Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mature operator and why...

Vlada91

Il y a 18 heures, WRESinn a dit :

With void energy running through their bodies can they even age?

I'm not sure tbh. I surely would like at some point the option of aging them up to 20-25yo. I don't mind them being childlike but I'd prefer a more young adult appearance option if one wants.

But mostly I'd like to be able to exclude most voicelines. They are incredibly cringeworthy. "if we avoid alerting them, this might be easier" you #*!%wit this is a survival mission the whole POINT is to keep their attention on us. 

Edited by Autongnosis

il y a 25 minutes, (PS4)d_HopeCraft_b a dit :

Like stated previously, we need a REASON for this time-laps, and how to incorporate it in the normal game, the only option i can see ( even though Operators dont bother me has they are ) Is the option to chose their "body age" since im sure not all the Zariman children were the exact same age.

Well, this is an other "problem"; yes with these " "" " - The Warframe story is looking at one, or maybe multiple tennos working doing the quest.

The Quills philosophy become handy in this part because they introduce the "multiverse" where each Player can be the Protagonist of His universe; while living with the others Tennos (other players, who are in their own universe their main prota).

Then : make the New War "Tenno counter-attack on Tau" years later, giving the ability to use the Young Tenno; OR the Older Tenno, at will (just like we change our warframe), and Tada~~

After all, new players on Earth can encounter awakened-tenno ... so why not add the Adult variant on top of that mix ? It's not rare in MMORPG to find lvl-100 around the basic-level areas.

2 minutes ago, Umbriellan said:

Well, this is an other "problem"; yes with these " "" " - The Warframe story is looking at one, or maybe multiple tennos working doing the quest.

The Quills philosophy become handy in this part because they introduce the "multiverse" where each Player can be the Protagonist of His universe; while living with the others Tennos (other players, who are in their own universe their main prota).

Then : make the New War "Tenno counter-attack on Tau" years later, giving the ability to use the Young Tenno; OR the Older Tenno, at will (just like we change our warframe), and Tada~~

After all, new players on Earth can encounter awakened-tenno ... so why not add the Adult variant on top of that mix ? It's not rare in MMORPG to find lvl-100 around the basic-level areas.

This goes, once again, to DE, its up to DE to know if they have both the time and resources to do this, because this isnt something we need, its something we want.

DE wont make this unless really needed, sure it would maybe add to the cool factor, but is it profitable ? would people really waste plat if Operators could become adults ? specially the people who already bought the previous Operator gear, we cant forget, they might look normal on the Operators of now, but we cant be sure they would look good on adult Operators.

I think we are all focusing a lot on the whole body-maturity aspect of this discussion, but I think @Vlada91 original post was also talking about the operators' powers growing and maturing too. There has already been some progression for our Operators. We started with only being able to use basic functions, and now through the Quills we have amps. But I am curious to see how far DE goes with this. 

We are told that the Tenno's raw and uncontrolled power mutilated and killed people. Margilus was blinded by one. They had powers terrifying enough that the Orokin wanted to kill all of them out of fear of what they could do. Transference served two purposes, but initially it was meant as the Tenno's salvation to grant them a way to safely interact with the world. 

So the current state of the operator's power, is that the end? Are we seeing the result of years of training where the operator has already mastered control over their void powers? Or are we just at the beginning of remembering our powers? Will our operators powers reach a point that they themselves cannot control? Have we yet to see the raw, untamed power that the Orokin feared?

il y a 5 minutes, (PS4)d_HopeCraft_b a dit :

This goes, once again, to DE, its up to DE to know if they have both the time and resources to do this, because this isnt something we need, its something we want.

It's something we want, true: cosmetics, style, etc...

But it can also be something "we need", just as for the Eidolons, where you can meet : not-awaken tennos player (nearly useless there), just-awaken (with the initial "beam" and ghost operator), and the fully awakened (the point where most of us are standing).

To know why we could want that: we need to work on the subject, the abilities (I'm thinking of speed-running as Quiet in MGS V ; super-long jump as in Star Wars Jedi Academy/Outcast ; etc...), the weapons (warframe weapons but with additionnal void damages, or other things more specific), and mostly: to think about their stats compared to the younger boies & the Focus-system (if it will be linked between the bodies, modified variant for the older, or something totaly independent).

These aside, we can reply to the "why?" with 2 answers that I found:

-1) based only on the work of DE : future challenges could require the old Op' (ex: the blast being change for a void-dagger which would be used to destroy Sentient based shields made by the Grineer)

Bonus: there will be a reason to get the Old-Op; without sacrificing what the Young-Op is giving (we still can deal with Eidolon's shields)

Negative: the reason to get them require introduction of new materials & system by DE, which can take a long time

-2) based only on choices given to the Player : you are adding new mechanism, new opportunities for the Player in their game-style. If the Young-Op is "weak" but useful when focusing Spy-mission (amp being silence; void dash for to avoid laser + invisibility for the CCTV), the  Old-Op is "stronger", quicker and able to fight alongside his warframe (which will be a better AI-compagnion, to the lvl of Umbra as a boss : which worked very well against me in the Sacrifice despite the bugs people encountered).

Bonus: more options given to the Player - Gun&Skill with a Warframe [our today's gameplay]; Quiet as a Young-Tenno [option for Spy mission]; or Run&Gun in duo with an Old-Tenno + Warframe (which WILL affect the Operator, unlike what we have now) [quick extermination teamwork against all factions].

Negative: once again we bump in the "make a better AI system"...

Even if I'm bad a s**t to talk about the focus-system & stats, I would be happy to discuss, suggest, about what an Old-Op could offer in comparison with the Young-Op

3 minutes ago, IntheCoconut said:

I think we are all focusing a lot on the whole body-maturity aspect of this discussion, but I think @Vlada91 original post was also talking about the operators' powers growing and maturing too. There has already been some progression for our Operators. We started with only being able to use basic functions, and now through the Quills we have amps. But I am curious to see how far DE goes with this. 

We are told that the Tenno's raw and uncontrolled power mutilated and killed people. Margilus was blinded by one. They had powers terrifying enough that the Orokin wanted to kill all of them out of fear of what they could do. Transference served two purposes, but initially it was meant as the Tenno's salvation to grant them a way to safely interact with the world. 

So the current state of the operator's power, is that the end? Are we seeing the result of years of training where the operator has already mastered control over their void powers? Or are we just at the beginning of remembering our powers? Will our operators powers reach a point that they themselves cannot control? Have we yet to see the raw, untamed power that the Orokin feared?

I think the whole point of the War Within, was the Operators learning how to control their void powers, i dont see the Operator losing control unless something emotionaly scaring happens, like the death of the Lotus maybe ?

9 minutes ago, Umbriellan said:

To know why we could want that: we need to work on the subject, the abilities (I'm thinking of speed-running as Quiet in MGS V ; super-long jump as in Star Wars Jedi Academy/Outcast ; etc...), the weapons (warframe weapons but with additionnal void damages, or other things more specific), and mostly: to think about their stats compared to the younger boies & the Focus-system (if it will be linked between the bodies, modified variant for the older, or something totaly independent).

And i find the idea of "Operator weapons" a bit stupid, the whole point of the Operator is to be a glass cannon against the sentients, giving them hand to hand weapons just makes them an easy target, thats why we have Umbra and the Paracesis, we dont need "super jump", we have Warframes, we dont need "speed", we have Warframes and the Void Dash, we dont need weapons, we already have the Amps, wich will be worked on has the time goes, the whole point of the Operator is strength trough focus, the more they focus, the more they control their powers, it would not make sense for them to get stronger because of age wen their powers come from focusing the void energy, once again i go back to : Its something we WANT, not something we NEED.

1 hour ago, Umbriellan said:

I'm not a pedopsychiatrist, but there is actually a reason for their behavior :

Whatever we like or not, the Tenno's mind is still connected to their body; an immature body. So even if they lived for millenias, they could only have experiences, suffer PTSD, but their brain will still act as a young, immature, body.

We are like these poor children living in London few years after the Industrial Revolution : alone, on the street, with great responsibilities for that age; but as we're still "young" we can, and still, act as child from time to time.

It makes sense for us humans in our day and age, because our lives are so short. But If you lived for a millennium and experienced quite a fair share of everything (face it, the Operator lived in Orokin society before they killed the Orokin off. How long we don't know, but there's no way they just got the Warframes and bumped off their parent civilisation unprovoked.), it is impossible for you not to act like it. If a normal child is capable of high mental maturity (yes, in our day and age it's possible. When I was ten I was already more comfortable talking adult topics like science and research with adults than fun and games with other children), then it is logical to assume the operator would be able to have higher mental maturity than the average child. In fact, it would be necessary - one can't maintain a childlike innocence when you know, after receiving some education and flying into space (face it, you won't send orokin kids into space without giving them an education first, the operators were not sent on the Zariman as babies) then living a life of killing and fighting, especially over many years. 

The brain continuously adapts to new stimuli and continues to grow. Even when the neurons stop dividing, synapses are created and destroyed on a daily basis. The brain's structure, memories and functions continue to change as this goes along. If what you posited was true, people like eunuchs or those with hormonal imbalances would never grow up mentally as they lack the hormones to complete their development and hormones influence your mind a lot. But this is not true, because such people do attain mental maturity unless they have mental retardation or other diseases that reduce their brain's functional capacity.

That's a poor analogy. Poor Children a few years after the industrial revolution didn't live for thousands of years. If they did they wouldn't be children anymore, so long as their mind were experiencing stimuli, even if cryopreserved.

Look at the Sacrifice's quest: we could say the Operator was stuborn, ignoring Ordis with the threat that gives Umbra, but his/her actions were wise (as if he/she already dealt with PTSD... more hint about the atrocities of the Old War ?) & on the other side, the Operator acted way more as a child, loosing his parent. 

The loss of a parent is something harsh, for anyone, we agree on this. But it seems more important here than the "standard" scenario we could find ourself today: the Operator IS immature, because wasn't (before the Sacrifice's end) entirely alone, entirely independent. Now he has to be; but still doesn't mean he has to be a full adult 100% of the time, day & night.

That's why I agree on the " we need a time-lapse " to have a lore-supported "Adult Operator"

Even an adult would be sad if they lost their parent, especially if they had to kill said parents. Only someone who understands fully that death is natural and will come eventually will not be sad, be it adult or child. The operator feeling kind of sad about Lotus is expected, because you lose a respected figure.

Stubborness is not limited to children, many adults are like this.

You would have thought humans learn from their mistakes and stupidity, but the operator apparently doesn't.

But as for the need for a time lapse, personally I don't think it is necessary, but some would think so. It's quite an iffy matter overall.

Geez, look at this style ! I can't wait to have a full Desert Soldier theme outfit with a grown-up Op':

Hide contents

DVxYh4oX0AErAi1.jpg

I can get behind the suit and the body shape even if I don't like the facial art. The hair's way better too.

1 hour ago, Lakais said:

What reason, what insurance does DE have that if they put in the work to give Operators an Age slider and all the other, equally important work like new voices that match these ages, all the cosmetics and animations to match up with the variable sizes. The code and tech work needed to make this work at the back-end might be doable, but the cost of time and money of it would be such that they must be SURE that it will pay off. And with a player base as fickle as this about the subject, I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

The current voices don't match the age, if you get what I am saying. They kinda sound older, no?

Age and body sliders are something that are nice to have. I can continue to dislike the operator and use them as a mechanic even if DE makes no changes, but since this thread exists we might as well talk about it.

As for the fickleness of the players ... if you give the operator an age slider and am sure no one is going to say no, and those who say no have no real reason. Mainly because you can avoid touching the slider if you don't want to change anything.

1 hour ago, (PS4)d_HopeCraft_b said:

But whit time-laps or by option, this would mean that DE would need to not only make new models for the Operator and their faces faces, but also make more adult voices, new voice-lines to fit the "adult" aspect of them, they would also have to re-model all the Operator suits already in game.

You mean make the kid voices. The current op voices, as I mentioned above, do sound kind of oldish for a kid, especially the male ones.

You earlier said they needed more voice lines anyway as well.

As for the re model ... you realize they managed to do it once so why not again?

1 minute ago, Datam4ss said:

You mean make the kid voices. The current op voices, as I mentioned above, do sound kind of oldish for a kid, especially the male ones.

The voices are appropriated because they arent kids, they are teens/young adults, despite people not seeing them has one, the female Operator voices are good imo, one is happy and go lucky while the other is more of a loner pessimistic type, but i do agree that the male voices need a change, they are the same just one is deeper, it goes from pubescent boy to 30yo man, either they need to change them or to simply add more voices.

Just all imagine when operator is because in mature forms. He can have 4 powers like fames but they can bee active when you have more kills and they power 1 is like what warframe have on power 4... Then you can all imagine how cool and powerful they can bee if they are like that in mature mod. So for example you can shoot with your amp and then you kill 10 enemies, you have option to use his first power that is like excalted blade. Then for th rest of his power the more you kill the more powes you can use.when you use other next 3 powers,then you go again and again. You can see my point and in that direction this can bee challenging specially in bigger level and then rewarding because DE can bee creative with those powers to bee amazing and fun to use.its like you are in some rage mod but when you are in that mod you are not warframe but some other badass dude... 😏👍🍻

2 minutes ago, (PS4)d_HopeCraft_b said:

The voices are appropriated because they arent kids, they are teens/young adults, despite people not seeing them has one, the female Operator voices are good imo, one is happy and go lucky while the other is more of a loner pessimistic type, but i do agree that the male voices need a change, they are the same just one is deeper, it goes from pubescent boy to 30yo man, either they need to change them or to simply add more voices.

No its more like they have only adult actor's for this. Same like what we seen in fortuna kid from racing,he look like 7 or 10 but have voice like some 20/25 years old dude 😁

Community few: Game has a serious dark vibe

DE: Add skateboarding

Community few: ...

Community few: Operator lack of content, we want rewarded by MR and time spent supporting your game.

DE: Ok, lets add aging and death. Add months of age per day logs and MR (1100 days times MR 25 = 27,500, divided by 12 = 2,291 years old = insta death on day of implementation)

Community few: ...

Edited by Souldend78

il y a 20 minutes, (PS4)d_HopeCraft_b a dit :

And i find the idea of "Operator weapons" a bit stupid, the whole point of the Operator is to be a glass cannon against the sentients, giving them hand to hand weapons just makes them an easy target, thats why we have Umbra and the Paracesis, we dont need "super jump", we have Warframes, we dont need "speed", we have Warframes and the Void Dash, we dont need weapons, we already have the Amps, wich will be worked on has the time goes, the whole point of the Operator is strength trough focus, the more they focus, the more they control their powers, it would not make sense for them to get stronger because of age wen their powers come from focusing the void energy, once again i go back to : Its something we WANT, not something we NEED.

The thing is that "Old-Op" as I see them are a new picture, a new concept, that sure has link with what we have now (Young-Op) but bring changes ("not just cosmetic").

We could say that an Old wouldn't have to concentrate that much to get to the same result of the Young, and so most of the Focus-trees (and even other options that we're not having righth now) would be activated (take the exemple of the Jedi, with padawan weak & quickly exhausted & the master always focused & not easily distrubed).

So no, we can't just sit here & being agree with "they're glass canon fodder for Eidolons" : the Old-Operator has to be tankier and more aggressive/powerful.

With your point of view, the game doesn't have to evolve because with the power of all Warframe we can take down every enemy existing on this universe in every situations (only the Railjack will give us the ability to blast an Asteroid (aka: Space Grand-Mother). And in a way you could be right as there is a powercreep...

il y a 31 minutes, Datam4ss a dit :

-snip-

Me too I was more comfortable with adult at young age; but still and just like for the Tennos : the brain is fueled with hormones as they are teenagers (12-16yo).

For their longevity which for you "should bring wisdom": they still have a human brain, with human limitation. In the fiction "Doctor Who" the character "Ashildr/Me" is a perfect representation of the Tennos - you can live forever, but you won't be able to remember everything. You will remember, as an instinct reaction, how to use a bow, or how to fight (insert Jason Bourne joke); but you will tend to forget - having limited memory storage.

Looking at Ashildr, she isn't the wisest despite a very long life. Instead, a very long life made her pessimist, emotionless. The main difference with Her & Us, it's that we're not walking alone, which is keeping us "sane" for the most part (and she was a young woman; we're space teens for now).

2 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

The current voices don't match the age, if you get what I am saying. They kinda sound older, no?

Age and body sliders are something that are nice to have. I can continue to dislike the operator and use them as a mechanic even if DE makes no changes, but since this thread exists we might as well talk about it.

As for the fickleness of the players ... if you give the operator an age slider and am sure no one is going to say no, and those who say no have no real reason. Mainly because you can avoid touching the slider if you don't want to change anything.

The current voices I mark up to personal preference and availability of resources. The current voices are not perfect but they are not bad by any means. Entirely believable but highly subject to personal biases. Only when we get into the territory of making the Operators considerably older does the voice issue pop up more, in my opinion. 

Also comes the question of what exactly do people mean by "age slider". Just the face or the entire body? How drastic must the changes be to appease this fragment of the community while still matching up with the implied "child soldier" concept? Personal preferences and visions are why people make these threads but one must remember that this is DE's creation that follows THEIR vision for it. We can help make it better, but if what we say goes directly against their vision then our opinion means nothing. 

Also, just to throw some maybe-fuel to the fire. Why not have Operators "age" based on use? Meaning someone who doesn't use operators at all doesn't see any changes while as someone who uses them quite extensively will see now just a progression in their apparent age, but also get access to more options. Like more voices, animations. Maybe even some subtle buffs to power. I imagine the dumpster fire that would follow if such a thing were to be implemented, so in the unlikely event of it actually happening: it would likely also come with the caveat that everyone will unlock these changes once they go past certain story quest milestones regardless of overall use, but the heavy Operator users get theirs before these story milestones. 

4 minutes ago, Umbriellan said:

With your point of view, the game doesn't have to evolve because with the power of all Warframe we can take down every enemy existing on this universe in every situations

Thats the point of the whole game, Warframe is a power trip, a game where you grab a character a mow down enemy's like cutting grass, the whole point to the Warframe x Operator dynamic is so that the Warframe is the body, the strength, while the Operator is the mind, the source of the power, the Operators were made to counter Sentients, thats all, they werent made to be the OP character that kills everything in one click, thats what the Warframes are and it should stay that way imo.

Raijack is here to help Archwing, the concept of space battle started whit Archwing, but since the concept failed (a lot of the player base hates Archwing) Railjack was made to give a more actual "space battle" vibe to the Archwing system, and i find it a good idea.

And you keep hitting the same key "Old Operator needs to be more power and tankier". Why ? You are asking DE to simply give the Operator a buff for free, if you want a Tankier or more Powerfull Operator, simply do the focus tree of all schools, you dont need a "Old Operator" to have that, once again, you just WANT a adult Operator because of looks, not because you NEED it, because you really dont from where we are standing.

4 minutes ago, Lakais said:

Also, just to throw some maybe-fuel to the fire. Why not have Operators "age" based on use? Meaning someone who doesn't use operators at all doesn't see any changes while as someone who uses them quite extensively will see now just a progression in their apparent age, but also get access to more options. Like more voices, animations. Maybe even some subtle buffs to power.

I am 100% okay whit this,Operators could be like Warframes or Weapons, have a mastery rank, but instead of 30, i would say 50 ? 10 for each year, so based on the fact that Operator are like what ? 16 or 17 ? This would make them 22 or 21 by the time you finish mastering them.

While you level them up, you gain extra power and health like Warframes.

50 minutes ago, (PS4)d_HopeCraft_b said:

I am 100% okay whit this,Operators could be like Warframes or Weapons, have a mastery rank, but instead of 30, i would say 50 ? 10 for each year, so based on the fact that Operator are like what ? 16 or 17 ? This would make them 22 or 21 by the time you finish mastering them.

While you level them up, you gain extra power and health like Warframes.

But the problem still lies in the actual mechanics and how everything would fit them. Animations, cosmetics, voices. All these things are still an issue. 

2 minutes ago, Lakais said:

But the problem still lies in the actual mechanics and how everything would fit them. Animations, cosmetics, voices. All these things are still an issue. 

Well yea, unless DE makes like some crazy animation wen you reach MR 50 whit the Operator where he like loses control off his powers and ages or something like that, its just a weird thing i dont think the game needs tbh XD

11 minutes ago, (PS4)d_HopeCraft_b said:

Well yea, unless DE makes like some crazy animation wen you reach MR 50 whit the Operator where he like loses control off his powers and ages or something like that, its just a weird thing i dont think the game needs tbh XD

I mean, with DE it's Never say "never". But I also thing that the entire concept fails to climb the first hurtle of who we as an Operator are at the very start. Child warrior, weaponized survivor of the Zariman incident. 

DE could go the absolutely banal route of giving us an optional "self-discovery quest" that basically boils down to a "10 years later" in spongebob meme for a switch in character. But the other option that just now came to me is to use one important plot point from War Within, Continuity. 

Basically, we could transfer our minds into an another body. Now I noticed that in the back of the Helminth room is essentially a pod of some kind. Now it could be a life support pod meant for the operator for long voyages, but what if we could retrofit that, and use the helminth to grow ourselves a new operator body and use Continuity to switch into that one. It's still absolutely batsh*t bonkers, but the parts are there. 

Edited by Lakais

20 hours ago, (PS4)Cargan2016 said:

its kind of point we dont actually know how old they are because the void energy they could be among the oldest beings around that are organic (some of the sentients im sure are as old)  but with way orokin transferred their consciousness to new bodies even the ones still around could be said to be not as old physically

Kind of makes you wonder why the Orokin didn't try to transfer their consciousness into the Tenno bodies.... I'm not sure if that's possible, but it could be.  Scifi and all.

4 hours ago, Autongnosis said:

I'm not sure tbh. I surely would like at some point the option of aging them up to 20-25yo. I don't mind them being childlike but I'd prefer a more young adult appearance option if one wants.

But mostly I'd like to be able to exclude most voicelines. They are incredibly cringeworthy. "if we avoid alerting them, this might be easier" you #*!%wit this is a survival mission the whole POINT is to keep their attention on us. 

Well, the point is that they were kids that got void powers from exposure and were brought back, turned into weapons, and then put into stasis to protect them from the Orokin that wanted to see them dead.  They're supposed to be kids due to that alone so making one that's 20 something doesn't fit the lore of the story.   I'm honestly curious, though.  Why do you want to make an adult Tenno?  There has to be a reason right?

Also I don't want anyone to complain about the Tenno voice lines until someone explains to me who they're talking to.  Is it the warframes?  The things made of Helmith and the Ordis equivalent of duct tape and gorilla glue?  I don't think you're mind slaves are in any state to reply to you, kiddo.

8 minutes ago, WRESinn said:

Kind of makes you wonder why the Orokin didn't try to transfer their consciousness into the Tenno bodies.... I'm not sure if that's possible, but it could be.  Scifi and all.

because they considered them tainted several times in lore they called the tenno devils and accused them of witchery.  

Spoiler

and actually the grineer queens tried just that with us during war within

6 minutes ago, WRESinn said:

Well, the point is that they were kids that got void powers from exposure and were brought back, turned into weapons, and then put into stasis to protect them from the Orokin that wanted to see them dead.  They're supposed to be kids due to that alone so making one that's 20 something doesn't fit the lore of the story.   I'm honestly curious, though.  Why do you want to make an adult Tenno?  There has to be a reason right?

Also I don't want anyone to complain about the Tenno voice lines until someone explains to me who they're talking to.  Is it the warframes?  The things made of Helmith and the Ordis equivalent of duct tape and gorilla glue?  I don't think you're mind slaves are in any state to reply to you, kiddo.

you got to remember the lore about how the tenno got thier void powers all the adults on the ship went insane and killed each other or got killed by the tenno in self defence.  so there must be something with the mature adult mind or body that is affected negatively by the void exposure that long.  also we dont actually know how old the tenno where when the old war ended.  far as we know that old war could of lasted 60-70 years and we didnt even age then despite being 70-80 years old when put in stasis before game even started.  all we know is the apparent physical age once we get that far in game

7 hours ago, ElGuirrix said:

If you look at the codex entry of Vor's Prize after completion, and assuming it's talking about us since the quest itself is basically about us, it says that being put out of stasis so harshly has likely affected our memory.

It's an old piece of lore, yes, and not the best explanation in the world too, but it's what we have. And makes me think that it doesn't go the way of us not ever knowing we aren't the frames, but more so of not remembering it until the truth slaps us in the face. Since right at the end of second dream and during future quests, our tenno is clearly remembering more stuff.

It'd be neat to get a bit more exposition from time to time though.

Been so long (years) since I've done Vor's prize so....thank you for that refresher!