Laptops for Warframe

TheBloodbourne

Hello everyone! I’m Kerstin, nice to meetcha. So I’ve been playing Warframe on and off for about 5 years. This is due to the fact that I do not have a solid and consistent platform to use (yet), as when I was younger my parents would snatch the PS4 during school, and I was able to use a Lenovo Yoga for about three years by putting the graphics on 800x600 (Yes t was horrid, but I loved this game to death and didn’t care). However, when Plains Of Eidolon came out, as an experienced PC player I was most disappointed when I experienced the worst performance drop in my life upon entering. Since then, I haven’t been able to play at all much save for holidays. It’s my freshman year in college, I’m home for Christmas, and I’ve got a $1000-$1100 budget to buy something that I can use for programming, gaming, art, and schoolwork. Help me out you guys!! I miss my Tenno Community! PS4’s community just doesn’t feel the same!

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Gaming-GeForce-VX5-591G-75RM/dp/B01N12YZ7B/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1544124673&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=acer+aspire+v+nitro

Fits your budget. If you shop around a little more you can probably find one with a 1060, but a 1050ti is good enough. You'll want to upgrade the hard drive space eventually probably cause 256gb is pretty small. If it's like mine, it should have two bays for drives so one will be empty for you to easily slot a second hdd or ssd in there.

I wish it had 32gb ram. But 16 is enough.

I have the same laptop, but with a 1060 and it runs all games at very nice framerates. 60+, and most games in the 90-100 fps range. A 1050 ti wont be too far behind. Plus with its dedicated card you can have a monitor on a desk at home and plug that in to use it just like you would a desktop. It's got the power for it.

Edited by Erytroxylin

That's tough. Gaming laptops are generally pricier than desktops but I have used several Asus Gaming laptops in the past and have only had an issue with one where my down arrow key broke off.

ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition 17.3” 120Hz 3ms Gaming Laptop, 8th-Gen Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (up to 3.9GHz), GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 16GB DDR4, 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB Hybrid HDD, Windows 10 - GL703GE-ES73 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BP9G913/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lNxcCbNR55W7E

Edited by Chaemyerelis

6 minutes ago, Erytroxylin said:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-Gaming-GeForce-VX5-591G-75RM/dp/B01N12YZ7B/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1544124673&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=acer+aspire+v+nitro

Fits your budget. If you shop around a little more you can probably find one with a 1060, but a 1050ti is good enough. You'll want to upgrade the hard drive space eventually probably. If it's like mine, it should have two bays for drives so one will be empty for you to easily slot a second hdd or ssd in there.

I wish it had 32gb ram. But 16 is enough.

I have the same laptop, but with a 1060 and it runs all games at very nice framerates. 60+, and most games in the 90-100 fps range. A 1050 ti wont be too far behind. Plus with its dedicated card you can have a monitor on a desk at home and plug that in to use it just like you would a desktop. It's got the power for it.

Is it easy enough to set up on my own? I don’t do much with hardware tbh, but if I can figure my way around it like I did with code in the beginning then why not right? Saves me $$$

4 minutes ago, Chaemyerelis said:

That's tough. Gaming laptops are generally pricier than desktops but I have used several Asus Gaming laptops in the past and have only had an issue with one where my down arrow key broke off.

ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition 17.3” 120Hz 3ms Gaming Laptop, 8th-Gen Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (up to 3.9GHz), GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 16GB DDR4, 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB Hybrid HDD, Windows 10 - GL703GE-ES73 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BP9G913/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lNxcCbNR55W7E

Funny you suggested Asus, this is actually what I was considering. But for some reason everyone at Best Buy was like ‘you can’t run Warframe or skyrim on that unless you get this $2000 one or a desktop.’ So glad I came here lmao

3 minutes ago, Cicasajt said:

basically anything u buy with 1k$ is good enough. i have a way cheaper one and it runs warframe with bareable setting, except vallis and plains

Good to know!!! I was worried so much about my price range honestly. But I really do want to be able to run plains and fortuna - which I haven’t even attempted the later of yet, or seen videos. I can’t wait to try it spoiler free tbh

Thanks to all of you guys here and after this for responding by the way. I really appreciate it, I’m still learning my way around and such!! Adulting is hard man , especially when it comes to money. But I have wonderful Tenno to help ~!

If you have a Microcenter or comparable computer store near you, consider the HP Omen 15 dc0051nr15.6". Some places have it for around $999.99 which is a pretty decent price for a laptop that will be mostly focused at school-work with gaming on the side. Should include the 1060 6GB mobile Gpu version which has about the same performance as the standard desktop versions while you might be able to get a 1050 TI model for less. Either way, hope it works out, and you find a good solution for your gaming and study needs. If you have questions, most of us would be glad to give suggestions based on our own experience.

5 minutes ago, TheBloodbourne said:

Is it easy enough to set up on my own? I don’t do much with hardware tbh, but if I can figure my way around it like I did with code in the beginning then why not right? Saves me $$$

Yes. It's very easy to access the bays on that laptop. There are probably videos on how to do it on YouTube. If not, and you do go with that, just @me and I'll upload a quick tutorial on YouTube myself.

Others in the thread have also posted up some good options, so you've got plenty of choices.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-laptops/dell-g3-15-gaming/spd/g-series-15-3579-laptop/dncwg3f1426rph

Dell G3 15 with a GTX 1060 and a i7-8750H.

This thing is an absolute beast for the price and its currently only under 1000 bucks.

I'd also recommend you get at least 16 GB of ram, a larger SSD and maybe consider undervolting your CPU.

Specs aside, its one of the thinner gaming laptops I've seen and it looks quite subtle. You really couldn't tell that this thing has a full blown hex-core CPU and a GTX 1060 just by looking at it.

Edited by Tricky5hift

1050Ti can handle Warframe easily. I have MSI laptop with 1050Ti and i7-7700HQ, Warframe always runs at 60 fps with max settings (V-sync is ON, 1920*1080 resolution). By the way, I think I will check out fps with V-sync OFF tonight. Curious about what real fps I'll get.

Though, some other games are not that good with 1050Ti. For example, Destiny 2 is mostly 60 fps, but the "Farm" zone on Earth runs at 30-40 fps.

Edited by Ermiq

I had gotten something similar to this for like $890 on Newegg.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KVCSRN/ref=psdc_13896615011_t4_B076H2J8ZV

Just swap out the GPU for the 1050 w/ 4GB and the SSD to a 256.

10 hours ago, TheBloodbourne said:

Funny you suggested Asus, this is actually what I was considering.

Can recommend Asus..fans so quiet.

Edited by Orblit

3 часа назад, spirit_of_76 сказал:

this is the most important part your OS will use ~4 gigs of ram and my computer suffers from a ram bottle neck.  

I have 16 GB RAM, and OS (Windows 10) takes 1.4-1.6 GB (sometimes 2GB, but never more than that).

Maybe you should delete all the bloatware, disable all unnecessary services, take care of your PC, you know?

1 час назад, TheRealShade сказал:

I'm using a Lenovo Legion Y520 and it can run the game well at max settings even in Vallis ( a few freezes when getting out of the elevator but smooth game after that). It should fit just fine in your price range.

Which Y520 you have actually? There're Y520s with NVidia's GTX1050 and with Radeon's RX560M graphics cards, also they can be equipped with different CPUs (i5-7300HQ or i7-7700HQ).

as long as what ever laptop meats the system requirements you should be fine but laptops have never been the most stable for online games they slightly better than they used to be.  One i used to run is perfect example it could run perfectly fine for hours one day the next could be lucky to go 15-20 min with out a crash then day after that be back to multiple hours fine.  THey just where not really ment or designed for high demand games but more wordprocessing and buisness type tasks on the go.  for best most consistent stability youd be better off with a pc over a laptop for gaming   

9 hours ago, Ermiq said:

1050Ti can handle Warframe easily. I have MSI laptop with 1050Ti and i7-7700HQ, Warframe always runs at 60 fps with max settings (V-sync is ON, 1920*1080 resolution). By the way, I think I will check out fps with V-sync OFF tonight. Curious about what real fps I'll get.

Though, some other games are not that good with 1050Ti. For example, Destiny 2 is mostly 60 fps, but the "Farm" zone on Earth runs at 30-40 fps.

I bought something very similar to this last year. Found it on sale for just under $700. It runs warframe with max settings at 60fps everywhere. My only issue with it is battery life. 2 hours of gaming kills it. Still, for the price I'd certainly recommend it, and not sure what you'll find with better gaming battery life anyway. 

I'll say, if you an find something with a 1060 in your budget, that might be a better buy. 

Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i5-7300HQ, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 15.6" Full HD, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, AN515-51-55WL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Q54GSR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WgNcCbZ5ZBJ58

Edited by Kebast

56 минут назад, (PS4)Cargan2016 сказал:

as long as what ever laptop meats the system requirements you should be fine but laptops have never been the most stable for online games they slightly better than they used to be.  One i used to run is perfect example it could run perfectly fine for hours one day the next could be lucky to go 15-20 min with out a crash then day after that be back to multiple hours fine.  THey just where not really ment or designed for high demand games but more wordprocessing and buisness type tasks on the go.  for best most consistent stability youd be better off with a pc over a laptop for gaming   

Come on, it's 2018, you know? Modern gaming laptops are able to run games just fine. As a person who plays games on laptop for like 5 years now, I'm pretty sure that laptop you mention had either some cooling system issues or it just wasn't gaming laptop. Also, since you've said "online gaming" I could think of some WiFi issues as well.

You know, there're laptops and laptops. Formers are just generic office work machines with some generic graphics card (or even just Intel's integrated GPU which is definitely not for games), while latters are designed for gaming. Those gaming laptops should have a good graphic's card; for previous generations it's NVidia 960M-980M, for current generation it's 10xx series. Current laptop 10xx series are very very similar to their desktop brothers, NVidia had made some kind of revolution back then, and desktop 1050 is just 5-10% faster than laptop 1050. As you might be known, before that laptop cards were a way slower than desktop ones with the same model index, for example, laptop GTX980M (high end laptop graphics in 2014) was like desktop GTX770 (middle card from 2013).

Also, gaming laptops should have good cooling system. They usually have 2 fan coolers, one for CPU and second for GPU. Sometimes there's only one fan cooler though.

And you should never test gaming laptop on battery. The most part of them have built-in energy saving systems, so they don't let CPU and GPU do their best for the sake of long battery life. For example, my laptop runs all games at 30 fps max when it's not plugged in. When plugged in, I play almost every modern game at quite good frame rate with max (or at least high) graphics settings (Mass Effect: Andromeda - 30 fps on Ultra preset, 40 fps on High preset; Assassin's Creed: Origins - 30-45 fps on Ultra settings).

I'm playing games on laptops for hours (all day long at hollidays) and I don't get any stability issues.

10 часов назад, Ermiq сказал:

1050Ti can handle Warframe easily. I have MSI laptop with 1050Ti and i7-7700HQ, Warframe always runs at 60 fps with max settings (V-sync is ON, 1920*1080 resolution). By the wayugh, some other games are not that good, I think I will check out fps with V-sync OFF tonight. Curious about what real fps I'll get.

I did it. Everything is maxed out, V-sync is OFF (so there's no 60 fps limit). I've got the following results: on Orbiter 170-180 fps, on Planes of Eidolon 70-80 fps.

27 minutes ago, Ermiq said:

Come on, it's 2018, you know? Modern gaming laptops are able to run games just fine. As a person who plays games on laptop for like 5 years now, I'm pretty sure that laptop you mention had either some cooling system issues or it just wasn't gaming laptop. Also, since you've said "online gaming" I could think of some WiFi issues as well.

You know, there're laptops and laptops. Formers are just generic office work machines with some generic graphics card (or even just Intel's integrated GPU which is definitely not for games), while latters are designed for gaming. Those gaming laptops should have a good graphic's card; for previous generations it's NVidia 960M-980M, for current generation it's 10xx series. Current laptop 10xx series are very very similar to their desktop brothers, NVidia had made some kind of revolution back then, and desktop 1050 is just 5-10% faster than laptop 1050. As you might be known, before that laptop cards were a way slower than desktop ones with the same model index, for example, laptop GTX980M (high end laptop graphics in 2014) was like desktop GTX770 (middle card from 2013).

Also, gaming laptops should have good cooling system. They usually have 2 fan coolers, one for CPU and second for GPU. Sometimes there's only one fan cooler though.

And you should never test gaming laptop on battery. The most part of them have built-in energy saving systems, so they don't let CPU and GPU do their best for the sake of long battery life. For example, my laptop runs all games at 30 fps max when it's not plugged in. When plugged in, I play almost every modern game at quite good frame rate with max (or at least high) graphics settings (Mass Effect: Andromeda - 30 fps on Ultra preset, 40 fps on High preset; Assassin's Creed: Origins - 30-45 fps on Ultra settings).

I'm playing games on laptops for hours (all day long at hollidays) and I don't get any stability issues.

one the laptop i mentioned was purchased 2016 two it was a wired connection  three i never said laptops could not handle it just that pcs had more reliable stability try reading the whole thing not just parts of what i said

18 minutes ago, (PS4)Cargan2016 said:

one the laptop i mentioned was purchased 2016 two it was a wired connection  three i never said laptops could not handle it just that pcs had more reliable stability try reading the whole thing not just parts of what i said

You just got a lemon. Any respectable brand current laptop with a good video card will game just fine

2 minutes ago, Kebast said:

You just got a lemon. Any respectable brand current laptop with a good video card will game just fine

no I didnt it was a custom built top quality parts and every diagnostic run on it had every part running at 100%  I built it my self with the exact same parts that are in the respectable name brand laptops use but did not pay as much becasue didnt have the markup for it being namebrand so saved 10-15% .  I have a degree in Network administrations and actually owned my own computer repair buisness  for a while before shut it down as was unreliable income due to an oversaturation of computer repair companies in my area and being a signle parent at time I needed steady income not a fluctuating one that was barely making it by one day and ok the next.

35 минут назад, (PS4)Cargan2016 сказал:

As you wish. But I can't read the whole thing when there're missing parts. For example, what do you mean by "crash"? Is it game's crash or OS crash (BSoD)? Or maybe you mean hardware crash, like shutting down because of overheat?

If it's a game's crash with some error message, then I'd say it usually has nothing to do with type of hardware you use. These crashes are game's faults.

If it's a game's crash with no messages, then it could be either game's failure or some driver issue or RAM overload for example. So many reasons there, really, you can't say "it's just because you use laptop", it's a nonsense.

If it's BSoD, then again it might be some driver issues, or more dangerous hardware problems (when something is broken or will be broken/burn soon). It could happen with anything, whether it PC, laptop, TV, phone... You got it.

UPDATE: I've read your post above, I see now. You're must be joking, right?

Edited by Ermiq