Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cancer Causing Plastics, Alcohol and Red/Processed Meats

cheliel

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/general-info/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens.html

Be wary of alcohol, this is not so widely known to cause cancer but here are 2 research org. posting it.

As for processed meats and red meats, this is previous info but few follow!

Also keep an eye on reusable plastics with number 1/7 on thier recycle sign. Safer to use other numbered plastics.

Well, I try to eat uncured meats, but I HAVE to eat beef (have Crohn's and B12 is a requirement due to malabsorption, and it's best via food sources. Beef is the most complete source of amino acids, too [long/medium/short chain]). One of the reasons I had strokes was due to undiagnosed Crohn's. My labs are low and I'm trying to not live on Ensure (or needing IV nutrition -- IV potassium, for example, HURTS!).

Be very careful then MagP, a quick scan of the article will show things in the OP

but THE top preventable cause is still SMOKING so limit/avoid! 

Chicken, Lamb and Fish are better options especially if unprocessed. 

Edited by cheliel

1 hour ago, cheliel said:

Be very careful then MagP, a quick scan of the article will show things in the OP

but THE top preventable cause is still SMOKING so limit/avoid! 

Chicken, Lamb and Fish are better options especially if unprocessed. 

I work at a slaughterhouse lol I get a lot of unprocessed red meats. 

7 minutes ago, UseNet said:

The Sun also causes cancer, should avoid it at all costs.

UV was noted by the article, and how extreme avoidance is just unrealistic

10am-3pm is the avoidance time, but generally getting sunshine is good for us.

Just now, cheliel said:

UV was noted by the article, and how extreme avoidance is just unrealistic

10am-3pm is the avoidance time, but generally getting sunshine is good for us.

You come over here to Australia during summer and say 'Sunshine is good for us'. 😄 The sun is Satan incarnate.

I mean...

What DOESN'T cause cancer? Aside from stuff like the sun, cosmic radiation is constantly present. Radon gas is found in most quarried stone which in turn shows up in most homes and cities, and that can cause Cancer. Even just being alive can lead to it through sheer random chance. Even then, not all cancer is created equal. Some cancers don't grow fast enough to kill you or just flat-out stop growing at all halfway through.

Of course, avoiding exposure to the main carcinogens is undoubtedly important, I won't deny that. I'm not touching a cigarette any time soon and this is just one more reason to throw on the pile to not drink alcohol - plus Lamb and Chicken are my favourite meats so that's a plus -  but living in fear of cancer could be just as harmful to your health - your mental health. Which can cause chronic stress that damages your immune system, ironically putting you at greater risk of cancer.

You'll do yourself no good living in fear of something that's ultimately just random chance - and something that we are making great strides in producing better and better cures. Because, contrary to the saying, there ARE cures for cancer. Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy do suit the definition of 'cure', although they're risky, not guaranteed and cause long-term damage regardless of success. That's why research remains important, to further refine and perfect less invasive treatments that have higher success rates.

If you're really scared about cancer, help fund cancer research to develop better treatments. We can't run from our bodies but we can make things better for those who suffer from it.

11 hours ago, cheliel said:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/general-info/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens.html

Be wary of alcohol, this is not so widely known to cause cancer but here are 2 research org. posting it.

Also keep an eye on reusable plastics with number 1/7 on thier recycle sign. Safer to use other numbered plastics.

Hmmmm I see nitrites and nitrates on that list. That means that we shouldn't eat vegetables either. 

Remember kids, veggies are the main source of dietary nitrates, and nitrates are known carcinogens. 

DON'T EAT VEGETABLES. THEY CAUSE CANCER. 

Now that we have that out of the way, I strongly advise not freaking out, chatting with your health care provider, and exercising moderation in your diet and lifestyle. 

Gonna have to eye roll at the avoiding sunshine at all cost (misleading) logic now being used with veggies 

This is a very serious disease, preventable if you take these items off your diet.

Data/production/consumption and therefore people are changing as we speak, with bpa-lining free water bottles being sold/used. Don’t get left out of the conversation by ignoring willfully the effects of smoking, alcohol, red meat and processed meats. 

Edited by cheliel

the processed/ red meat thing, while true, is widely blow out of proportion.

If you eat a LOT of processed/red meats your chances of getting bowl cancer go from about 0.08%(about 1 in 1250 people) to 0.9%.(1 in 1100people) and that's if you eat them like every day in excess. So avoiding red/processed meats to avoid cancer is just dumb imo since there are way better reasons to avoid them.

Edited by HerpDerpy

Nah, I will be fine. If you live in a developed city, the dirty air caused by cars and all sorts of other things are more likely to give you cancer than red meats and alcohol. TBH, you are more likely to get Cirrhosis from the Alchohol than cancer even if taken excessively. Modern vegetables grown with pesticides can be worse, because they probably have organophosphate insecticides that inhibit acetylcholinesterase. Wonder what else does that ... wait, sarin gas does it too. Organic doesn't help it either. You don't put antifungals on the plants you eat, they may develop all sorts of moulds that have aflatoxins, which may cause cancer. Or any meat, because of the weird hormone injections.

At this rate, if you are really so intent on avoiding cancer, you might as well just drink water and eat from an IV drip, really. This is coming from a guy who avoids the sun like the plague by using an umbrella on sunny days (and gets all his vitamin D from food). And of course, if you make yourself unhappy in the process, this leads to unnaturally high cortisol levels, faster aging, imbalance in neurotransmitters, depression, bla bla.

Since humans will always get sick anyway, you might as well just be happy.

Fun fact: you can avoid all of the stuff listed there, live an incredibly healthy life and you will still get cancer. Why? Because as abba said:

59 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

Live long enough, and you'll get cancer. Cell replication isn't perfect. Mutations occur all the time. So yeah, living causes cancer.

Live your life. You aren't getting out of it alive.

So just go live your life they way you want to, eat processed meats, drink alcohol (responsibly) and do whatever the hell you want.

I know warframe players know a thing or two about chances since we do relics

If we increase our chances for survival by decreasing the carcinogenic items posted in this topic, isn’t that just like doing a radiant share? 

We purposely increase chances in warframe, why not IRL 

17 hours ago, TheErebus. said:

Fun fact: you can avoid all of the stuff listed there, live an incredibly healthy life and you will still get cancer. Why? Because as abba said:

So just go live your life they way you want to, eat processed meats, drink alcohol (responsibly) and do whatever the hell you want.

Conversely you can do all the stuff OP listed and not get cancer at all. My grandfather smoked a pack of smokes a day, and one cigar every evening for his adult life, lived to ripe age of 97. Died of natural causes.

On 2018-12-11 at 11:51 PM, cheliel said:

The key word here is "probable". A lot of these studies don't take a lot of factors into consideration, like lifestyle, dietary composition, stress, genetics etc. Alcohol, processed meats and most plastics as carcinogens are pretty well documented. Red meat is not, however, as existing studies don't take a whole host of factors into account, like macronutrient distribution, food sources, lifestyle, ethnic dietary history and so on and so on.

Recent health issues have forced me to sink a lot of time and effort into endocrine, cardiovascular and dietary research and experimentation. As a result, I am not dying or in need of heavy medication at this point. However, the field is extremely complicated, and very few researchers have exhaustive and up to date knowledge of their field. So don't try to get the whole picture from one source, or 5, or 20. Don't rely on click-bait articles found all over the internet, but note down key words and look at what academia publishes on the subject.

One of my best sources, is a scientist called Dr. Rhonda Patrick. She is looking into diet and other factors in the development of cancer, inflamation and other ailments. Check her out.

Joe Rogan also has a lot of dieticians, endocrinologists and other medical experts, as well as bodyhackers and athletes on his podcast. Be aware of the broscience, though.