Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion For Alt Fire

Satinpuppies

I largely play Warframe on controller because i feel it's a lot more relaxing.
However with my setup i currently have issues with using alt fire on weapons.

Using Alt-fire can be a bit of a pain. because i can't map it to a button that would feel right pressing repeatedly and i wish to solve this issue with a toggle-able option or something in nature in the controls menu
allowing the "alt fire button to a "toggle alt fire" so that you can press the alt fire button to toggle between alt fire and normal firing modes.

That is all.

I know how you feel.

PS4 user, so Controller all the time.

Its super awkward to have my normal fire on a trigger (index finger), but alt-fire on a face button (thumb).

For a while I even experimented with trading melee with alt-fire as a trigger button.

But that makes little sense considering how few weapons use alt-fire vs how often I'd want to melee.

Part of the issue is Warframe is designed for a PC game mindset; devs can cram in as many features as they want and just keep assigning new keys.

While a Console game mindset would instead be focused on ergonomics and how new features can be worked into the existing control paradigm.

Ultimately the only thing that worked for me is a Mod Controller

with extra triggers on it. - a total of 6 triggers vs the PS4 Dualshock's normal 4 triggers.

lets my Thumbs stay on the sticks, while index and middle fingers do all the Aim, Fire, Melee, Alt-Fire stuff

'Scuff Controller' is the quintessential example of that kind of controller, with the two extra triggers as paddles on the backside.

Might look into it and similar products.

Using a 'TheControllerPeople' mod controller myself.

14 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

I know how you feel.

PS4 user, so Controller all the time.

Its super awkward to have my normal fire on a trigger (index finger), but alt-fire on a face button (thumb).

For a while I even experimented with trading melee with alt-fire as a trigger button.

But that makes little sense considering how few weapons use alt-fire vs how often I'd want to melee.

Part of the issue is Warframe is designed for a PC game mindset; devs can cram in as many features as they want and just keep assigning new keys.

While a Console game mindset would instead be focused on ergonomics and how new features can be worked into the existing control paradigm.

Ultimately the only thing that worked for me is a Mod Controller

with extra triggers on it. - a total of 6 triggers vs the PS4 Dualshock's normal 4 triggers.

lets my Thumbs stay on the sticks, while index and middle fingers do all the Aim, Fire, Melee, Alt-Fire stuff

'Scuff Controller' is the quintessential example of that kind of controller, with the two extra triggers as paddles on the backside.

Might look into it and similar products.

Using a 'TheControllerPeople' mod controller myself.

Yeah i could see that, but  i don't see why they couldn't just put it in a simple fix like this, and yeah face button firing is super awkward haha.

I'm not even a console player and I think this would be nice as an option. Some mice can have cantankerous middle buttons, so for some, the less that has to be pressed, the better.

And it's just consistent for the weapons that have 3 or more fire modes.

8 hours ago, Satinpuppies said:

Yeah i could see that, but  i don't see why they couldn't just put it in a simple fix like this, and yeah face button firing is super awkward haha.

Well

a Toggle switch to Alt-Fire doesn't necessarily make sense for all the weapons in game.

Sometimes you want firing the opposite mode to be an instant action, and toggling would be a delay.

Take Buzzloc for example, where alt-fire is the target designator for the tracking rounds.

-toggle- -fire designator- -toggle- -fire normally- 

would be cumbersome with all the back and forth buttons vs just a single button to designate a target immediately.

The Penta?

Fires explosive charges, with alt-fire used to detonate them.

considering detonation is a single action after which you'd need for fire normally before repeating it. making a Toggle Switch for this also makes no sense.

-fire grenade- -toggle- -detonate- -toggle- -fire another grenade-

see how awkward a toggle to alt-fire it would be...

The Zarr is a weapon that already Toggles as you describe

switches between grenade launcher vs shotgun modes.

and, Actually I would prefer it be the opposite, instant actions instead of a mode switch.

Because when something rushes me and I don't want to suicide with a grenade at close range; I wish I could just 'panic button' shotgun them; not fumble around with a mode toggle first.

but Where does a Toggle switch make sense?

Stradavar, Argonak, Tiberon Prime, Zenith.

-Weapons with selective fire modes  that switch between semi/automatic fire.

and it just so happens that for those weapons, Toggle already functions as you proposed.

• 2 weeks later...