Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ocucor: does not hold a candle to the Atomos

BrazilianJoe

Ocucor is a weapon with a special feature where it creates additional beams on kill. 

In my mind it immediately draws comparison to the Atomos, where the beams reflects to additional enemies, hitting up to 4 enemies at once if the are in the 7-meter range. 

Problem is Ocucor has terrible ammo economy, low damage, and only creates extra beams on enemy kill, making it less effective and resetting the extra beams too frequently, making it a sucky mastery fodder weapon.

My proposals to improve the weapon: 

Make it go against the grain of other Beams weapons, and make it initial beam start strong, instead of ramping up damage. 
Make it scale crit chance inversely to status chance, according to the number of beams: One beam puts it well above the 100% crit chance, with low status. As more beams are added, crit chance lowers and status chance increases, changing the weapon into a crowd-controller.
Make the first beam a homing beam as well, similar to the Klebrik Scaffold.
Improve ammo efficiency.

Edited by BrazilianJoe

As much as the Ocucor does need buffs, honestly I feel like weapons like the Atomos, Amprex and Ignis Wraith need something to legitimately balance them. Right now they're too effective for how widely applicable they are. Right now the answer to 'Why should I use this' is 'AoE damage' and the answer to 'Why should I not?' usually being 'no reason actually.' Comparing even with the Tigris Prime vs the Strun Wraith. Tigris Prime hits harder and has less overall downtime, but reloads more often meaning that mistakes are more punishing and downtime is more frequent. Strun Wraith has arguably even betters status to be in the same ballpark of damage and can remain in a fight for longer, but you're out of the fight for longer when you reload. There's reasons to use them and reasons not to use them.

That mini-rant aside, these ideas seem interesting, and in keeping with Sentient weapons being 'weird' in some way. I like the idea that it starts as a crit monster to quickly level one or two enemies than switches into being a mass-status beast. For the improved ammo efficiency, I'd reduce the ammo drain. It gives you enough time to actually use the gimmick and means you don't blink before the ammo reserves run out. The gun was honestly what I was looking forward to over the Battacor - though that soon switched after release.

On 2018-12-03 at 6:55 AM, BrazilianJoe said:

Improve ammo efficiency.

Generally, you do that by increasing damage, but I get where you're coming from 🙂

I agree that while the Ocucor has an interesting mechanic and is generally fun to use, it has bad ammo efficiency once enemies get over level 30, and that's even with two Forma. Tentacles on kill is definitely fun, but the problem is killing to get those tentacles and the tentacles themselves are weaker than the main beam and are only really useful at inflicting status procs.

It doesn't help that the weapon's range is pretty short as well and Sinister Reach Ruinous Extension, sadly, is not an option to help remedy that.

Aside from boosting damage a bit, I think allowing Sinister Reach Ruinous Extension to be equipped would make the weapon more appealing. I also think that a mod like Combustion Beam would be very popular with this gun.

Edited by MirageKnight
Lousy memory with regard to mod names :P

On 2018-12-03 at 6:55 AM, BrazilianJoe said:

Ocucor is a weapon with a special feature where it creates additional beams on kill. 

In my mind it immediately draws comparison to the Atomos, where the beams reflects to additional enemies, hitting up to 4 enemies at once if the are in the 7-meter range. 

Problem is Ocucor has terrible ammo economy, low damage, and only creates extra beams on enemy kill, making it less effective and resetting the extra beams too frequently, making it a sucky mastery fodder weapon.

My proposals to improve the weapon: 

Make it go against the grain of other Beams weapons, and make it initial beam start strong, instead of ramping up damage. 
Make it scale crit chance inversely to status chance, according to the number of beams: One beam puts it well above the 100% crit chance, with low status. As more beams are added, crit chance lowers and status chance increases, changing the weapon into a crowd-controller.
Make the first beam a homing beam as well, similar to the Klebrik Scaffold.
Improve ammo efficiency.

actually Ocucor is stronger than alot of other beam weapons. its stronger than phage and stronger than flux rifle, spectra, gammacor and because of its additional effect. the comparison  to atomos or amprex is not a good one because ocucor is more like flux rifle, spectra, gammacor, and synapse. atomos primary effect is to link targets same with amprex.

i would definitely like to see a combustion beam type mod for pistols, and for them to enable the use of ruinous extention. Ocucor is not a weak weapon.

Edited by EinheriarJudith

1 hour ago, EinheriarJudith said:

ruinous extension

Can't believe I forgot the proper name of that mod :facepalm:

Cheers for the reminder!

1 hour ago, EinheriarJudith said:

Ocucor is not a weak weapon.

I wouldn't say that it's "weak", but it's definitely not ammo efficient. I'd recommend either a slight damage increase or a larger magazine with a slightly larger ammo reserve.

5 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

Can't believe I forgot the proper name of that mod :facepalm:

Cheers for the reminder!

I wouldn't say that it's "weak", but it's definitely not ammo efficient. I'd recommend either a slight damage increase or a larger magazine with a slightly larger ammo reserve.

i agree. spectra has more ammo max than ocucor so they could atleast bring it up to that point

Edit: one thing to note here is that where other beam weapons need punch through to maximize damage output ocucor doesnt.

Edited by EinheriarJudith

On 2018-12-04 at 11:40 PM, EinheriarJudith said:

actually Ocucor is stronger than alot of other beam weapons. its stronger than phage and stronger than flux rifle, spectra, gammacor and because of its additional effect. the comparison  to atomos or amprex is not a good one because ocucor is more like flux rifle, spectra, gammacor, and synapse. atomos primary effect is to link targets same with amprex.

i would definitely like to see a combustion beam type mod for pistols, and for them to enable the use of ruinous extention. Ocucor is not a weak weapon. 

The Phage is one of those weapons that needs a riven to bee really good, once you get one with 120% status chance it becomes godly, it basically melts through level 130 enemies, also the synapse really is a lot stronger then the ocucor.

59 minutes ago, BlachWolf said:

The Phage is one of those weapons that needs a riven to bee really good, once you get one with 120% status chance it becomes godly, it basically melts through level 130 enemies, also the synapse really is a lot stronger then the ocucor.

*Level 155 Eximus units. I have a Phage Riven with 120 status and 160 crit. It destroys anything it is pointed at but the ammo efficiency is terrible and the initial beam convergence is a pain. Also the short range.

Without the riven it still destroys anything you aim it at though.

As for the ocucor, I haven't tried it yet so I will not judge it, but from what is being said, It needs better ammo efficiency or damage.

On 2018-12-03 at 2:55 PM, BrazilianJoe said:

Wait.....I look at stats, and i see its very close to Nukor.  And Nukor is a decent weapon.  At least It doesn't feel "weak" even when i go Sorties or such.  

But unlike Nukor, Ocucor also have those extra beams. Means its better than Nukor vs large amounts of enemies.

I would not call that M-fodder.   Its just an OK gun.    

Also, No homing please.  Seriously.  Worst idea ever.  How to hit weakspots if its homing?

Edited by Kainosh

I read that its stats make the ocucor comparable to the gammacor, spectra or nukor etc, and so it's "ok". Honestly, how often have you seen these weapon used in the last 2 years? That doesn't sound like a very flattering comparison.

But in fact, it's even worse. The base stats are misleading, because multishot is probably bugged on that weapon: ms mods affect the beam damage at only 50% of their value (eg barrel diffusion will give 60% instead of 120%), and have no effect at all on the damage of the tendrils, or their number (should increase either one). That's a lot of missing damage! Reported here.

Le 05/12/2018 à 01:41, EinheriarJudith a dit :

where other beam weapons need punch through to maximize damage output ocucor doesnt

I somewhat disagree. We need to spend as little of the magazine as possible while spawning tendrils with the beam, in order to maximize their uptime. In my opinion, vs crowds and in tight areas where ocucor would be most adequate, punchthrough gives the highest damage per ammo per slot.

23 minutes ago, Robolaser said:

I somewhat disagree. We need to spend as little of the magazine as possible while spawning tendrils with the beam, in order to maximize their uptime. In my opinion, vs crowds and in tight areas where ocucor would be most adequate, punchthrough gives the highest damage per ammo per slot.

thats more of a preference. ocucor doesnt need punch through as killing with the weapon will give you aoe. you can only ever have 4 tendrils which do not decay until you reload. a mod that might make better use of this is a magazine mod but again it depends on preference.