Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Add option to hold down left click and have warframe continuously fire semi-auto weapons as firerate allows

Campaigner

This is a "horde shooter" and I tend not to use semi-autos with high fire rate because I really don't want to wear out my mouse and the tendons in my pointer finger. 

Other games out there (lesser games) like Overwatch have this and it's one of the few QoL features missing in Warframe.

Yeah the new Akvasto P looks good but I won't be using it after hitting rank 30 because it's semi auto. Same goes for secondary fire weapons like the Corinth and specially the Panthera, it has a interesting Gears of war style flipping chainsaw but you have to hold down the secondary fire to use it which makes turning around impossible. DE clearly wasn't thinking of console players when making these weapons, being able to toggle secondary fire and hold fire to use semi auto weapons would help controller users a lot

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

what definition of "horde shooter" are you using?

anyway, this would make the concept of different trigger types pointless, so not exactly something that will happen

It's a horde shooter as in you kill hundreds (if not thousands) of enemies swarming you. That's a lot of clicking!

Also, no, it would not make the different categories of triggers irrelevant. The delay between shots would be unchanged and the strengths of each trigger type would likewise remain unchanged. All that would change is how much your finger hurts from spamming clicks so damned much.

4 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

anyway, this would make the concept of different trigger types pointless, so not exactly something that will happen

it wouldn't because people already use macros to get around it. Both players who want to hit max fire rate and those who are disabled will often just bind fire to mousewheel to get around the mechanic too. This change wouldn't really change anything for the guns except make them more accessible to everyone. Also I want to point out that for many semi auto guns you don't actually want to fire at max fire rate all the time because of recoil, the lex is a good example of this.  In many cases the players would still pause between shots for the higher recoil guns but actually be able to use the lower recoil spammy semi autos with greater ease.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

It makes more sense than wasting an extra button on a mouse.

Those who play WoW, for example, use their mouse button 1 and mouse button 2 for moving itself (we don't use WASD keys) and pressing both 1 and 2 mouse buttons is the "W" key, too. So mouse keys CAN have double usage, and it's much better with it being on the mouse than the keyboard.

Would be even better if we can bind CTRL/Shift/Alt keys to those 2 mouse keys, too. That's enough key combos to avoid using the keyboard too much in action games (think about it that's the 4 frame abilities right there with just 2 keys AND fire modes).

10 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

this would make the concept of different trigger types pointless

I think this isn't much of an issue considering the accessibility problem of semi-auto weapons. Even if you don't have a disability or something, it's a huge strain on the hand, and it's just not good control. That's why people use macros for it. People should not have to use macros to get around this; it should be in the game.

I wouldn't mind it being slightly slower than the maximum fire rate, as long as it's there.

• Like 6

So basically you want to remove semi-auto weapons? I mean, if it cycles automatically wouldn't it be an automatic?

More the issue is, fast semi-auto weapons which play like automatics but require one click per shot. Counter proposal: For semi-automatics which has a fire rate higher than 4,  reduce rate of fire but buff damage to keep the same DPS.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Momaw said:

So basically you want to remove semi-auto weapons? I mean, if it cycles automatically wouldn't it be an automatic?

More the issue is, fast semi-auto weapons which play like automatics but require one click per shot. Counter proposal: For semi-automatics which has a fire rate higher than 4,  reduce rate of fire but buff damage to keep the same DPS.

That sounds like a rework and I'm asking for something that is way easier to implement. Rather than spamming Warframe servers with fire imputs and having some of them get through to trigger shots whenever fire rate allows why not just have the player choose (in options menu) to have their warframe shoot the semi auto as fast as the weapon allows?! 

If this really too difficult for people to understand? How is binding "fire weapon" to mouse scroll or making a macro to spam for you somehow better than just implementing some common sense QoL for everyone?

Edited by Campaigner
  • Like 1

It's not "common sense quality of life", you're literally suggesting that people should have an option to turn off semi-automatic triggers as a gameplay feature.  I'd rather DE do nothing at all than to take a half-step by letting people opt out of semi auto entirely. They'd just be automatics with the fire rate capped at 10 (a restriction put in to prevent people with fire macros from abusing these weapons). I understand WHY you are suggesting this, and I agree that it's a problem, but your solution seems a bit off target. The game would be better if semi automatic remains a thing, but some stats slightly changed to address the carpal tunnel issue: each click should feel meaningful and powerful, instead of requiring a machine gun clicking action to match the performance of actual machine guns.

(Out of curiosity I started looking into:  How many semi-automatic weapons actually have a fire rate over 4?  For primaries it's only Latron family, Argonak (on semi), Stradavar (on semi).  Main offenders are pistols: there are 23 of them.)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Momaw said:

It's not "common sense quality of life", you're literally suggesting that people should have an option to turn off semi-automatic triggers as a gameplay feature.  I'd rather DE do nothing at all than to take a half-step by letting people opt out of semi auto entirely.

Vectis Prime negative rounds is an example of turning a semi-auto rifle to essentially an automatic (not at Amprex levels, no, but you'll never notice the reload, either). It takes me almost 3 seconds to reload an Amprex that IS an automatic, but it's less than a second with the Vectis Prime. Modding it with less rounds, it's essentially a v-e-r-y high powered automatic rifle with just 1 round!

Yeah, be great to have a continuous fire method now! 🤣

9 hours ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

Is there a Warframe page with macro commands? Does Warframe have macro conditionals, too?

Would LOVE to know to keybind 3 keys to ONE button to bullet jump! Even better map it to the mouse!

Not Warframe itself. You need some software on your PC to manage that.

Sorry I can't help as I don't own a PC, but maybe ask around, many players do this for all kinds of stuff, including auto firing semi auto guns and also melee slide spin2win attacks.

I just did a quick Youtube search and this one maybe useful: 

17 hours ago, Momaw said:

I'd rather DE do nothing at all than to take a half-step by letting people opt out of semi auto entirely.

Why would that even be a problem? In what way would this accessibility feature affect you negatively? It would be exactly the same as firing normally, except without the painful click spam. There's absolutely nothing wrong with giving people that option to save their hands.

If macros don't ruin the game, neither will this option.

The idea is stupid. It whould literally defeat the very reason for the existence of semi-auto and turn semi-auto into full-auto weapons. Some fast firing semi-autos should be turned into full-auto but the majority should be left as they are. 

• Like 2

Perhaps we should phrase the problem statement as, "High rate of fire semi-autos are a poor design decision."

.. anyway, they are dead content to me as well. Any of the ideas proposed so far would be an improvement. 

Not sure how many players know this but there is an internal cooldown to Semi-Auto and Burst weapons.

Even if you can click fast enough to manage the weapon's fire rate. You cannot actually get said fire rate. In some cases it's not humanly possible. The faster a weapon fires the smaller this cooldown period gets but some weapons have been notoriously bad with it like Old Simulor, Staticor and Fluctis. Weapons you actually want that full fire rate.

Aside from disabilities and not wanting to RMA a year old mouse; Not allowing a " hold for continuous fire " option automatically limits the weapon's performance in spite of the player's ability to land shots. Now if they removed this input cooldown then I'd have less of an argument.

4 hours ago, Walkampf said:

The idea is stupid. It whould literally defeat the very reason for the existence of semi-auto and turn semi-auto into full-auto weapons. Some fast firing semi-autos should be turned into full-auto but the majority should be left as they are. 

I guess this macro I just made to turn my semi-autos into autos must make you mad then, huh?

Overwatch, which just won the 2018 award for best Esports game, has had this feature as the default for years! But alas, I'm sure that if they had a genius like you on their dev team to swoop in and remove that feature Overwatch would be even better! 

Edited by Campaigner

4 hours ago, Walkampf said:

Think of it being a bump stock. The rifle fires at semi-auto rates, but with help with another option, can fire at automatic rates.

Still have to aim to shoot (like with the Vectis Prime as the bonuses are with headshots), so the user still can't fire like a mad man running around (it's a sniper rifle afterall).

30 minutes ago, (PS4)ZeusDeOGod said:

change joystick or buy macro keypad for pc. and console buy hori pad fps... 

Go buy expensive thing is not an ideal solution. Either fast fire semi autos should be changed to full automatics or there should be an option to hold the mouse button down to continue firing. Hell I'd even take a goddamn mod that turns them into full auto at this point because I'm sick of having to avoid semi autos for health reasons.

22 minutes ago, Drasiel said:

Go buy expensive thing is not an ideal solution. Either fast fire semi autos should be changed to full automatics or there should be an option to hold the mouse button down to continue firing. Hell I'd even take a goddamn mod that turns them into full auto at this point because I'm sick of having to avoid semi autos for health reasons.

game have reason for make it like that.. if he change semi-auto to full auto DE will nerf damage for balance the game and you god like weapon will become to toy.