Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur Umbra passive detrimental at high level!

Aikii

I really like the idea of Excalibur Umbra pretty much being a specter that you can deploy at any time by going into operator mode, as there are certain weapons that the AI can handle pretty well and fire at high speeds, on top of having infinite ammo and energy(?)

However, one thing i do NOT like about Excalibur Umbra, is that despite never being stated in the ability text, is that he takes FULL damage from all sources and definitely has a worse sense of self-preservation than you, in addition to possibly not using self healing methods you have. (like Life Strike) In addition, due to Excalibur Umbra actually being a combatant, he will also draw aggro and thus take even more damage from enemies, other than just being caught in AoE attacks.

This pretty much means that at high levels, (most noticeably in Kuva Flood) and against Eidolons, his passive is actually very detrimental, while it only grants a minor actual use. While the actual use of operators in most missions is highly questionable, it should at least not come with destroying your actual Warframe. 

It is unfair to have such a major, unavoidable danger be directly caused by a warframe's passive ability and thus discourage use of it, so i think that the Excalibur Umbra "specter" should be invulnerable, or take only 10% incoming damage in line with channeled abilities, or have a maximum damage cap that he can take.

Either of these so that you don't suddenly find yourself in a Warframe with 2 health. 

35 minutes ago, Aikii said:

It is unfair to have such a major, unavoidable danger be directly caused by a warframe's passive ability and thus discourage use of it, so i think that the Excalibur Umbra "specter" should be invulnerable, or take only 10% incoming damage in line with channeled abilities, or have a maximum damage cap that he can take.

As long as you can hide in Voidmode for hours, that would be some kind of cheatcode to make Umbra invulnerable though.

Run Vazarin or Unairu if you want to effectively protect him against threats when in Operator Mode. But most importantly, please don't bring him to Eidolons fights.

To the funny snarky replies in this thread; you do not need a specialized warframe build if you are new and fighting teralyst. Of course i do not do that, there are people who do, but against tridolon they quickly learn to do better. They do this because the game never makes it clear that Umbra takes damage, and because they don't know what the fight is about.

And i think the supposed benefit of staying in operator mode forever just to get an invulnerable specter is...... limited to say the least.

Edited by Aikii

Then you should be using your Operator to assist him if you are actually planning on Umbra to be an active combatant rather than expecting him to do all the work. An operator with a max gilded amp, and decently leveled focus nodes (waybounds are useful if you're doing high level content) can make a big difference in a fight. I use my operator in Elite Onslaught and Arbitrations to deal with Nullifiers and other enemies when my frame might be injured or not equipped to handle a specific situation as well.

9 hours ago, Aikii said:

It would be unfair to make him basically unkillable along with having the ability to do all of your work for you. Making him invulnerable would just encourage you to afk. That's a hard no.

9 hours ago, Aikii said:

Either of these so that you don't suddenly find yourself in a Warframe with 2 health. 

Haven't tested it with Umbra, but Magus Nourish (as well as Magus Replenish) greatly encourages swapping between your Warframe and Operator in combat since you can easily keep both sustained for regular use. You shouldn't be just staying in your operator full time either way.

Edited by (PS4)Riko_113

I mostly find the Specter mode of Excal Umbra to be a gimick but one thing that irks me is when you go Operator it drops Exalted Blade.

It will drop Exalted blade even if you pop in an out for a quick Heal with Magus Elevate.

If it wasn't for his ability to use all 3 Umbra mods I'd use normal Excal right now since dropping Exalted blade is dropping 60% mitigation which can be a death sentence. If he's in Exalted blade when you go Operator he should stay in it until he's out of Energy. Not like he's gunna beat EB with normal weapons anyways.

12 hours ago, Aikii said:

so i think that the Excalibur Umbra "specter" should be invulnerable

As far as I know, he was for about a week. They stopped it when they found people using him to AFK farm things like the Index and Rathuum for Credits and Endo.

In fact a lot of the problems with Umbra seem to come from stopping that kind of behaviour.

22 hours ago, Thaylien said:

As far as I know, he was for about a week. They stopped it when they found people using him to AFK farm things like the Index and Rathuum for Credits and Endo.

In fact a lot of the problems with Umbra seem to come from stopping that kind of behaviour.

Majority of the problems with warframe come from stopping that kind of behavior. It was those players that ruined stuff for everyone else by abusing things.

2 hours ago, Dabnician said:

Majority of the problems with warframe come from stopping that kind of behavior. It was those players that ruined stuff for everyone else by abusing things.

'those players' is a fun way to put it ^^ It encompasses around an estimated 80% of the player base. Once we reach a certain point we're almost all guilty of using one method or other of farming in the fastest method possible.

Even if that's just heading to the 10-wave defense and only contributing juuuust enough to not get the AFK penalty, we've done something like it.

If there is a way to grind things faster, players will use it. It's not even a matter of 'if', it's a 'when'.