Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Equinox review

Naneel

As Equinox is most likely the next prime (after Mesa) I would like to collect rework ideas, wishes and hopes, so that she don't end like Ember with Maim being the most problematic part.

So I will start with my ideas.

Passiv Is defenitely not bad and I like the idea, as it fits her theme really good, but it could be a bit better. I have two ideas to improve this :

• a) Keep the effect as it is, but instead of 10% conversion make it 20%. So a 25 Health Orb will grant 5 Energy instead of 2. This is not much but could be a little better in the long run.
  • b) Keep the 10% effect, but apply it to all sorts of Healing/Energy restore. This could probably be to good.

1st Ability I think this is fine as it is. The animation could be faster, but this is not urgent.

2nd Ability : Rest is fine, Rage could use some work, but I don't have an idea what would be better.

3rd Ability : Pacify needs to get rid of the inner circle mechanic, It does not make much sense and you cannot really see the inner rings. As it benefits all team members its okay not to reach such a high damage reduction as single target skills, but maybe the effect could be a bit higher. Let the effect fade over a short time when enemies leave the range/you switch forms. Provoke is fine as it is.

4th Ability Maim should be reworked completely to avoid the same fate that hit Ember and to encurage more active gameplay. Mend is not bad, but for consistency between the skills I would also alter this one. ametueraspirant had a good idea in his thread, that I want to see in a slightly altered version :

• You create an AOE around you, that stays where you created it.
  • it has a duration and either stays (for its rest) when switching forms or change the effect (could be the augment)
  • In Day Form this will stagger (only once upon entering) and damage enemies (as long as they stay inside). I would change the damage from Slash, as iI find it not very fitting for Day, but I am not sure what would fit better.
  • In Night Form enemies will be slowed/get a cold proc and every ally shooting at them will benefit from life steal (Healing shields first if possible)
  • Upon entering the AOE you will get a buff that fades over time (bonus like her 1st skill, but with half the effect and duration), this will also effect friendly npcs, specter and companions

Augments : Her 4th one would need something new and if the 4th skill gets a slow this would not be useful to get in the Augment for the 3rd Ability. But her 1st and 2nd one can stay the same.

I would like to have a Equinox who encurages switching within the mission, as I think this should be her theme, so some synergies would be nice. maybe add a cost reduction for her 1st Ability when you still have a buff from this skill.

For referenz ametueraspirants thread :

Spoiler

Equinox needs only one thing, keeping her third power active while switching form. At the moment she can switch form and keep her maim counter thanks to an augment mod but has to recast her aura, which pretty much impairs a full dual form gameplay.

And Equinox is definitely fun and unique while played this way.  If not, she's perfectly fine.

I agree that she needs some QoL improvements, as her age really does show through in the clunkiness of her gameplay, but I don't know if an entire overhaul is really that necessary. I think the solution to her 4 isn't the rework you suggested (especially since she's a relatively squishy frame whose mobility is important to her survivability) but honestly something more along the lines of baselining her augment that retains the buildup of her 4 between forms.

I get that "x augment should be baseline" is kind of an exhausted piece of feedback at this point for most frames, but honestly anything to smooth out the synergy between abilities and forms would go a long way. I mean, from a design standpoint, it seems like metamorphosis should be a more key part of her gameplay, and as it stands it seems like most people just choose day form unless they specifically want to build for night form.

34 minutes ago, Xepthrichros said:

Also, as said by another poster.

She's squishy. If she can't move fast and kill fast, she dead.

Like ember has become.

She’s a support frame. If you don’t like her day forms abilities then she has all the benefits of her night form.

also, not every frame is supposed to be able to tank the energy of an exploding star.

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301

1 hour ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

She’s a support frame. If you don’t like her day forms abilities then she has all the benefits of her night form.

also, not every frame is supposed to be able to tank the energy of an exploding star.

and thus if they cannot tank, they need to have things to kiill fast or mitigate damage.

you conveniently ignore her day is DPS, not support. probably because your agenda is to nerf the game to the point it is not fun.

54 minutes ago, Xepthrichros said:

and thus if they cannot tank, they need to have things to kiill fast or mitigate damage.

you conveniently ignore her day is DPS, not support. probably because your agenda is to nerf the game to the point it is not fun.

WTF are you even on about? Equinox is genuinely good where she is. And if you have a hard time believing she can still kill fast then bring her on an ESO run. 

9 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

WTF are you even on about? Equinox is genuinely good where she is. And if you have a hard time believing she can still kill fast then bring her on an ESO run. 

On to you? you just called her a support frame, implying you ignore her DPS. Of course she is good where she is. I am on to you because you want her weaker. 

EDIT: OH wait, actually ignore all that. You apparently can't read although we agree fully she is good, and decided to start a quarrel. I also can't read since I responded in kind. So whatever. Have a cookie.

Edited by Xepthrichros

5 minutes ago, Xepthrichros said:

On to you? you just called her a support frame, implying you ignore her DPS. Of course she is good where she is. I am on to you because you want her weaker. 

EDIT: OH wait, actually ignore all that. You apparently can't read although we agree fully she is good, and decided to start a quarrel. I also can't read since I responded in kind. So whatever. Have a cookie.

When did I ever say I wanted her nerfed?

youre delusional. You need to see a psychiatrist.

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301

8 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

She doesn’t need a rework.

This isn't really a useful reply.

One, saying nothing at all imparts just about identical information.

Two, not needing a rework =/= no room for polish. Equinox isn't the only one in that spot.

Three, necessity doesn't really tie to rework priorities or exclusions. Nezha, IIRC, was in a similar "not necessary but would be nice" situation.

Four, despite the title, I hesitate calling it a "rework" since only one ability is touched to a significant degree that could be called "reworked".

Five, she does "need" at least some tweaks to fit her intended design. Various facets of her kit, from cast times to dropped 4 charge to energy costs to lack of cross-form synergy, discourage transformation—what's meant to be her USP. It's akin to saying a fridge that cooks your food is fine because it still works as a stove: the point isn't that it works, it's that it's not doing what it really should be doing.

Don't get me wrong, even on that basis, she doesn't require a massive overhaul—in a run-on sentence: day 2 can be put pretty much on-par with night 2 by adding a rad proc, night 3 can get the same by giving allies added armour or flat DR, Energy Transfer can be made innate (and apply to 3 + Peaceful Provocation), night 4 can be an accelerating HoT on release, and 1 could be made faster and energy-free—but it's not like those blemishes don't exist or shouldn't be polished.

Mind the OP's proposed rework doesn't really address the design issues, it only seems to be an "anti-nuking" thread with a tiny QoL around night 3. I'm not a fan of "press-4-to-win" but there are priorities, like the sorts of things people have been saying Equinox should have ever since I started this game. Little point in me going on about that since my replies are in the thread the OP's pulling from.

I changed the title, as you are right that it is not really a rework. 

I would like to see a kit that encourages switching forms more often, but I think letting her 3 and 4 on when switching is not really the conclusion. Then you can also skip the changing completly and give her skills that do more at once.

vor 14 Stunden schrieb cakeoryx:

especially since she's a relatively squishy frame whose mobility is important to her survivability

My proposed change to her 4th Ability does not cut her Mobility. You dont need to stand in the AOE, but the enemies.

10 hours ago, Naneel said:

letting her 3 and 4 on when switching

I think you're misunderstanding. What some people have been asking for is for her 3 to change over to its respective form without having to spend time and energy re-casting. It's not that you activate night 3, then change forms, and now you have both night and day 3 active. It's just that it skips over the extra time and energy costs that tend to dissuade changing forms.