Very cool! I will love to see this in action! Granted I only understood about half of that, I still can't wait to see the great changes you have for us.

• Like 3

interesting, I haven't really had a problem with that on my end since I don't really see stuttering on frametime, but I'll check it out. thanks!

You are a savant. I have always wondered why my fps was inconsistent with what it should be, and looking at GPU activity graphs just confused me even more with inconsistent data. I'm excited to see how these changes show up now on my pc and laptop, and if they really are hitting max fps. (My PC always showed 138 fps on 144 setting dispute GPU not even close to maxing even when looking at hwmonitor. 😃 Keep up the good work! Go steal candy from Steve, you've earned it!

• Like 1

Sounds good! Was actually very interesting to read through this 🙂 .

Edited by Zyneris
Edited because people are STILL quoting me after I acknowledged the mistake.
  • Like 2

Very thoroughly well done, and a good read as well for those of us who like technical stuff! Super excited to see these optimizations hit PC soon.

Because I use G-Sync I've always opted for the Max Framerate setting with a refresh rate that's slightly higher, like 150-160Hz capped at 144 FPS to hit that sweet zone for G-Sync, but have noticed some abnormalities with it (some of which you addressed in the post).

I'll keep an eye out when this deploys to see if I notice any improvements or otherwise.
Very cool stuff indeed.

Edit:

Already noticing huge stability improvements and a smoother flow of frames to my 160Hz monitor. In the Orbiter and in-mission. Fantastic! I thought my game was smooth before this update but damn, this hotfix has made it even better.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zyneris said:

Also....

Assuming you're actually talking about XP, it retired in 2014. 

That being said, I'm wondering it's just a typo and you meant Win7 which is scheduled for retirement next year.

I think he's talking about DE retiring their support for Windows XP and 32-bit devices, which will be pretty soon.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Zyneris said:

He is talking about warframe support for windows XP, which they still support it. But they are planning on discontinuing it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, CapAllan said:

I think he's talking about DE retiring their support for Windows XP and 32-bit devices, which will be pretty soon.

Yeah I thought about that end too after I posted. Haha, oh well 🙂

1 minute ago, Zyneris said:

Also....

That being said, I'm wondering it's just a typo and you meant Win7 which is scheduled for retirement next year.

They still are phasing out XP support on Warframe. Really this is x32 in general, but XP was mostly x32 and I'd say the majority of x32 players are XP... And yes there are people who use XP still; it was the best OS MS ever made and the last to allow 16bit support dispite even windows 10 being able to run 16bit programs, but blocking it normally.

9 minutes ago, Zyneris said:

Also....

As others have mentioned, Glen is talking about DE's official support for Windows XP in warframe, not Microsoft's support of the operating system.  Windows 7 is "retiring" soon according to Microsoft, but game companies will most likely not stop support for it any time soon given that a  LOT of people are still using it.  Not supporting Windows 7 is basically cutting yourself off from 1/2 to 1/4 of your potential customers (depends on the region and kind of game),  while Windows XP has only a couple of percent of people that are still using it.

While we talking about Dynamic resolution, do you guys thinking about expanding that setting as chance to go above 100% (SuperSampling AA) ??

Ive try Nvidia DSR 4.00x which is equivalent of 4K resolution, but UI is just terrible at that scale even on Custom setting

29 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

I'm super excited to see this change go out today. If you're like me and are using Max Framerate I'd love to hear if you noticed an improvement with this!

Do you mean this is already out or a game hotfix or update is coming later today?

31 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

It turns out that there's a key element of the system's graphics driver that we couldn't seem to depend on: GPU time measurements were often unreliable and inaccurate especially when running Windowed or Borderless fullscreen.

Hi @[DE]Glen ! Thanks for the update. I'm a bit puzzled with regards to this part of your post, which may explain something I reported before. Is the dynamic resolution setting a feature that is exclusive to windowed or borderless? The feature never worked for me when on fullscreen mode. I asked if that was the expected behavior in that thread and sadly I never got a response.

Here's the thread:

I'm on:

W10 Pro x64

Intel Core i7-4790K @4.6 (All cores)

GTX 1070 (Latest drivers as of the time of this post)

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Edited by Jarriaga

Honestly I'm just floored at the fact that you got Warframe running on a Macbook Air.

That said, as an electrical engineer who designs graphics processor cards, this is some very interesting and very cool information about the software/API side of graphics processing and framerates.

• Applause 2

17 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Is the dynamic resolution setting a feature that is exclusive to windowed or borderless? The feature never worked for me when on fullscreen mode. I asked if that was the expected behavior in that thread and sadly I never got a response.

Dynamic Resolution works in all three modes; you can test in fullscreen (like I just did) by setting a user ratio of 50% and you can see everything get just a bit blurry. However, like I said, depending on the drivers and the DWM we may not get accurate GPU timings back so the Auto Dynamic Resolution setting doesn't always work properly and it's beyond our control.

The other reason the auto setting may not appear to work is if you're not actually GPU bound; if you're hitting hitting your sync or your CPU is slower and there's no reason to reduce the resolution you won't notice any difference.

And, like I also said, we'd like to revisit that after we retire support for Windows XP (because there are DWM optimizations we can't make while we continue older operating systems).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

Honestly I'm just floored at the fact that you got Warframe running on a Macbook Air.

59 FPS in Orbiter, too! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, ShinTechG said:

Do you mean this is already out or a game hotfix or update is coming later today?

Next hotfix, soon(tm).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

I have Fortuna running on my 2013 Macbook Pro (13"). I'm surprised everytime it launches the game.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

Dynamic Resolution works in all three modes; you can test in fullscreen (like I just did) by setting a user ratio of 50% and you can see everything get just a bit blurry. However, like I said, depending on the drivers and the DWM we may not get accurate GPU timings back so the Auto Dynamic Resolution setting doesn't always work properly and it's beyond our control.

The other reason the auto setting may not appear to work is if you're not actually GPU bound; if you're hitting hitting your sync or your CPU is slower and there's no reason to reduce the resolution you won't notice any difference.

And, like I also said, we'd like to revisit that after we retire support for Windows XP (because there are DWM optimizations we can't make while we continue older operating systems).

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

59 FPS in Orbiter, too! 

You sir are a wizard. I'm a hardware guy so 99% of what software does (when not interfacing with hardware control registers) is just all black magic and sorcery to me.

7 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

You sir are a wizard. 

I put on my robe and wizard's hat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Satisfied 1
  • Woah 1

Im running a Asus G74sx with a 3gb gtx 560m.... Im running everything on minimum and struggle to keep 30fps (I now have it limited to 30fps so as to not overwork this laptop, also have it on a cooling pad. Heat not an issue really)

What in the world am i doing wrong?

Oh hey, I can set 100hz frame cap now instead of forcing in Riva Turner.  Would still be better as a slider but least it supports more common settings.

Not like running borderless windowed and letting desktop manager force V-Sync was critical input delay but always nice when options get fleshed out.

What's the deal with 72hz anyways? That's such a weird number.

My Predator x34 thanks you. 21:9  4Life.

EDIT:  Oh, I made a disgruntle post a while back about not saturating any of my CPU cores or using full GPU when other players are around and sitting at 85 FPS for no reason but holding 100 FPS firm on a 2070 when Solo in Fortuna. The last patch or two seems to have fixed that. I'm 100 FPS all day now. So thanks also to whoever fixed that.

Edited by Xzorn