Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

WARFRAME ANIME/MANGA (netflix)

-JMC-

i have been playing warframe for about 2-3 years now an i have always loved the setting/characters and thought it would be perfect for an animated series. i know DE doesn't read these forums and someone has probably thought of it by now. but if you think about it, it just works. it has the cast all the different warframes you could introduce a new one every episode if you wanted to. you have the orokin so a place to start the history/backstory ( or you could even make it a prequel to the game WOULD LOVE THAT!) you have the corpus/ greneer/ sentients so you have a rich pool of story material with many enemy/ protagonists to choose from. if DE spoke to netflix for more then 10 minutes i believe the show would write itself and with warframes growing popularity it seems like a no brainer. just please don't give it to an SJW writing room like the witcher got stuck with it would break my heart for politics to destroy it's chances. if anyone else would like to see the same thing let's get some traffic through this thread and make it happen!

I think DE needs to patch up their in-game plot points first before even considering making an Anime.

Spoiler

If they made an Anime based off events in-game, they'd kill off Alad V in episode 3, only to have him show up in Second Dream Act 1, AND have everyone talk to him like "Yeah, remember that time he came back from death BEFORE this point? That was fun", making audience members feel like they're missing MAJOR plot points somewhere, and feeling like it's maybe their fault and maybe they skipped a few chapters? (Also, what's that on his face/cheek?) XD

DE, just have us go to cut scene and have our Warframe Spartan Kick Alad out the window, if that's his "Cannon Death". Please. (I will be writing a huge post on this later though, maybe a couple weeks from now.)

Edited by Tangent-Valley

Anime and Cartoons are sub-sets of the Animation genre of cinema, along with Stop-Motion (also known as "claymation") and CGI. Each has their own fairly distinct tropes, aesthetics, and production techniques, and can be divided into further categories by other differences (For example, classic "Rubber Hose" cartoons such as Popeye and Steamboat Willy vs. the distinct style of the '90's "Disney Renaissance" cartoons such as The Hunchback of Notre Dame.), so yes, the choice between those specific words matters.

Returning to the actual topic, if Games Workshop ever took a break from Warhammer to make a new IP, and decided that new IP had to be a shonen anime about magic child soldiers in space (Which is actually pretty tame compared to Warhammer 40K's premise.), it would bear striking similarity to Warframe. The narrative is about halfway there, but has some very large holes which the wiki barely manages to patch, and which need to be filled in more substantially before it can really be called cohesive.

Edited by Dreddeth
clarification

2 hours ago, Dreddeth said:

The narrative is about halfway there, but has some very large holes which the wiki barely manages to patch, and which need to be filled in more substantially before it can really be called cohesive.

Not to mention most of Warframe's best moments, like the Second Dream reveal or the War Within stripped-of-your-powers mountain climb are only as good as they are because of the gameplay. Of how vulnerable they make the player feel by stripping away their powers.

An anime can't really do that due to the disconnect between the viewer and the characters on screen. Even if you're really invested in a TV show, A Tenno on screen losing their powers is at best worrying - you losing your powers can be downright anxiety-inducing if you have the same level of investment. Of course, this is with various amounts of genre-savviness, investment etc. but a well-executed gut-punch in a game can be far more effective than a similarly well-executed gut-punch in television. It's why so many video game movies suck.

Netflix for anime? No way, period. I love anime, personally, but the way Netflix handles stuff, I cannot abide by that. If you are talking a proper writer taking over any potential script and an actually good studio like UFOTable or Silver Link doing the animation, maybe that would be worth some consideration. But really, if you ask me, I don't think Warframe would translate well into Anime - not because of the aforementioned problem, but the whole aesthetic of it.

If you are talking genre, the studio would have to select either the Shonen or Seinen targeting, then decide on the genre - fantasy will definitely be one of the points, but are they going to make it fluff or some dark world ... it's not something that can be decided just by looking at the game. Sure, there are some mature themes, but the Warframe bosses and the like are very much semi-childish and over the top. Will it have fanservice or not? What would a protagonist look like? What guns will the protagonist use? Will there be Primed Frame usage? Do you use the four game powers or the lore frame powers? Will the protagonist and his (yes, most anime targeted at men have a male protagonist except certain genres like magical girl) frame be godlike (lore) or struggling (gameplay vs level 200s)?

There are many more questions than that. Making a proper anime is a lot more effort than it looks like on the surface, especially if you don't want it to be pointless and completely dependent on fanservice to sell. Anime tends to have a very specific aesthetic if you want it to be a hit with a large audience and I am not talking about excessive levels of exposed girl's skin or panty shots. Warframe's current aesthetic design just won't go down well with that kind of aesthetic. Just because Warframe does have some Neon Genesis Evangelion or Darling in the Franxx vibes doesn't you know, make it good source material.

Of course, I don't have anything against Warframe's Operators looking more Anime Worthy - such as getting rid of the freckles on the face of a male operator (because face it, what kind of guy who spent his life in a cryopod and became void energy would have freckles) and making female operators more ... shapely and aesthetic (personally I would have made a girl operator if she could actually be pretty and have LONG HAIR). But this is another topic.