Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How big does Warframe need to get before we start seeing some toys?

Hypernaut1

From a business perspective: Toys (like 10-inch action figures) tend to only appear at the very beginning of a corporate model, or as a means of hedging in more funds. The main appeal of them comes from human's desire to have a solid representation of their idol; so either the series revolves around trying to advertise these toys (like the Transformers series), or its a direct byproduct of the series already being super popular (Halo megablocks/toys). That said, Warframe isn't famous enough to warrant this investment. Only a few hundred products would likely get sold due to only the most zealous players being willing to buy them.

That's mainly why the few toy-ish things are the highly detailed statues. They can freely charge insane prices for the higher quality by marketing them as a display piece, rather than an interactive toy. This way they still make a profit even though only a handful of products are sold.

Put simply: toy figures are only for super-popular series.

4 hours ago, (XB1)alchemPyro said:

From a business perspective: Toys (like 10-inch action figures) tend to only appear at the very beginning of a corporate model, or as a means of hedging in more funds. The main appeal of them comes from human's desire to have a solid representation of their idol; so either the series revolves around trying to advertise these toys (like the Transformers series), or its a direct byproduct of the series already being super popular (Halo megablocks/toys). That said, Warframe isn't famous enough to warrant this investment. Only a few hundred products would likely get sold due to only the most zealous players being willing to buy them.

That's mainly why the few toy-ish things are the highly detailed statues. They can freely charge insane prices for the higher quality by marketing them as a display piece, rather than an interactive toy. This way they still make a profit even though only a handful of products are sold.

Put simply: toy figures are only for super-popular series.

you dont think Warframe is popular enough?

4 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

you dont think Warframe is popular enough?

Do you see commercials for it on TV? Or how about on youtube ads? Warframe has a massive community relative to its company, but the total is overall tiny compared to larger series like Halo, CoD, CSGO, etc. Its a matter of having enough saturation within the potential market to actually get people to pick up on it.

The odds of a random kid walking through the toy section and noticing a Fortnite toy: High. The odds of the same happening to a Warframe toy: Low. Odds of investment: Nill.

17 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I'm talking all of it. From those Funko Pop figures to those tiny action figures, those surprise boxes, etc. There's so many cool little things for other games (that aren't $70) at these stores. I'm surprised there isn't a trace of Warframe

Christ I hate those Funko pop figures, Iose all respect for people when I see people buy them.

On 2018-12-11 at 6:21 AM, -skimmer- said:

well, the obvious first step is to make it into an anime...

Usually I cringe when I see posts about Warframe anime, but in this case the fella is right.

Going anime is the best bet to attract Bandai's and Tamashi Nation's attention to get some good quality stuff out of it.

3 hours ago, Kasp0me said:

And also think about the age-requirement for this game, its a no go.

Toys aren't just for kids. There's a huge market for high end premium stuff for adult collectors. And those are the ones who have disposable income to spend on some plastic.

$450 Optimus Prime figure is currently #1 best seller on Amazon, for example. Fully poseable figure, not statue. Those goes for 4-digit ammounts.

I don't think Hot Toys targets kids with their endless line of $300 Avengers toys either.

So yeah, give me S.H.F. Warframe toys, and my wallet is ready to fork over $60-120 a piece.

Edited by WindigoTG

3 hours ago, (XB1)alchemPyro said:

Do you see commercials for it on TV? Or how about on youtube ads? Warframe has a massive community relative to its company, but the total is overall tiny compared to larger series like Halo, CoD, CSGO, etc. Its a matter of having enough saturation within the potential market to actually get people to pick up on it.

The odds of a random kid walking through the toy section and noticing a Fortnite toy: High. The odds of the same happening to a Warframe toy: Low. Odds of investment: Nill.

Er... Warfame already advertises on Youtube. They have banner ads as well as trailers. They've also sponsored a few Youtubers to make Warframe content (to my derision but it's their choice)... I was just on IGN a few minutes ago looking up information for another game and they had banners for Fortuna running non-stop.

What you seem to be thinking of is the Youtuber effect where smaller games like Bendy&tIM or Undertale get huge boosts from the biggest Youtubers. Once discovered, there's a race among these huge Youtube gamers to record and upload a video of the interesting new indie game. Since Warframe started out at a certain quality and has had changes made to it over time, it's a completely different game than it was in year one or two. There's not going to be a sudden upsurge in popularity that suddenly puts Warframe on everyone's radar at once. The closest we got to that was the Plains of Eidolon update, but even so, Warframe's community is just going to get larger so slowly and quietly that by the time we notice it the game will be worldwide. The same goes for the merchandise.

I wish that having one of those wretched Funko-Pop figures wasn't considered the sign that you've "made it" into popular culture, but here we are... :/
I think it's inevitable that we'll be seeing Warframe mugs and t-shirts in stores outside of DE's own. So long as the game keeps going, it's just a matter of time.

On 2018-12-10 at 11:07 PM, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

This? 

WARFRAME (@PlayWarframe) Tweeted:
Warframe’s open-world expansion, Fortuna, launches December 10 on Xbox One and PS4! #TheGameAwards #LiftTogether

In celebration, here’s a sneak peek of our new collab with @mashed! https://t.co/K9ThGozhC2 https://twitter.com/PlayWarframe/status/1070872960997634048?s=17  

https://twitter.com/PlayWarframe/status/1070872960997634048?s=20

Yep.

I think this game needs to come out of perpetual beta with a clear vision for endgame systems and a proper cohesive narrative. 

The games in a perpetual state of half baked ideas ontop of oher half baked unfinished ideas.

Maybe if the game had some structure and released in a finished state, we might actually start caring about stuff like toys.

Until then. I think they should hurry up and finish the game. Instead of stringing us along with the next gimmick designed to siphon your wallet.