Archwings, Railjack and Progression

Aldain

Good afternoon all, I have started this thread as I have recently picked Warframe back up thanks to the switch version dropping, and upon my return as I haven't been around for about 2 years I found many new things that drew me back into the world.

Enough with the pleasantries though let's get down to brass tacks with the point of this topic, Archwings are currently underdeveloped and suffering from many issues as you may have no doubt seen complaints of on these forums. This wouldn't be quite as big of an issue if it weren't for the fact that recently a new set of content you all may know as Railjack was announced which makes use of the currently underused and by many disliked Archwings for several reasons.

I created this topic to outline what I found from another topic in the general discussion forum and possible changes fixes and ways to better develop an underappreciated aspect of a wonderful game.

First off let us review the basics of the Archwing, a mobile weapons platform used for space and underwater travel which equips unique weapons in order to appropriately fight in said environments. There are 4 major issues that I find with the Archwings that can be understood as problematic.

1. Archwings control like buttered feet on a waxed floor, or to drop the analogy, they are too floaty and imprecise for most of the mission and map types that utilize them, even in planetary gravity like in PoE. Momentum is conserved even moving at slower paces which makes it feel more like you are piloting a rocket or a large spacecraft than a...jetpack thing. The underwater segments also cause issues as they have the opposite problem where it feels like you're trying to fly through jelly rather than water.
  2. Archwings and their weapons are intense time-sinks to develop, manufacture and acquire, between the actual Archwings being locked behind clan research (not entirely the worst issue) and weapons being tied to syndicates (BIG issue) it has large hurdles and requirements to get even one new weapon or Archwing frame, especially for newer players since you not only need to be rank 2-3 to get weapon parts in syndicates, but it also costs 20k standing for a single part (The dual decurion costs 80k since it needs 4 parts). 
  3. The mission sets are limited and the maps are either free space or cramped beyond all reason (which compounds the control issues even more and makes rush missions an absolute PAIN) and this limited mission set also leads to the issue. Most of they mission types are fairly boring or painful to deal with (coughRUSHcough) and are so limited that there doesn't feel like there is any progression
  4. Rewards are minimal and limited, a small number overall of Archwing mods and Tellurium (which is needed mostly for Archwings anyway and can be acquired on Uranus) makes it feel like there's no reason to bother with the missions unless absolutely needed or the rare circumstance of an alert.

With these four problems in mind, it can be safe to say why the player base is reluctant to adopt further Archwing integration to the point where some don't bother getting the ability to use them on PoE or Fortuna. Taking this into account we come to the major point of this thread:

We need an Archwing 2.0 overhaul to make these systems feel more satisfying and better integrated into present and future content.

Now I understand that many may just say "Forget Archwings Fix (XYZ) first or such things, but because of the possible value of Archwings and the lack of content for them it can be safely assumed that this is one of several things in dire need of a rework. How would they go about this you ask? Well I am no expert, honestly I'm just a lone player who sees room for improvement and hopes that there will be, but I have several suggestions nonetheless and would be open to further (actual) discussion on how to improve this system. The following are my suggestions to fix the 4 issues above.

1. Total control overhaul, tighten all the controls and reduce momentum retention as well as speed up ascent and descent controls to make navigation of smaller quarters better. Also speed up the underwater version by a small margin to make it feel less like trying to swim in wet cement.
  2. Reduce the overall time-sink and acquisition methods for Archwings and their weapons and untie them from syndicates to promote more variety rather than everyone just going "Odonata is enough and the weapons are a waste of time" Also rework the Archwing abilities to better fit the next suggestion.
  3. Rework and Introduce new Archwing mission types and maps to make use of the new variety promoted by number two, Railjack will help with this as well depending on how well implemented Archwings are and if any new weapons are added in the interim as well. Endless missions for Archwing experience grinding would also be a boon since currently they level up painfully slow. Also make Void Rifts compatible with Archwing missions to allow for cross progression between on-foot and in space content.
  4. Rework rewards to include similar benefits to grounded rewards, endless rewards like relics and more different mods for Archwings to better inspire a feeling of progression and growth

I'm completely aware that this is all easier said than done, and would require work that some may feel would be better directed elsewhere. Despite this I still believe that if DE can overhaul the Archwing system it will benefit not only the enjoyment of the player base, but their reputation growth and profit (groffit?). So please, let's discuss how to better this system and respectfully give feedback to DE for what we want and how it may be accomplished.

TL;DR, See bold text above.

1- I'm up for that, but personally the current ones are doing it for me. At first they weren't but after some time getting used to them they're pretty good. I think the main issue here is that players aren't willing to learn how to fly, and there really isn't a good tutorial or practice mission for them to do so, of course that ties in to how minimal AW content is, so there's no need to learn, but that's about to change 

2- I actually disagree. I think this is probably the best place to put AW stuff in. what I'd suggest to improve is to move some of the AW weapons into the market section and make them be built without any parts need, just resource. Before this change AW parts were RNG based and it was hell to farm them all, now they encourage clan growth and player trading, especially the latter since you need a starting point to get to know how the market works 

3- AW abilities do need a touch up, especially Odonata and Elytron, the rest are pretty good as is. For missions, I've been suggesting a dedicated zone for AW missions since forever, something like the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, or a Grineer fleet, or the outside of an Orokin Derelict ship. I doubt they'll do more missions per planet since they don't wanna overload it, so a dedicated zone/planet is the best option here I think 

4- The rewards do feel outdated and need spicing up 

Just to note, Steve did said in a desvtream a few weeks ago that they're working on AW stuff before Railjack, like more weapons/items and new controls

3 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

1- I'm up for that, but personally the current ones are doing it for me. At first they weren't but after some time getting used to them they're pretty good. I think the main issue here is that players aren't willing to learn how to fly, and there really isn't a good tutorial or practice mission for them to do so, of course that ties in to how minimal AW content is, so there's no need to learn, but that's about to change 

2- I actually disagree. I think this is probably the best place to put AW stuff in. what I'd suggest to improve is to move some of the AW weapons into the market section and make them be built without any parts need, just resource. Before this change AW parts were RNG based and it was hell to farm them all, now they encourage clan growth and player trading, especially the latter since you need a starting point to get to know how the market works 

3- AW abilities do need a touch up, especially Odonata and Elytron, the rest are pretty good as is. For missions, I've been suggesting a dedicated zone for AW missions since forever, something like the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, or a Grineer fleet, or the outside of an Orokin Derelict ship. I doubt they'll do more missions per planet since they don't wanna overload it, so a dedicated zone/planet is the best option here I think 

4- The rewards do feel outdated and need spicing up 

Just to note, Steve did said in a desvtream a few weeks ago that they're working on AW stuff before Railjack, like more weapons/items and new controls

Ah good to know about the devstream there, I don't often get to catch those sadly so I may be a bit out of the loop in regards to that.