Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Android App: Allow in-app purchases of platinum with Google Play Store credit?

KaronaFalseGod

On Android there's an official Google survey app that asks you quick questions about where you've been shopping, and gives you 10-50 cents in Play Store credit each time. I'm sure I'm not the only person here with $20+ in Play Store credit sitting in their account with nothing to spend it on. Occasionally Google will give a large amount of Play Store credit when you buy an official product too (they did for a Nexus 7 tablet if I recall).

If the Warframe Android App could allow for in-app purchases of platinum, I'd happily dump my $20 in Play Store credit into Warframe. I know the Play Store keeps a cut of the proceeds, but I think it's the same cut as Steam, which Warframe already accepts.

Does anyone else think this would be a good use of time to support? The Warframe android app already supports buying of weapon slots with the platinum you already have, so I'd imagine it isn't a huge technical leap to accept in-app purchases.

Just now, KaronaFalseGod said:

On Android there's an official Google survey app that asks you quick questions about where you've been shopping, and gives you 10-50 cents in Play Store credit each time. I'm sure I'm not the only person here with $20+ in Play Store credit sitting in their account with nothing to spend it on. Occasionally Google will give a large amount of Play Store credit when you buy an official product too (they did for a Nexus 7 tablet if I recall).

If the Warframe Android App could allow for in-app purchases of platinum, I'd happily dump my $20 in Play Store credit into Warframe. I know the Play Store keeps a cut of the proceeds, but I think it's the same cut as Steam, which Warframe already accepts.

Does anyone else think this would be a good use of time to support? The Warframe android app already supports buying of weapon slots with the platinum you already have, so I'd imagine it isn't a huge technical leap to accept in-app purchases.

+1 for this.

17 minutes ago, Zavenosk said:

Perhaps TennoGen could be bought in this way as well?  I prefer not to use Steam, but wouldn't mind using a mobile app store to pay.

Honestly, if it was that way, then warframe would have to build a tenno gen shop inside their website or something like that, and have payout methods. I hope they would do that, but then again, steam has been around for ages and trusted by over 2 million gamers worldwide.

1 minute ago, [DE]Drew said:

This isn't something we're currently planning (interesting idea though). 

not really, IMO, how many users across the platforms actually use the phone app to justify the change, and pulling purchases already linked and contracted out to tennogen artists, to potentially introduce another pathway for purchase, creates a vulnerability, legal and technical.

4 minutes ago, Darkvramp said:

not really, IMO, how many users across the platforms actually use the phone app to justify the change, and pulling purchases already linked and contracted out to tennogen artists, to potentially introduce another pathway for purchase, creates a vulnerability, legal and technical. 

To be clear, I never bought up Tennogen in the first place; that seems to be confusing the issue. There are already storefronts that exist which allow for purchase of platinum, but not Tennogen. I don't see how Tennogen artists are affected by making the purchase of platinum available using a currency (Play Store credit) which was not available to be used before.

The other thing is, perhaps not many people use the app, but I'll bet some people with excess Play Store credit might install the app if it gives them a new way to get more platinum. This gets DE both more money, and a bigger install base for the companion app.

15 minutes ago, [DE]Drew said:

This isn't something we're currently planning (interesting idea though). 

Thank you for responding anyway! I make about $50/year on these surveys and used to funnel it into Clash Royale, but I don't play that anymore. Your folks should definitely take a look when they can, because it could be a lot of money on the table for DE.

1 minute ago, DrivaMain said:

This could be very helpful for people who wants to spent money but don’t have credit cards like me (because I am a currently a student)

So you know, you can buy Steam cards from local stores like Target or 7/11 with cash if you don't have a credit card. You can also use gift cards to random department stores at the warframe.com checkout, just select "Gift Card" at checkout. DE's payment processing partner "XSolla" seems to take about 20-25% of the gift card's value for themselves (they need to resell it at a discount, and make some margin for themselves, so don't expect the full value). I used a $13 Bed Bath and Beyond gift card and it got me $10 to spend, and stacked with a 50% off Plat login reward I had. That transaction went smooth and I was happy with that, they even let you use any leftover balance from the gift card on your next purchase (they tie it to your account).

The one thing I would improve with that system, is that XSolla won't let you stack multiple gift cards together to make a single larger platinum purchase. I would have bought platinum across multiple orders, but the 50% off Plat coupon that DE gives is only good for a single purchase. DE should consider making the plat discount coupon valid for all plat purchases in the timeframe you have to use it, I would have bought a lot more if that were the case.

I have a self-imposed "never spend real money on F2P games" rule for myself, but things like random department store credit or Google Play balance I'll always be happy to send DE's way... I just wish it were easier 🙂

39 minutes ago, KaronaFalseGod said:

So you know, you can buy Steam cards from local stores like Target or 7/11 with cash if you don't have a credit card. You can also use gift cards to random department stores at the warframe.com checkout, just select "Gift Card" at checkout. DE's payment processing partner "XSolla" seems to take about 20-25% of the gift card's value for themselves (they need to resell it at a discount, and make some margin for themselves, so don't expect the full value). I used a $13 Bed Bath and Beyond gift card and it got me $10 to spend, and stacked with a 50% off Plat login reward I had. That transaction went smooth and I was happy with that, they even let you use any leftover balance from the gift card on your next purchase (they tie it to your account).

The one thing I would improve with that system, is that XSolla won't let you stack multiple gift cards together to make a single larger platinum purchase. I would have bought platinum across multiple orders, but the 50% off Plat coupon that DE gives is only good for a single purchase. DE should consider making the plat discount coupon valid for all plat purchases in the timeframe you have to use it, I would have bought a lot more if that were the case.

I have a self-imposed "never spend real money on F2P games" rule for myself, but things like random department store credit or Google Play balance I'll always be happy to send DE's way... I just wish it were easier 🙂

Physical steam cards is not available on my area  (yet), so that is why I am supporting this 

Edited by DrivaMain
  • Like 1