Suggestion for weapon diversity

PERSONA-NON-GRAKATA

There are hundreds of weapons, and I see players have a personal preference towards a certain weapon (until it gets nerfed anyway). This is a problem, because then a lot of underrated/underperforming weapons became simply just MR fodders and tossed right away. And then there's also riven dispo saturation (this will become problematic when riven dispo change becomes regular occurence).

What if, to enforce players to cycle between weapons (not just cycling mods within) and as a counter against riven dispo saturation, there's this durability system? (Also to add a little more realism into the lore, but whatevs I guess)

So, after each mission, the weapons you carried into that mission will lose a tiny bit of its durability (exponential with MR/usage % in the mission/mission condition, maybe?) and will have a diminished damage (probably like beast companion, start from 200%) until it does no damage at all. And then it has to be put into foundry for maintenance for as long as the % of the durability lost.

Furthermore, potato'd and forma'd weaps would have more durability/lose less durability to ensure that you can still use your fav weaps more than other weaps. Also weaps brought into SO/ESO woulnd't lose any durability since it's in the sim. But let's not make the weapon destroyed when it reaches 0% durability because then that's just #*!%ing with players.

I think this system is feasible since it's already implemented in beast companion (although it's time based). It's just sad seeing hundreds of weapons to choose yet people only use meta for the heck of it.

What's your opinion on this?

corinth is my life just gunna state that first 

now the idea it self is interesting but i think might be too idk how to word it rough? say someone who is just using weapons they find fun and that pool is small how about make this system start to apply when a riven is put in since they can be very powerful and push a weapon harder then it should go make that show that yes its much more power full then it with just normal mods and would probably take damage from the riven straining it to preform this way and that in turn would make rivens a less ok lets make this weapon a skin of a weapon type like most meta rivens do since it seems to me the community seems to be overly dependent on rivens 

Edited by seprent

Wouldn't this just be bypassed by building multiple copies of Ignises(Igni?) and Arca Plasmors?

There will be a sort of weapon hierarchy with how they decided to scale a rough DPS metric on grades of mastery rank and I think it is fine. 

The current problems are that certain weapons are always selected due to the functionality of "close enough" such as high range melees, Ignis and Arca Plasmor and those that are outliers in the ranks. I'd rather they address those specifically rather than penalize you for liking an Arca Scisco. This system will harm people who use less popular weapons too.

Except then, one of three situations occur.

1: New players cannot repair weapons/do not know how to, and quit.

2: People only login once their weps are replenished, and otherwise aren't in the game, spending dosh for ingame dosh.

3: People just make two copies and sidestep this issue entirely, like the old revive system.  Which was removed circa U18 because it was either too punishing on newbs and only a minute slap on the wrist for vets.  Like this idiotic system.

I've seen similar features in other F2P games, usually mobile ones, and it wasn't really fun since the only way to repair damaged weapons were to spend premium currency. DE are not greedy mobile developers but most if not all their 'pay to skip' mechanics are based around platinum which even though it's easily farmable for most, I wouldn't want to spend it to repair a weapon that I use a lot just because I like it.

If DE wants players to use the 90% of weapons in the game that are classified as mr fodder then they should buff their base stats instead of nerfing powerful weapons and their rivens, a garbage weapon with a godly riven is still garbage compared to a 'meta' weapon of it's type.

Yes. Different players have differrent preference. But there are millions of player and almost all of them have different preference.

Just like frames. Different players have different frame they like to use.

Edited by novalery

44 minutes ago, Parzii said:

jesus christ no. that's a horrible idea akin to what those f2p fps games do and it sucks. let people use what they want, don't force them to use certain weapons. anything can be made viable for the vast majority of the content in this game.

Well agree

Just let them use any weapons they want,F2P game be like. Don't complain

1 hour ago, PERSONA-NON-GRAKATA said:

enforce players to cycle between weapons

if i wanted to be playing League of Legends, i would be already.

to say i abhor games that 'balance' by deliberately making certain things objectively superior to others temporarily and then to move it to something else and rotate it around in a circle... is quite the understatement.
Warframe has plenty of this as it is, in no way whatsoever do i desire more of it. i have no interest i copying the bad Game Design principles that other games carry.

if Players are sticking to a very small number of Weapons that they copy pasted wholesale from some Youtube/Twitch content they watched and are following the train tracks they are told to follow without ever looking around - that is the fault of the Player. but, they are within their rights to do that.
however that would necessitate their opinion on the state of things in the game being ignored, since they are well, ignoring the game.
but either way, that's on them that they decided they would never look around them and try other things, to find more things that they like. there's a lot of Equipment that is very effective. it's not my fault nor the fault of the game if the Player(s) aren't capable of experimenting with things and learning how the game works.

Edited by taiiat

Haha....next you gonna tell me each individual frame should have 4 "energy" and each mission cost 1 "energy" to play.

But assuming that I take your idea seriously for a second, I would've just craft dozens of copy of my favorite weapon and rotate them. So your idea changes nothing except greatly annoy everyone.

Edited by -AiLuoLi-

Weapon diversity is sadly a pipe dream and the player base finding the most effective weapons tends to be the reason for this and while players who are dedicated to their weapons (as much as I love my Veldt I know its outclassed to hell and back) it won't change the fact that people who want results will gravitate to the strongest weapon for the situation, the same is true with frames (coughSayrncough). 

Forcing players to change is never a good method for any reason as all it does is limit players and games that limit players are often found with no players left.

Weapon durability in most games is used as a credit sink more than anything else...This game doesn't require this so the mechanic is needless.

Likewise, I'll never understand why it is that the very first thing people think of to encourage changes in behavior is to punish the current behavior.

...Using a durability system to punish item choice does just that.

Another idea to accomplish the same thing would be to award an additional XYZ% increase to A/B/C (affinity, focus, or w/e) gain for a specific weapon or weapon type used that day/week/weekend

Basically turning the item itself into a lowgrade booster.

An idea like that achieves the exact same effect and, likely, makes DE money at the same time with people wanting to augment the boost or buy the weapon in question to use for that period.

12 hours ago, PERSONA-NON-GRAKATA said:

What's your opinion on this?

So basically "Hey, lets implement a system that is a minor annoyance to vets/people with lots of weapons but becomes a major hindrance for new players/people without lots of weapon slots!"
Imagine how annoying this would be for someone who doesn't buy tons and tons of weapon slots and just has their favorite weapons.  What are they supposed to do with this system in place?
Or what about new players who simply don't have a ton of weapons?
Those players are just being screwed over by this with little option to combat it.
Also, how long is the "repair" process?  And what happens if a player has all of their gear currently being "repaired"?

Meanwhile vets or players that have tons of weapon slots will barely, if ever, notice this system in place as they have dozens of weapons they could be using at any time.

This has the same problems as the old "4 revives per frame per day."
It unfairly punishes newer players, and those without a ton of slots, and has absolutely no impact on older players with a ton of slots.
Further it wouldn't really achieve your stated goal.  Players could still just rotate between the X top weapons on a regular basis and repair one or two on the side and never have to move away from the Top X weapons.  They would only have to deal with the occasional annoyance of "Better put this weapon into the foundry for the next 24 hours...." with absolutely no upsides.

EVERYTHING is MR toss out.
EVERYTHING is useful if you like it. I remember being told Sonicor was crap. But I liked it, increase the blast and impact and it fit great with my ember.

Why I tell you about the sonicor- PLAY YOUR WAY. While it's nice to have the min/max best of everything, grinding for that makes the game more job than play. Get it when you get it. Get a group that will make the farming fun. I wouldnt worry about it. It's like this in EVERY MMO. Elderscrews online, Notneverwinter Online. World of WhatthehellamIdoinghere, ... power creep, nerfs, everything you worked toward being made useless,,, ALL of them do it. Keeps you playing and farming so that you can keep the edge on the mobs and other players, It's the way the keep the game fresh, so to speak. Once you realize that this is the state of MMOs, you start to realize it's just another aspect of the game and it's not such a point of contention any more.

16 hours ago, PERSONA-NON-GRAKATA said:

durability system?

no, dear god no, and hell no to this.

in addition to Warframe, I play Warface; a F2P FPS shooter that has a weapon durability system. in Warface weapons that you acquire temporarily don't have durability, but weapons unlocked or bought permanently do, and it's an absolute pain in the a$$ having to repair every weapon and piece of armour after every mission. when you get more expensive equipment, it also costs more to repair, and it gets to a point where you're barely making any profit from missions at all because your money is being constantly drained by repair fees.

I don't want to have to spend 75% of the take from each mission repairing my frame, weapons, and companion. it's just an annoying system that would punish newer players and irritate older ones. it would also prevent people from using their favorite gear.

Edited by (PS4)robotwars7

some of those or most of those  fodder weapons are weapons that players have used and didn't like it, so forcing them to regress back to them is silly. in case you haven't noticed a whole system was implemented for those fodder weapons (rivens) which is basically a waste as it is, because youre still gonna use your favorite weapon for main play or serious play. even if you have all rivens for all fodder weapons.

they are fodder because they were "made" to be fodder and rivens cant help them either.. dps is second to kps in high level play, fast and efficient killing will always beat slow and hard hitting killings in any shooter type game. it isn't meta its all about kps kills per seconds.