Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What about a lance as a new melee weapon?

Heidelgard

I was thinking that as a new melee weapon type, we could have something like lance + shield.

So you are able to block attacks with your shield like we do with Silva & Aegis, use thrust attacks to pierce enemies in front of you and as a signature move of this weapon, you can hold the melee attack button to prepare a heavy attack, so when you release it, the character will charge forward with the lance, dealing high damage and knocking down enemies in the way.

It could fit well on a tanky frames, also it's an additional melee fighting style.

Here is a picture as reference:

rti4it.jpg

14 hours ago, Heidelgard said:

Maybe there could also be a 2 handed version without the shield, slower but with higher base damage and reach!

I’d like this or the lance and shield concept. Let’s tread carefully and not give peeps the idea that lance players should use Twirling Spire on polearms to get our poking-stick feels when melee-ing.

Imho, if we could get a similar concept of how the Knight’s melee works in SkyForge, where the basic combos are lunges, thrusts, and hopping overhead thrusts with a mix of shield-bashing it can work in Warframe.

Edited by (PS4)Lei-Lei_23

7 hours ago, Mifune013 said:

The problem with lances being a new weapon is that lances are basically one use spears. You charge into the enemies, impale someone, than run back and grab a new lance.

That happens if we are using the classic wooden lances that can easily break upon impact, that's why lancers were also carrying a secondary melee weapon.

But if we are using a lance made with advanced metals, I don't see the reason to abandon it after a kill.

And to avoid confusion, lances are different from spears, they are bulkier, unsuited for throwing and they always come with a circular protection on the upper part of the handle, to prevent your hand from sliding up upon an impact.

I think DE should go make some more of the weapon types we already have that are being neglected before trying to make another entire set. We have only 2 different types of non-warframe dependant claws, venka and ripkas, and new regular swords haven't come out since the PoE release. Gunblades haven't seen any growth since endo became a thing.  Meanwhile, there are dozens of types of dual swords and many polearm/staff like weapons.

It wouldn't be the best idea to make a brand new weapon type if it's just going to be (basically) abandoned eventually. Maybe this should wait until after melee 3.0 comes out so that it can be balanced correctly around the new mechanics to make sure that lance weapons stay in good demand after they are (possibly) created.

1 hour ago, Sylphaeri said:

I think DE should go make some more of the weapon types we already have that are being neglected before trying to make another entire set.

Daggers, dual daggers, a Tenno whip (how do we still have no Tenno whip?)... Oh, and we still haven't received the nodachi (though I can understand them wanting to wait till Melee 3.0 before releasing).

Jousting style lances weren't of much use outside a jousting ring, and cavalry lances' only merits came from the added momentum and reach being mounted gave. On foot, long hafted weapons were effective if used in a formation, but on your own, however, a pike-length weapon is more of a hindrance than anything, as the weapon is easily controlled by your opponent. You can argue, that arch-wing employed lances could be a thing, though. "shrug"

A proper wuxia spear stance/style on the other hand... 

Edited by Yrkul
Typo

On 2018-12-10 at 9:31 AM, Yrkul said:

Jousting style lances weren't of much use outside a jousting ring, and cavalry lances' only merits came from the added momentum and reach being mounted gave. On foot, long hafted weapons were effective if used in a formation, but on your own, however, a pike-length weapon is more of a hindrance than anything, as the weapon is easily controlled by your opponent. You can argue, that arch-wing employed lances could be a thing, though. "shrug"

A proper wuxia spear stance/style on the other hand... 

Everything you said is true, but we already have in game weapons that were not commonly used in warfare, such like whips (the Urumi may be an exception) or heavy two handed hammers like Fragor.

We have them cuz we are above the rules of ordinary men warfare, so about lances, we can actually deliver such powerful thrusts that being mounted is no longer needed.

And in the end, for me the the concept of this weapon is purely a matter of style, so despite having a limited use in real warfare, I love to see it in action in fantasy and games, for example Dark Souls or Monster Hunter, and that's why I would love to have it here as well.

Just another possible weapon that you can choose to have.