Limbo needs a new 3rd ability... Hear me out.

TheFunkCommander

Disclaimer, I know this won't change anything and I don't expect it to. I just had an idea and thought I'd bring it here.

I know the title is a bold statement to some... But I believe that limbo's 3rd ability is okay... But, it doesn't do much quick enough and can be tedious which doesn't match the current standards of frames coming out now a'days. This game is fast. I know limbo can stop time but that doesn't mean he's fast. He's just faster than the enemies he's stopped, if you feel me.

He has the power we all drempt of having when we were little... He is in fact our time wizard and what goes hand in hand with time? Space. Without space, time wouldn't exist and vice verse. So I suggest something a bit edgey but super cool. Just like limbo.;)

What if limbo's third tore a hole in space/time or, "the void"(PAUSE: I know, I know. It's extreme but, hang in there. I promise it's cool and works. Continue:...)and created a black hole to pull enemies into melee range or if channeled long enough outright crushed them? It could work like this.

Limbo would hold out his left hand and form a smallish black hole from his palm. The longer he channels it, the more the damage multiplys(along with the engery cost) all while the hole grows larger and the enemies stretch towards him. When the enemies die they get sucked in and grant energy to limbo.(He would need the energy for the outragous energy cost the ability would consume) and if limbo runs out of energy or cancels the ability all eneimies caught in a cone in front of him(the range dempending on how long the ability was channeled and range mods) get pulled into melee range.

This could synergize with his 1, 2, and 4 by changing into a quasar or white hole while you're in limbo land(or whatever his alternative plane is called) and doing the exact opposite of the black hole by violently pushing everything away from him dealing temendous damage to those trapped in the beam. You might say "well wouldn't that just push the enimies out of the Limbo dome(his 4) before it killed them?" Well dumbie freeze time and blast them till they melt! The white hole would also drain health rather than energy but kill a target quicker than the black hole as well. That being said quick thinking would still be a must on him. If the quasar beam doesn't kill then, any enemy touched by it would get a debuff of limbo's original 3rd ability(or something else, the possibilities are endless). When the debuff wears off it would take the enemies out of limbo land... I say this cause you wouldn't want an enemy you blasted half way across the map to be stuck in limbo land... That would get annoying.

Some may say "wow that sounds really over powered." and to them I say Mesa. This is still more technical than what she does and to balance the black hole, limbo's movment would be slowed to a walking speed and wouldn't be able to turn much so enemies could still get him from behind...

This would also give limbo players another ability to use while playing with a team of randoms. That way they don't get pee-peed off cause, (baby voice-->) limbo keeps stopping time. (They'd still complain though... cept' it would be over how much cooler limbo is than them.😎)

Just stop and imagine how awesome and powerful the effects would looks as the black hole grew in size and power while the enemies helpessly stretched towards you... Or, the earth shakeing crack that unleashing a handheld quasar would sound like as it literally ripped enemies apart... It brings a tear to my eye. Power fantasy doesn't get much bigger than controlling a black hole folks! Just saying...

I'm open to any replacement 3 for Limbo. In three and a half years of using him fairly regularly, most of my uses of rift surge have been a mistype. It has its uses, but since Rolling Guard its lost what utility it had, plus its fiddly, lacks precision control and mainly there for rift torrent (which i don't use).

Edited by Zavenosk

Limbo doesn't deal with the Void. He deals with the Rift, a demi-plane somewhere between here and there. This is entirely out of theme for Limbo.

1 hour ago, TheFunkCommander said:

limbo keeps stopping time

They've already gotten rid of projectile stopping.

Banish does damage. Cataclysm does damage. Limbo doesn't need a 3rd ability to directly deal damage. I doubt anything but a buff or utility-type ability would replace Rift Surge.

I'm just stating a cool thought. With that being said, he's an amazing frame. Yes, stopping time is as op a power can get but, literally all 4 of his powers dance around that one idea. You 2 then 1 for controlled time stoppage or 2 then four for area time stoppage(and pissing peeps off if it's not the right mission). Thats all you need from him. His 3 is just a more silly and convoluted 1. Plus, You should already have killed everyone by the time you've decided to use your 3... that or just step out of the rift real quick, banish the other peeps you didn't catch on your initial banish cone an be happy you didn't accidentally click your 3. If I were a limbo main, my 3 button would be dusty.

I'm just throwing around a cool idea for a new 3. Once again I know it won't happen. It would just be cool to see it. Plus, a lot of peeps probably like his 3 which is fine. This is just my opinion.:o

The augment for Rift Surge is amazing, but it shouldn't be needed to make an ability worth a 3rd ability slot. I agree that Rift Surge should be reworked, but not into a black hole damage ability.

Also, thematically, I don't believe he actually manipulates time and his ability doesn't say he does. He does manipulate space specifically within the Rift, controlling everything in the Rift Plane. Stasis suggests he is stopping them, but that could be that he is halting movement in the Rift Plane (while leaving the enemies entirely conscious-which would also explain why they don't miss a beat when Stasis wears off and we're all in different locations. Lol).

Too similar to vortex.  unneeded change because limbo doesn't stop his or his allies projectiles anymore and the enemies die instantly.  So his trolling potential is basically gone outside of banish itself.  rift surge's augment lets limbo destroy in end game despite not being a slaying frame.  And rift surge itself is very useful at keeping a specific area under constant lock down by making enemies repeatedly switch back and forth between rift and normal plane should you build for the right duration and range.  It's fine as is and doesn't need changing.

So this first thing is... a nitpick. Limbo isn't a time god. (I get so unnecessarily annoyed with people when they say he stops time in Stasis). He controls SPACE. Stasis forces enemies in his realm to bend to his rules, they aren't frozen in time, he freezes them in space. Time is still moving, this is why enemies still make noises when they die and are 'alert'. They're aware of what's happening they just can't do anything about it. There's other stuff to support this, like how time outside his rift is still moving linerally, and the fact that stasis is bound by the rules of time etc etc. ANYWAY. Just. Wanted to say, all of his kit is about controlling his SPATIAL realm and making all the rules there in. 

As for the ability itself. I agree with what others say. it's pretty much just a vortex, and while his current three is problematic in team based fights, let's be real and say that most parties don't want to play with limbo to start with just for staticlysm. By himself though rift torrent is baller and scales just fine with him and his weapons to shred late game content. And if you're by yourself speed doesn't really matter

10 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Too similar to vortex.  unneeded change because limbo doesn't stop his or his allies projectiles anymore and the enemies die instantly.  So his trolling potential is basically gone outside of banish itself.  rift surge's augment lets limbo destroy in end game despite not being a slaying frame.  And rift surge itself is very useful at keeping a specific area under constant lock down by making enemies repeatedly switch back and forth between rift and normal plane should you build for the right duration and range.  It's fine as is and doesn't need changing.

agreed

On 2018-12-06 at 4:02 AM, TheFunkCommander said:

Some may say "wow that sounds really over powered." and to them I say Mesa. This is still more technical than what she does and to balance the black hole, limbo's movment would be slowed to a walking speed and wouldn't be able to turn much so enemies could still get him from behind...

Mesa is one of those frames I hate the most, becuase of her braindead gameplay, no need for another such ability. Though your Idea got me thinking, instead of rift surge why not create two portals that work like in the game "Portals", it will synergize well with his 4, while keeping in check with his theme of time and space master.

Edited by BlachWolf

2 hours ago, (PS4)ZERO_ghost90 said:

I feel like limbo is one of those frames that needs more than 4 abilities, just stopping time and pushing enemies around is way too vague for a space bender frame, just my opinion tho

I personally want their to be a secondary component to first ability something that acts more damage oriented and plays into that space mage thing. Freezing space is cool but I keep wanting like a beam or something of rift energy

hace 11 minutos, LAD.Y dijo:

I personally want their to be a secondary component to first ability something that acts more damage oriented and plays into that space mage thing. Freezing space is cool but I keep wanting like a beam or something of rift energy

I like this idea, but maybe to be as a toggle or charged from his 2, i actually want a charge from his 1 to send all enemies out of the rift, while being inside ofc, in case some renegade enemies are left behind making allies unable to damage them

35 minutes ago, (PS4)ZERO_ghost90 said:

I like this idea, but maybe to be as a toggle or charged from his 2, i actually want a charge from his 1 to send all enemies out of the rift, while being inside ofc, in case some renegade enemies are left behind making allies unable to damage them

well banish already does that. If you're in the rift and you use banish on enemies in the rift it'll unbanish them. So that's a bit redundant unless i'm misunderstanding you.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)ZERO_ghost90 said:

I meant charging it to send enemies out of the rift no matter the location

ehhhhh. I still find that a bit redudant. Banish doesn't require LOS, goes through walls and can be cast from across the room while hitting multiple targets. it pretty much already does that. Your version may be a little easier for people to understand, but banish already has this functionality. If I was getting any extra from Banish I wouldn't want it to be something I could do at will to start with. And the only time this is an issue is if you're using rift surge with a party which...shouldn't really be done in the first place.

This brings up more of a problem with rift surge functionality in party setting than how banish interacts with the game. I do have a post on this though. My idea is more or less the 'toggle' buff to banish would just siphon outside 'rift-surge' energy off those targets, effectively doing the same thing, but translating it into something usable as some form of damage, since Limbo's kit lacks any synergy in Assassinations.

Edited by LAD.Y

8 minutes ago, (PS4)ZERO_ghost90 said:

i actually want a charge from his 1 to send all enemies out of the rift, while being inside ofc, in case some renegade enemies are left behind making allies unable to damage them

So much yes. Please. I'd rather his first be a targeted AoE instead of cone for better control, and a secondary function to remove all enemies from the Rift.

As far as Rift Surge and space themed replacement, based on the black hole and vortex sort of suggestions, maybe a group Teleport sort of ability on enemies in a radius around him hurling them together violently where you're aiming in one quick burst. It could do additional damage for each enemy affected (so it will still be more cc than anything in lower quantities) and would still work with the augment as is (based on total enemies affected). Teleport a group of enemies into a wall, or into Cataclysm or just grouping together for making it easier to attack.

Here's a poorly made example (sorry, I'm at work).

zNnjgCj.jpg

I agree that limbo's 3 is actually not good but in the sense that what it does is redundant and slow compared to banish and cataclysm, considering the usual stasis-banish-surge or stasis-banish-surge-banish setups. It's a step too extra that could fixed by just letting banish work across different dimensions and changing surge to another buff or debuff or anything else really.

That said, how it works is pretty good and works well with the aug.

50 minutes ago, -Bv-Concarne said:

I agree that limbo's 3 is actually not good but in the sense that what it does is redundant and slow compared to banish and cataclysm, considering the usual stasis-banish-surge or stasis-banish-surge-banish setups. It's a step too extra that could fixed by just letting banish work across different dimensions and changing surge to another buff or debuff or anything else really.

That said, how it works is pretty good and works well with the aug.

i'd agree with this sentiment.

1 hour ago, Azamagon said:

This thread below is the only rework I'd like to see for him, because it keeps him thematic while being WAY more teamfriendly + way easier to understand:

i remember this rework idea. I didn't hate it myself, i just don't want him dumbed down. i am 100% up for ideas that make him more team friendly if just so i can stop having people go 'ugh limbo' if i ever decide to party

Just now, FoxFX said:

I am surprised you remember that thread I did. I wanted to work on others, but some incidents occurred that made me take a long break in the threads. Perhaps I can redo that Limbo thread since it is in the archives now.

2 hours ago, Azamagon said:

This thread below is the only rework I'd like to see for him, because it keeps him thematic while being WAY more teamfriendly + way easier to understand: