Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Large Ember Suggestion. Completely New Ultiamte.

Estred

I was going to post this in the Ember Thread, however it's too large and I would like direct feedback too.

Fireball: I am very glad that it finally sticks to enemies which is great. I think however it would be much more cost effective and fun to use over World on Fire if when Fireball first hits it causes a miniature Fireblast (spherical). This plays to it's name and makes Ember able to light groups on fire from a range. This initial burst would apply a stagger adding utility to it at range making Ember more versatile. Those caught in the fireball itself would be struck with Cinder's, an effect that deals DoT. Most feel that Fireball is lackluster in range and damage output. I agree and I do have maxed Focus, Continuity and Stretch on Ember and still feel underwhelmed compared to other low-cost abilities.

Overheat: The change is definitely a step in the right direction. I would make it 50% Reduction and not scale with Focus though. It's more a protective-offense ability that works well with Melee. I hope melee is addressed in Update 10's damage fix. However Overheat would feel much better if it had a form of visual radius. Like a heat shimmer, enemies within that radius have their armor reduced by a percent based on rank of Overheat. This rewards Ember for taking a risk by running in and also benefits her team by creating debuff-zones and adding team-utility to a Damage Frame.

Fireblast: The problem in both directions is clear to me. Old-Fireblast bugs aside was just a World On Fire clone. Now however it's very situational for 75 energy against anything but Infested to where it shines. I actually have a rework for WoF that I think many may like. I think Fireblast should be what World on Fire is now. A ring of fire that travels with Ember. However, have it increase her movement speed. If you combine it with Overheat it should create a high-damage zone by combining Armor/Resist Debuff and high DoT. This adds the skill synergism I feel she is missing.

World on Fire: Here is my favorite skill and I have a great suggestion to add both a new spin and the Parkour System to Ember for amazing results. Make it a Channeled Skill. Ember cannot shoot or Melee during World on Fire. Ember after a short charge up begins to shoot jets of flame from her hands gaining Flame-Wings which fits to her Avian style. All new skills cost Energy which rapidly regenerates during WoF to allow creatitve chaining of skills to make up for not being able to use guns or melee.

- Wings of Flame: Ember lifts herself into the air hovering and gaining movement speed. Increasing the damage her fire jets deal and also surrounding her in a huge spinning pillar of fire.

- Flameburst: Ember detonates flipping her into the air in to a spin, again keeping the flares she is shooting dealing constant damage. Detonated area creates a miniature Fireblast effect that stays where she detonated.

- Solar Flare: Spreading her new flame wings she leaps up in a backflip-loop and flies in a straight forward to target location (in air or on ground). Enemies along the path are ignited dealing a DoT similar to Fireball and take a moderate bust of damage, less than Flameburst.

- Supernova: Channeling a massive sun-like fireball around her she spins in the air for a duration before exploding in a huge fireball. This ability terminates World on Fire.

Once World on Fire terminates She loses energy to a set point regardless of how much she had when she activated or ended the skill.

Edit: Termination Energy Penalty is up to DE basically WoF is an "all or nothing" skill that either leaves you with no energy or little energy (probably just enough for Overheat)

Edit: Wings of flame now updated to properly reflect what it is doing for Ember.

Edit: Added a short duration stun to the initial blast of Fireball to bring more utility to Ember making her Hybrid design more attractive.

Edited by Estred

Your idea for solar flare is an interesting skill, an escape+offensive skill. This kind of thing fits Ember.  If she's not supposed to be tough in any kind of way (despite looking like the toughest of the female frames....), having short bursts of mobility with an offense component seems to be a good way to approach her.

As much as I could probably handle the change of 4 changing all of her abilities, the fact that it shuts out some of her regular abilities makes this a less attractive option.

Fireball definitely needs a redesign, and you're completely right about Ember not having any real synergy within her kit or with allies.  Overheat is fine where it is, or probably will be with the damage rework (I really wish they delayed these changes until then..did not expect to see them go in beforehand).  I just wish it brought more utility to the table.  

Your idea for solar flare is an interesting skill, an escape+offensive skill. This kind of thing fits Ember.  If she's not supposed to be tough in any kind of way (despite looking like the toughest of the female frames....), having short bursts of mobility with an offense component seems to be a good way to approach her.

As much as I could probably handle the change of 4 changing all of her abilities, the fact that it shuts out some of her regular abilities makes this a less attractive option.

Fireball definitely needs a redesign, and you're completely right about Ember not having any real synergy within her kit or with allies.  Overheat is fine where it is, or probably will be with the damage rework (I really wish they delayed these changes until then..did not expect to see them go in beforehand).  I just wish it brought more utility to the table.  

Well, they are loosely redesigned versions of her normal skills based more on movement and damage.

Solar Flare is a reworked Fireball based on movement, dealing instant damage and applying a DoT

Flameburst is just Fireblast but with movement attached to it.

Wings of Flame is just an added effect to World on Fire to further the damage it already deals by making Ember into a Fire-Tornado.

Supernova is really Fireball but about 10 times more destructive.

I do see where you are coming though. Do you mean "shut out" as in being unable to use or do you mean it as "these are flat better"? World on Fire in this version is an all or nothing type skill hence the energy loss.

I actually like world on fire the way it is, it just needs the bugs fixed. I like some of your other ideas though and maybe they could serve as a replacement for fireblast since it doesn't fit her kit at all currently. Not a fan of giving ember wings either. Solar flare minus the wings sounds great for a third ability since ember's overheat and WoF seem to suggest a mobile caster yet she lacks the base speed or mobility skills to do it.

I like your fireball change too.

I have an idea as well. Ember launches her self with explosive power to a target location, applying an AoE DoT to targets near the impact site. Causes Explosion damage and knockdown at the point of origin and a fire damage DoT dealing higher damage but only a stagger at the point of impact. This could be used for mobility and a bit of CC. It could also be cast directly under you to cause massive damage and a knockdown in a small area around you.

Edited by merryfistmas

I actually like world on fire the way it is, it just needs the bugs fixed. I like some of your other ideas though and maybe they could serve as a replacement for fireblast since it doesn't fit her kit at all currently. Not a fan of giving ember wings either. Solar flare minus the wings sounds great for a third ability since ember's overheat and WoF seem to suggest a mobile caster yet she lacks the base speed or mobility skills to do it.

The aesthetics of the wings are playing to her Pheonix style which I wished to accent only during World on Fire which my suggestion reworks into a high-mobility ultimate. Normally Ember would still be zoning and and mid-range caster. If you have any insight on something I may have missed please voice it.

I understand that it would only be during WoF. I just despise the idea of wings on ember personally no matter how brief they are there..

It was mostly for visualization of the flight during Solar Flare. I personally wouldn't mind either way.