takes time, time for him to unwind/relax from warframe and the problem he has with it and time for DE to do their thing, both win in the end. That's of course if DE are actively working to bring the old type of raids which I honestly believe they won't, they may bring something similar and smaller in scale just appease those who want "RAIDS". Besides, there are A LOT of examples of players who played /started WF>could not get into it cuz of example A/B/C>left for Time X>Came back and fell in love rise and repeat and the cycle continues.

Edited by HellVOps

1 hour ago, Leyers_of_facade said:

The trials are resting in a special place....
next to dark sector conflicts, void keys, coptering....

may they rest in pieces  peace

would not be surprised even if with trials disabled they are just broken to high heaven with the game rolling in updates like a cosmic event 
Warframe updated? *magic hammer falls on trials breaking it some how*

seriously even hotfixs solely made to fix a bug in trials just broke it some were else honestly was funny and didnt see the appeal just do this missions with all the CC/utlity on the planet so your under no real threat like the normal game the only thing hard about it was some enemies couldn't be CCd or some sort of puzzle currently have a bet going with my freind when tirals come back people are going to complain its too easy due to rising power creep even if they did the level ranges exactly the same 

Please add the raids again...at least for a month or something like this ,cuz some of us didn't even experienced the trials and me personally,i have one regret.... I really love that "Sevhati Sekhara " and " Aseron Sekhara".  I really want to make my warframe more stylish with those ones,so please...add an event or add them permanently back for all players to enjoy them. I know you can do it! You ll never regret this!

On 2018-12-07 at 12:54 PM, Leyers_of_facade said:

The trials are resting in a special place....
next to dark sector conflicts, void keys, coptering....

Two of these things are not like the others, two of the things don't belong...

Coptering and void keys immediately got replaced with better systems and therefore do not sit in that "special place"; dark sector conflict and trials got removed with the intention eventual replacement, but no immediate plans.

Wall of text incoming...

As far as I understand trials got removed because they were like "a leaky bucket of bugs" that wasn't reaching the intended scope of audience; every time DE would patch a bug (leak), two more would show up.  As DE tries to make content for the entire playerbase, the small but passionate trial community was no longer enough reason to maintain upkeep on the "bucket".

Dark sector conflict reached a similar end, years prior, as there were far too many clans fighting over far too few nodes. Dark sector conflict in that form could not remain as engaging content for the entire playerbase.

"But why did they have to be removed?"

This is actually pretty simple; DE considered themselves unready to immediately replace the systems, but if they were to be left in the game they would continue to develop/manifest bugs that would draw away dev resources, and continue to generate player complaints as broken, unfulfilled systems. However, if removed, the only people who would complain are the people who care about those systems, and a good portion of them can be led to understand that this move is what would give those systems the greatest chance of a rebirth.

"When will they be replaced?"
I am not part of DE, so I shouldn't try to answer this... but I won't let that stop me.

First, don't expect them to be the same when they come back, because if they were already perfect, they wouldn't need to be removed. Second, they don't have to be replaced all at once; in some part they could already be returning. Trials were challenging content to be learned and mastered as a group,  which over time you would be able to run faster and faster. Oh, they also gave arcanes. Sound a bit like the Eidolon fights to you?

"But I don't like Eidolon fights as much as liked trials, and trials could be run with 8 people."

True, trials could be run with 8 people, but they were often run with just 4, due to the amount of interest players had in the trials; that could be something to think about. As far as liking trials more than Eidolon fights, I lack hard data, but I suspect more people like and run Eidolon fights than liked and ran trials. In a bit over a week from my writing this, I expect there will be Orb fights as well, to help fill out the variety of replacements.

Eight player content may return someday, but there is no great reason it should be tied to something exactly like the trials.

Dark sector conflict was not something I ever directly experienced, despite playing from before they were removed, but I suspect the core concept that DE would be trying to preserve from it is "an overarching goal that entire clans can work toward, together." The DE work-in-progress codename that comes to mind is a the Kingpin system; we haven't seen much of it yet, but what we have seen shows more promise to me than a direct remake of dark sector conflict.

So in answer to the OP's post, while I don't recall any promise from DE to replace trials before the end of 2018, it seem like it will happen anyway, as long as you are open-minded to considering Eidolon and Orb fights as a replacement. For dark sector conflict's replacement, well, yes, we still wait.

Edited by Nomayonnaiseinireland

Why would there be new trials? They'll just have to take them out like they did with LoR. The problem with the trials is they are fixed level content that cant compete with the people who are capable of running mission to mob lv 300+. While they may be throwing the idea around, I dont see it happening unless it's a temporary thing.