Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr feels outdated (partial rework suggestions)

AtrociousRuber

As the title suggests, Valkyr feels very outdated, and playing with her feels downright stupid. Her kit has almost no synergy with itself and 2 of her skills are completely useless in combat.

Ripline is a skill that's most fitted to loki or even trinity to be honest since they are mostly utility/support warframes, but definitely not to Valkyr, so , here's a suggestion:

(imput random badass name here):
Valkyr performs 4-6-8-10 quick slashes around her each hit dealing 100 damage each hit with her talons.

OR

Valkyr tears apart the nearest enemy using her talons hitting him 4-6-8-10 times dealing 250 damage each hit.

Now, the trick here is with power strength would increase the hits she does, and not the damage of each hit. That way, she can raise her combo multiplier really fast, and since her kit screams "I WANT TO PUNCH THIS GUY THROUGH THE WALL" rising combo easily is an ideal skill for her. I am well aware that she has no problem getting her combo multiplier up, but still, this will propably make it easier. The damage per hit would also scale with combo multiplier and it would also be able to crit. Each hit would take 0.1 seconds to perform, so 30 hits would mean 3 seconds.
This only applies to the second suggestion. If the target died before the 10 hits happened, valkyr would gain double the remaining hits combo. Example: valkyr uses that ability on a target with 750 hp, meaning 3 hits, so 3 + 7*2 = 17 combo multiplier gained from that target.

The numbers might be insanely high, might be insanely low, might be balanced,please do NOT post "hey this sounds op the numbers are too high" i know. i know it. i'm just pointing a possible theme for her ability. the numbers can only be balanced by the developers and the balance team after testing, and not me.

Paralysis is also an ability that in my opinion does not suit valkyr. her shields are already extremely low, and in all honesty, i dont think there's a single serius valkyr player who even tries to use that skill. instead of wasting time casting that skill, she could simply punch the enemy and that way she'd kill them, so how about this:

(a different badass name): Valkyr's melee weapon is filled with her rage, and it gains 25%/50%/75%/100% blast damage and a flat amount of range for 20 seconds.

This is something that i personaly think is more of a need and not a buff. Valkyr is one of the very few warframes that cant really deal with crowds. I suspect this would help her.

And while i do believe her passive makes perfect sense, i mean, she's a berserker, she wants to get up and beat the enemy more, what if she felt more like a berserker than she already is? 

Passive: Whenever valkyr kills an enemy or is hit by a melee attack, she gains 1 stack of Berserker's rage. Each stack gives 0.33% movement speed and 1% faster knockdown recovery. Upon hitting 100 stacks, they are used (goes down to 0) to make her unstopable(unable to be knocked down) and gains 100% movementspeed for 20 seconds. This ability is unaffected by stat mods. Valkyr is unable to gain any berserker's rage stacks while this persists.

An uneeded adition, but i'd love to see it. Just a happy thought, nothing crazy like MOAR attackspeed and MOAR melee damage, just a "GET OVER HERE!!!!"

She recently got in the prime vault, lets get her out of the dissapointment vault.

Edited by AtrociousRuber

I think you're missing the point of Paralysis.  It's a cheap CC that pretends to have damage dealing potential, and if you use Prolonged Paralysis it's vastly improved both in its control effect and it becomes an indirect crowd clearer - just add melee. 

Personally I would like Ripline to stay in theme, just get retouched a bit for QoL and functionality.  EG: tap to pull a target to you, land a melee strike/finisher when they reach you; hold to pull yourself, if you land on an enemy, instant melee strike/finisher. 

Might also be nice to get Warcry recastable and/or make the debuff be more of a factor. 

What I think would be interesting would be an elevated state for her and her abilities when she's using Hysteria like:

Spoiler

Damage absorbed by Hysteria is tracked as a boon until it ends. 

If Ripline effects an enemy, one more enemy is effected per X damage received.  When moving with Ripline, automatically strike any enemy within X radius. 

When casting Paralysis, a portion of absorbed damage is added to the damage as though it were shields. 

Allies under the effects of Warcry gain a small DR that feeds into Valkyr's absorbed damage.  Enemies debuffed by Warcry receive a portion of the damage dealt to other debuffed enemies based on absorbed damage. 

1 hour ago, AtrociousRuber said:

Ripline is a skill that's most fitted to loki or even trinity to be honest since they are mostly utility/support warframes

What?

1 hour ago, AtrociousRuber said:

Paralysis is also an ability that in my opinion does not suit valkyr. her shields are already extremely low, and in all honesty, i dont think there's a single serius valkyr player who even tries to use that skill. instead of wasting time casting that skill, she could simply punch the enemy and that way she'd kill them, so how about this:

(a different badass name): Valkyr's melee weapon is filled with her rage, and it gains 25%/50%/75%/100% blast damage and a flat amount of range for 20 seconds.

This is something that i personaly think is more of a need and not a buff. Valkyr is one of the very few warframes that cant really deal with crowds. I suspect this would help her.

Where does Blast fit into her theme more than literally shedding her defenses and stunning enemies with a yell?

19 minutes ago, NoLazyShadow said:

She not not feels very outdated. SHE IS god damn outdated, weak and broken, yet people dont even care about her!

She's neither weak nor broken. I refuse to believe you even play Valkyr.

I would change Ripline into a big leap that scales with your Bullet Jump velocity and deals damage to anyone you land near; pointing this ability at an enemy will leap right towards them. This ability can only be cast while not airborne.

I would replace the immunity on Hysteria with high damage reduction. Toggle god-mode is poor design.

War Cry is good.

Paralysis is also good.

Edited by Xiusa
hysteria is god mode

Paralysis opens enemies to finishers regardless of what her shields are at.  So it's already good.  Then again you can just meme play her by slide meleeing everything since it's multi hit with insane damage multiplier and can be followed up with a held attack that knocks an enemy on the ground to do a finisher.  Ripline fits as well.  But is outdated primarily due to parkour changes forever ago.

il y a 4 minutes, peterc3 a dit :

She's neither weak nor broken. I refuse to believe you even play Valkyr

I dont. Because i can play rhino instead of valkyr, who does everything better than valkyr, and he is not easy to kill anyway, so there. Better CC , Better buff, Not as good but quite similar defensive skill i dont see the reason why i should play a weak version of a warframe when i can play a better one.

il y a 28 minutes, CriticalFumble a dit :

I think you're missing the point of Paralysis.  It's a cheap CC that pretends to have damage dealing potential, and if you use Prolonged Paralysis it's vastly improved both in its control effect and it becomes an indirect crowd clearer - just add melee. 

CC is something that killable or support characters like vauban need in order to survive. Valkyr is not killable. Why waste your time on using that instead of rising your combo multiplier? Valkyr does not need any cc or any utility 100% because of her toggled immunity. Its like attaching a water bottle to an assault rifle. Sure, it could help, you might REALLY need some water while you are killing live people, but its not as useful as a laser sight or a scope. 

il y a 2 minutes, peterc3 a dit :

Then play Rhino. I would play Trinity more if she played like Valkyr. Should DE make Trinity like Valkyr?

Trinity and valkyr are 2 different warframes. They serve different purposes ,their goals are different and they fill a different role in a team of 4. Rhino and valkyr fill the same role. They are hard to kill, and their role is to absorb damage for their teammates since no other warframe is as durable as valkyr, and i'd argue that rhino is tougher than inaros.
Valkyr and Rhino are more or less the same warframe, one inferior to the other. Yes she is tougher, but that's really an illusion. in low levels, both are unkillable, and in high levels, there are a ton of leeches and parasitic eximus that neither of them have energy to become unkillable. the difference is, valkyr needs to have all the time energy, while rhino has to have only for a very very short amount, enough so that he can use his iron skin. so in some cases, rhino is tougher than valkyr.

What you compared are 2 different things, but different as in "whats the difference between a sandwich and an airplane" and i compared "what's a better cpu? an AMD or an Intel?"  i am not Suggesting to make valkyr stronger so that she does better than rhino what rhino does. I'm suggesting give trinity a more unique identity. Saryn feels amazing when there are a million mobs in front of you and you have 2k damage on your spores. I thought valkyr should feel the same, and not like a mediocre volt or rhino. Volt can deal the same damage as valkyr with any melee weapon, Rhino can tank almost as good or in certain situations (which are limited to be honest) he can tank better than her. There is nothing unique about valkyr , except for out of place abilities that have absolutely nothing to do with her kit. 

As KnightRaime said and i quote:

il y a 38 minutes, (XB1)Knight Raime a dit :

Paralysis opens enemies to finishers regardless of what her shields are at.  So it's already good.  Then again you can just meme play her by slide meleeing everything since it's multi hit with insane damage multiplier and can be followed up with a held attack that knocks an enemy on the ground to do a finisher

Why use a skill waste mana, shields (as little as it is) and time, when you can NOT do that, and instead do something that is more efficient and more powerful?

I have with Valky over 50% of my playtime. >_> (I swear I play her way less than that, or afk time counts too?)

AND?

I love ripline, only change I would like to is is that you pull yourself to enemy not him to the ...outerspace.

Warcry needs working, good effect it has that it also slows enemies around upon cast, but since Eternal War is a thing you can't really make use of that, I would change it to an aura (with reduced range ofc), uk, enemies around you are slowed when Warcry is up.

Paralisis is not that bad since it stuns and opens to finishers, but yeah, kinda outdated.

Hysteria? I would buff her claws...

And passive? Well, 90% of the frames have useless passive so w/e.

Edited by Critiamat

I love her Warcry, Paralysis, and Hysteria. Ripline is pointless with the general state of Parkour (or the fact that the impact on enemies is the same as two weapons in game, Harpak and one infested weapon which its name eludes me). So, why not implement it into her parkour, like instead of a standard bullet jump you Ripline. This frees up the 1st slot for a new Area of Effect ability or Group Synergy Effect. Warcry is nearly perfect IMO. Paralysis should scale off her armor and have no negative penalties (such as losing shields). Hysteria should get increased range as it is channeled. As for her passive, give her a natural health, armor, and lifesteal(while Hysteria is active) aura.

For Ripline, how 'bout this?

Pulling enemies is done via a hold function, where Valkyr enters a Bladestorm-esque multi-enemy targeting mode,
enemies that are still within LOS when you release the button will be pulled, with a ... let's say 10 Energy cost each,
limit the maximum number of targets to 5 or so, to not step on Mag's toes too hard.

Tapping 1 on an environmental object will fling you towards it same as it works now,
except it also only costs 10 Energy (or maybe even less), and the pull is much stronger / more direct,
basically, make it a Spider-Man web zip type thing rather than the meh mobility option it is now.
(And change the silly Augment to something useful already.)

On enemies, the tap function (for 25 Energy) propels Valkyr straight on top of them,
making her perform a Ground Finisher (or just deal boosted damage if the enemy isn't susceptible to those),
and also knocking down enemies nearby upon the initial impact with the enemy.

Warcry should be recastable while active, not least so you can easily (re)apply the effect on allies with Eternal War builds.

Paralysis is ~fine IMO, 5 Energy for an AoE stun, Finishers, and maybe even useful damage, seems hardly terrible.
The Augment, costing you (a Mod slot and) said Finishers though, could maybe also give a range boost or something.

Hysteria granting (limited-because-of-high-Energy-drain) invincibility ... eh, I don't really have a problem with that, TBH.
Random idea, though - what if you added a bit of Squad support, like, upon deactivation,
Valkyr radiates a healing pulse (charged from Hysteria kills), I think that could be neat.

If ripline going to be removed Ill abandon Valkyr

7 hours ago, AtrociousRuber said:

and in high levels, there are a ton of leeches and parasitic eximus that neither of them have energy to become unkillable. the difference is, valkyr needs to have all the time energy, while rhino has to have only for a very very short amount, enough so that he can use his iron skin. so in some cases, rhino is tougher than valkyr.

Thats why I run Hunter Adrenaline :^)

Anyway Hysteria is only my "oh S#&$ button", Im doing fine even vs 150lvl enemy (life strike ooop)

11 hours ago, AtrociousRuber said:

CC is something that killable or support characters like vauban need in order to survive.

Then I suspect you really hate Inaros' kit? 

I accept that you don't understand how to use Paralysis, though I do find it amusing that you can't see how it fixes some of her shortcomings, especially with the augment.  Again, she has no nuke-type ability, but PP pulls everything into range even for short melees and/or ones you don't want to fit Primed Reach on.  You can then kill them all easily with your melee with or without ground finishers while building the combo counter you seem laser focused on - all this at a negligible cost. 

I agree that Valkyr needs updating, but not really with the updates you've proposed. I like the idea of some of the implementation of the melee system into Valkyr's kit, but I feel like it can be done much more fluidly and naturally. 

Valkyr was the first Warframe I've ever farmed for, and I've played her for four years now. Here's my input on this based on my experience with the Warframe. I'm putting my feedback on your ideas down first, and then I'll put my own suggestions for Valkyr at the end. 

12 hours ago, AtrociousRuber said:

(imput random badass name here):
Valkyr performs 4-6-8-10 quick slashes around her each hit dealing 100 damage each hit with her talons.

OR

Valkyr tears apart the nearest enemy using her talons hitting him 4-6-8-10 times dealing 250 damage each hit.

There's a few problems I have with this idea. One, as you said, it's already really easy for her to build hits with the combo counter. Two, this doesn't exactly solve the problem of her 1 with it being redundant. Only instead of being redundant because of Parkour 2.0, this is redundant because melee weapons deal more damage, Naramon essentially makes your combo duration unlimited, and the attack speed from Warcry can make her combo counter scale up absurdly fast anyway. 

Paralysis is also an ability that in my opinion does not suit valkyr. her shields are already extremely low, and in all honesty, i dont think there's a single serius valkyr player who even tries to use that skill. instead of wasting time casting that skill, she could simply punch the enemy and that way she'd kill them

I've spent the last year using this skill. 😛 It's better than you think it is. I usually run it without the augment, but I've had a lot of use for it either way. 

Its main benefit is opening enemies to finishers, which is something that absolutely should exist in a melee-oriented Warframe's kit (and Valkyr is the only 100% melee oriented Warframe, so that goes double for her). 

What I've done with it in the past is stacking some range mods on Valkyr, then using it to stun enemies who I'm not close enough to attack. Since I don't play Hysteria, it's a welcome boost to my survivability. There's some element of truth to the idea that it's better to kill an enemy than CC them, but CCing enemies out of your reach so you have time to kill the ones who are within your reach is pretty helpful.

That's not necessarily a bad idea in a vacuum, but I don't like the idea of giving her yet another duration buff. One of my complaints about her is that you really only press 2 (and sometimes 4) once per mission, and then basically never cast anything again. And I especially don't like the idea of replacing her only access to finishers with this ability. 

With that being said, giving her a way to expand her damage radius is a good idea, but I don't think this is the way it should be done. 

Here's my suggestions for Valkyr. 

Spoiler

Rip Line

• If cast on an enemy midair, Valkyr pulls herself to that enemy instead of the other way around
  • If cast while on the ground, Valkyr pulls the target to her feet instead of flinging them unpredictably 
  • If Valkyr casts Rip Line on an enemy, she will perform a ground finisher on the target

Paralysis

• Each level of the melee combo counter adds 2 meters to the range of Paralysis, affected by range mods
  • Applies Warcry's slow OR blinds targets for a short duration (one or the other)
  • Performing a charged attack casts Paralysis for free, adding the charged attack damage to Paralysis's damage

Passive

• It ain't broke. Don't fix it. 

A bit of history: 

Long before movement 2.0 introduced parkour, her rip line was considered too good because it was instant or near-instant, and was nerfed to slow down her movement. For today's standards, it is a crappy hook.

My ideas of enhancements over her standard kit:

PASSIVE: keep as-is with a small improvement: ledge climbing is also 50% faster (that little pirouette to go from wall running/ledge grabbing to an horizontal plane).

RIP LINE: Make it an instant latch-on, super-fast for ultra-mobility.
When cast airborne or towards an enemy which is knocked down, stunned, sleeping or otherwise open to finishers, pounces on enemy (instead of pulling it) dealing finisher damage with melee. When cast airborne towards the ground, should trigger a melee ground impact attack. If Heavy Impact or weapon arcanes that trigger ground impact effects are equipped, those increase the AoE effect/damage.
Casting/speed rework should provide mobility speed faster than standard parkour. Speed should scale with ability strength.

WARCRY: Armor buff should be a flat increase scaling with strength, so it always benefit all allies. Dispel status effects on casting, and reduce status duration on allies while in effect.

PARALYSIS: Shield loss should trigger mod effects and chance to trigger arcanes which are triggered with damage/shield loss. Enemies defenses (armor/shields) are temporarily lowered by paralysis before damage is applied. Pure health enemies (most infested) Are paralyzed for a longer duration.

HYSTERIA: Remove damage immunity but retain status immunity.
Change damage accumulation to be calculated AFTER armor and resistances are applied, not before.
Integrate Hysterical assault's Pounce movement to base ability. Replace with: All abilities have energy efficiency/drain reduced for X seconds per kill while Hysteria is active. Stacks Y times.

Edited by BrazilianJoe

....Anyway.  Valkyr is mostly fine as is unlike some other frames out there that need a heafty amount of changes.  But I guess i'll throw my hat into the ring as well since i'm also a long time Valk player and i've finally come around to the side of updating her.

Hysteria:  Her signature ability is pretty good as is.  But I feel like hysterical assault is something that should be on the ability by default.  So that's what i'd do.  And change the augment...Say let her leap do ground finishers.  This way she gets the mobility by default but the extra functionality with the augment.

Warcry:  Is a good but weird ability.  It's a team buff/enemy debuff.  The augment really shines that team buff role but ditches the enemy debuff.  The slow on it in practice isn't super helpful.  I would consider replacing the slow debuff with something else.  Potentially create a field around her that reduces enemies accuracy.  Sort of thematic along the lines of why slow is there.  But arguably more useful for a melee frame than a slow is.

Paralysis:  This basically exists to allow her to finisher enemies on demand.  Which is rather strong.  But the shield interaction with this ability is pretty redundant.  She doesn't build for shields and iirc she doesn't even need to have shields to perform the stun.  So maybe remove the shield interaction entirely.  Turn the AoE of the stun into a 360% instead of a cone.  Her augment does this already but brings other benefits.  I think it's fair to give her a 360% stun as a melee frame with no range.  And maybe encourage the use of using this a bit more for finishers by adding a multiplier to her next finisher based attack.

Ripline: Was a good ability for it's time.  But with parkour 2.0 it's become redundant outside of ripping flying enemies down and the odd ground finisher.  One idea could be to let her get pulled to an enemy she hits with ripline.  But it's hard to pin point targets in a crowd with this ability.  So maybe not.   And then give her a movement speed/bullet jump speed increase after using ripline for x period of time.  And using it again refreshes this speed.  Her augment should be changed to something else since her one being cheaper isn't a big grab.  Maybe make it so rag dolled enemies from ripline lose their gun and become melee.

Passive:  Is already very strong for a melee frame.  But I would like to see her perform mantling animations faster.  And also potentially allow her to gain health from finisher kills.  That way she's not as reliant on dipping into her ultimate.

TLDR:

~Hysteria gets it's pounce function built in and the augment turns her pounces into finishers.

~Warcry loses it's slow debuff and instead creates an aura around Valk that reduces enemy accuracy.

~Paralysis loses the ability to do damage from shedding shields.  Gains a 360% aoe instead of a cone.  Performing a finisher on a stunned target increases the damage for her next finisher based attack.

~Ripline now gives a speed/bullet jump increase after using it.  Recasting refreshes it.  Ripline augment changed to her disarming targets she's hit with ripline.

~Passive now includes mantling as an action that she performs faster as well as healing from finisher based kills in addition to her current passive bonuses.

Il y a 17 heures, CriticalFumble a dit :

Then I suspect you really hate Inaros' kit? 

I accept that you don't understand how to use Paralysis, though I do find it amusing that you can't see how it fixes some of her shortcomings, especially with the augment.  Again, she has no nuke-type ability, but PP pulls everything into range even for short melees and/or ones you don't want to fit Primed Reach on.  You can then kill them all easily with your melee with or without ground finishers while building the combo counter you seem laser focused on - all this at a negligible cost. 

Inaros is a tank support warframe. Not a Damage dealer like Saryn or Ember. When you try to put 1 of everything in a warframe you are bound to make the mechanics of the warframe weak. Valkyr has 1 mobility skill(ripline) ,1 damage skill ( warcry) ,1 cc skill (paralysis) , and 1 tank skill(hysteria). Everything on her is conditional. Damage boost is only on melee, Durability is only as long as you continusly find energy,Ripline is only useful as long as you play conclaive and nowhere else simply because of the way parkour works.

Now, valkyr is a golden example of making a "Jack of all traits" done bad. DE has put a skill of toggled imortality and thus everything else has to be weak in order for toggled imortality to work. Rhino however, that i compared him to valkyr, is a Jack of all Traits done good. He has powerful cc,his mobility skill also has some use in battle, and in order to become tanky enough to be comparable to valkyr, you have to use all of your mods towards that goal, so you can focus on 1 thing, and be relaly good at it. You want to be support? Strength and duration are your best options. Want to be tank? Armor and Strength. Want to do damage and be tank? sacrifice range for duration.

And enough with this BS "yeah you can pull this guy to you and beat him with melee" NO. Enough with that. That is something you want to see in a movie, and not something you want to do in a game. Why pull ONE MOB towards you, when you can just shoot him with your primary? Why the hell some of you forgot that you also have another 2 weapons in your loadout??? Another reason as to why you wouldnt want to use that skill to pull somebody on you is, i dont know, propably you can walk to him.  think about how much time it takes to pull a guy towards you, and kill him with melee. Are you really interested in wasting that much energy? listen. Valkyr is good under 1 condition. Melee only in a sortie. Also, if you have enough mana to use ripline to pull somebody towards you, then you definitely are not using your ultimate, and thus, you can use more than your talons. Ripline is useless in PVE and has limited , though VERY satisfying use in conclaive(that nobody even mentioned) and its only if you are reloading and you absolutely have to cc the guy. Ripline has not changed for so long cus its not a bad skill for conclaive, where you indeed have a reason to pull the guy towards you, since he is cc'd for the duration, while you are readying your melee hit.

PVE however, is not like that. There are a lot of mobs, and every single bit of energy is useful to you to do the one and only thing that no other warframe can do as good as you. Stay immortal. All those "opens up for a finisher attack" are baseless points. Why finisher? Why?. Why waste up to 12 mana for 1 combo counter and kill 1 guy in a million enemies? . what a great argument you guys have there... and yes its 12 mana. 1 for the cast 8 for the finisher because mana consumption does not stop when you do finishers and another 3 for the animation to finish. If he really needs a finisher, then it must be a really health mob, and in order to be a healthy mob, it has be high level, so you it would propably be a good idea to have your hysteria active. if something HAS to absolutely change, it is the paralysis skill. its the most worthless skill on her. Ripline at least has a use in conclaive. When you say "hey it opens up for finisher" you have to think about how much resourses you use to do that. If you dont have your ultimate active, then the mobs are low level, and since they are low level they dont do damage, and they are not durable. So, Primary and secondary weapons, can do the job just fine. 

Insane attackspeed/armor buff , Finisher, Immortality, all those things, are needed for very high level enemies, so you'd only want to pick valkyr in a high level mission, And yet, her damage is not enough to deal with all those high level oponents. 

Truthfuly, i think her one and only downside is that she cant deal with large crowds fast enough. If during her hysteria, every combo counter increased the range of her melee attacks by a %, that would also be perfectly fine. i just personaly think that ripline is useless, and paralysis is a more of a negative than a possitive.

Stop correcting me about "hey you are missing the point of that ability bla bla bla" i 'm not wrong. i know what the ability can do, and i know what you have to waste in order to get its maximum potential. Post your ideas, and give DE some reason to change Valkyr cus weather you like it or not, valkyr is weak cus her kit is for late game, but the short range that she has, its not for late game. its for stealth.

Valks mobility is what makes her more than just a worse Inaros. Ripline is actually the most important ability Valkyr has...atleast if you want to beat Saryns at ESO.

This message was brought to you by someone who actually spent over 1000 hours on Valkyr.

On 2018-12-03 at 7:38 AM, NoLazyShadow said:

Valkyr main ever since her release in update 11. And yes, I do believe she is weak.

Ok,I am gonna bite..What is weak about her that is so bad that she should be put before Nyx and Vauban for a rework?

Because,I played her..Made her my first warframe I built and never stoped coming back to her..Do sorties with her,Do long prime hunts, and basically do a lot of end game content with her and win...So,I need to know..What is so bad about her?

16 minutes ago, (XB1)TheRoflLizard said:

What is weak about her that is so bad that she should be put before Nyx and Vauban for a rework?

Wait, did anybody actually say that?

Other Frames having issues does not make Valkyr's issues disappear / make feedback on them a horrible thing.