Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Max Framerate

[DE]Glen

Prior to this update, Nvidia overlay was bouncing between 112-118 FPS when I use Max FR of 120 even though the game's FPS counter showed closer to 120fps.  Now Nvidia is flipping between 120 and 121 while the in-game is locked onto 120fps and staying ~8.33ms

This is at 2560x1600 windowed on a 4k display.

So definitely seems like some improvement in accuracy.

@[DE]Glen I'm very appreciative of the max framerate option to reduce system noise, though thankfully I don't need dynamic resolution's downscaling. Glad to see it's getting even better.

This is related but a bit the other direction, is there potentially work towards allowing us to oversample with the dynamic resolution option? I know Steve has worked a lot on TAA, but you can only polish a pixelated you-know-what before it just gets smeared. Previously we could force SSAA in drivers (AMD) but this hasn't worked for a couple years. Games like Destiny 2 and Planetside 2 have a similar option.

2 hours ago, Momaw said:

As others have mentioned, Glen is talking about DE's official support for Windows XP in warframe, not Microsoft's support of the operating system.  Windows 7 is "retiring" soon according to Microsoft, but game companies will most likely not stop support for it any time soon given that a  LOT of people are still using it.  Not supporting Windows 7 is basically cutting yourself off from 1/2 to 1/4 of your potential customers (depends on the region and kind of game),  while Windows XP has only a couple of percent of people that are still using it.

You probably mean "largest block of your potential customers" as win10 has yet to gain more users than windows 7 (they are hoping next month to break even)

You, sir, are my hero, for i find myself in pretty much the same situation; having to switch between two extremes from midweek to weekend, one being 144Hz at max settings and the other barely making 30FPS at minimal settings, with dynamic resolution locked at 50% (on my craptop - thx for that extra vocabulary).

Both seem to be smoother now, thanks to you.

Btw, nice writing skills, i'm studying electronical engineering and found your text to be very interesting!

Nice work! Happy to see the FPS cap now working as intended. On a side note, could you perhaps look into the issue where the mouse sensitivity drastically drops after alt-tabbing? Apparently it seems to only occur when playing in fullscreen mode (I rather not use borderless/windowed as a workaround because of the microstuttering it creates).

7 minutes ago, Max_Paynis_Cupcake said:

Nice work! Happy to see the FPS cap now working as intended. On a side note, could you perhaps look into the issue where the mouse sensitivity drastically drops after alt-tabbing? Apparently it seems to only occur when playing in fullscreen mode (I rather not use borderless/windowed as a workaround because of the microstuttering it creates).

I encounter something similar, maybe the same thing. After alt tabbing when playing on fullscreen the mouse cursor ingame seems to be snapping to pixels, it has some strange jumps.

@[DE]Glen

This has to be the most accurate fps limiter I have seen in any game so far, really great job. I am running PG279Q monitor at 165Hz with gsync enabled and vsync disabled and I was having issues with gsync getting disabled randomly in missions for few seconds + stuttering and tearing, which means that the fps must have exceeded 165fps even if I had 144fps limit in the game settings.

The new fps limiter (still running that 144fps at 165Hz) feels very, very, very solid. 60fps is not really playable for me, 72fps is getting there and 120fps is really good. While I would not use 60fps or 72fps in game, they are definitely better. I always liked high fps and high refreshrates, even in the 90s when CRTs were still the thing 😂

One thing I noticed is that when I end up in the login screen after starting the game (where you input your password etc) the fps limiter here is disabled and I see fps exceeding 450fps or whatever. Seems like a bug to me, so maybe fix this in the future patch?

@[DE]Glen you single-handedly fixed a microstuttering problem I had with Warframe from basically always.
I wish I could give you a rise.
Please, keep gutting the old code and please find more of this stuff.
I can't even fathom how much bad or not optimized code can be inside a 15 years old engine.
No wait, I can, Windows exists.
Please keep doing that. Warframe needs this more than new content atm.
Clearly it's hard and time consuming but it's worth it.

Take this for example: low resolutions when zooming in. Why is this still there after all this time? Please keep looking for hidden stuff, the whole game will get MUCH better without all that clutter.

Again, thank you.

EDIT: i7-6700k, Palit 1070, 960 Pro M.2, W10 1709, from Steam and not.
Might be useful to know this. Or not. Thanks Glen.

2 hours ago, Faulcun said:

Im running a Asus G74sx with a 3gb gtx 560m.... struggle to keep 30fps

What in the world am i doing wrong?

you're probably not doing anything wrong. both the iGPU and dedicated GPU in your Notebook are doing the best they can. thankfully your dedicated GPU has enough Memory to not encounter extra slow downs.
you could always check the Nvidia Control Panel and make sure that all games are always forcing the Dedicated GPU, but if it already is, then that's what you've got. you could try using Dynamic Resolution if you are not already, but that would be about the end of your options.

2 hours ago, Xzorn said:

What's the deal with 72hz anyways? That's such a weird number.

this may or may not be the reason but 72 is a common number that Overclocked 60Hz Displays end up capping out at before they start creating Artifacts.

1 hour ago, Snakehound762 said:

You probably mean "largest block of your potential customers" as win10 has yet to gain more users than windows 7 (they are hoping next month to break even)

for overall usage, sure. however, for Video Games, the vast majority are using w10. w7 still has significant market share though, so while some games will not bother to support it, others will. big money 'blockbuster' titles will the ones that drop support for it first, with them tending to be the titles that want to be able to advertise that they have the newest thing (that often doesn't even benefit the end user for the first 3-5 years).

6 minutes ago, runx0 said:

One thing I noticed is that when I end up in the login screen after starting the game (where you input your password etc) the fps limiter here is disabled and I see fps exceeding 450fps or whatever. Seems like a bug to me, so maybe fix this in the future patch?

that's strange. the Limiter has always worked for me on Login, whether Exclusive Fullscreen or not. i don't know what to tell you.

10 minutes ago, taiiat said:

that's strange. the Limiter has always worked for me on Login, whether Exclusive Fullscreen or not. i don't know what to tell you.

It worked for me before this patch and I was not asking for help, I was reporting a bug.

Login screen:

RYwPzcJ.jpg

After logging in:

gRIeZrX.jpg

You are a magician. The game is running better than ever. I'm getting a solid 75 fps matching my monitor's refresh rate with framerate cap enabled (no vsync) pretty much everywhere on my 6 year old potato. I had tried downsampling before but was never happy with it precisely because of the blurring even though the gameplay was smoother . The blur certainly seems to be mostly gone (depending on how much you downsample of course) at around 95% which is the sweet spot for me.

All the cookies to you!

2 hours ago, Snakehound762 said:

Win 10 adoption is higher among gamers than among the general public since you must have Win 10 to support DX12 or most newer CPUs.

Hello, @[DE]Glen, thank you for fixing this issue, I was expected there some caveat in the code, but anyway I have another little request:

Due to my current play state I frequently just run a game and minimize it and do other stuff, checking the game time to time. What is problem: in borderless mode and in current state it utilize much CPU/GPU, so my suggestion is simply: when game are not in focus or minimized it will restrict itself in framerate and so on.
There are plenty games what have similar fnctionality, take a look on
Black Desert Online FPS limit:
lgzjn4.png

Star Conflict FPS limit:
screenshot-161231-195601.jpg.d0229826dac

And something similar in some other popular games. Warframe need this too! I will say thanks in advance.

Archived