Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is Ember's role in Sortie or any high level mission?

XenMaster

A lot of people really miss the point with ember, and it's seen here. I'm seeing more answers for "What is World on Fire's role in sorties or high level missions." Because that's what most people saw her as. But I'll explain the real deal with ember and how she can be used.

Firstly, let's clear one thing

sortie =/= high levels.

Level 100 may be the highest we readily have available, but it is by no means high level. 4 years ago maybe, but nowadays, i can complete all sorties with only bullet jumps. These missions will not give you the difficulty needed to test your maximized setup. If you want to use ember in the missions most people do, then i must agree with the others, that there are better options than ember, BUT she can be used for the same things she can be used in high levels, which I'll lay out below.

In high levels, she is a superb damage dealer and buffer. Her first and second aug are fantastic team damage buffs, better than most others. The reason is in her 2nd ability. The stun is great, but the damage debuff is amazing. 2.5x damage is no joke, and consider the aug with it. Let's say you got 200% PS, reasonable for any build. That's 5x heat damage with +100% heat damage to your entire team. That's basically a +500% damage buff. Add on the 1st aug, and you got +1500% damage. This is more than chroma, who would need 500% power strength minimum to keep up, and isn't additive to base multipliers like serration or many auras. She also cab give blast and fire procs, great for Condition Overpo...overload. Also consider how grineer and infested are weak to fire damage. On top of this, you get increased cast speed, which will definitely make any harrow smile.

Another use for her 2nd is to make gas from toxin. While this applies to all weapon builds and types, melee builds are  the most notorious for competitive mod space. Melee had so many good mods amd only 8 slots to fill it. If you're looking for gas, then with ember,  you free up a mod space with flash accelerant. Most melee builds consist of Primed Pressure Point, Condition overloRd, drifting contact, beserker/primed fury, 2 elementals, organ shatter, and Blood rush. For gas, you need heat and toxin.  For a normalized build, it just about makes it, but Gas is superb with faction mods and weeping wounds would be great for status, and since gas scales on toxin mods, primed fever strike is amazing, but as you see, there's simply no room for all this. With ember, you can replace that heat mod and slide in one of the other mods you were looking for. Back in the day, when gas triple dipped in stealth multipliers (before it was double nerfed to be additive with crit damage [DE PLS FIX]), a gas ember was a dream to have on the team, yet so few used her for this. T'is a shame people don't know how to synergize.

With certain setups, she can outdps the likes of mesa, solo, and can do it for her team. She's far more powerful than people realize, and when used right, can make roast beef of any enemy, but unfortunately, the community does not get to see where this truth can be brought to light, as we don't have the means to readily fight the enemies strong enough to need this power. Unless you got a few hours to kill lol

I hope this clears some things up. 

14 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Octavia would like a word.

EDIT: That said, I’m not saying I’d like to have the old WoF back. Instead, I would rather that DE either finish the rework of Ember and replace WoF altogether with a more utility focused ult, or rework Heat damage in a way that puts Ember in a better place damage-wise.

Can Octavia spawn into a mission, hit 4 literally once, and then proceed to murder or cc everything in the tile set just by bullet jumping?

2 hours ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

A lot of people really miss the point with ember, and it's seen here. I'm seeing more answers for "What is World on Fire's role in sorties or high level missions." Because that's what most people saw her as. But I'll explain the real deal with ember and how she can be used.

Firstly, let's clear one thing

sortie =/= high levels.

Level 100 may be the highest we readily have available, but it is by no means high level. 4 years ago maybe, but nowadays, i can complete all sorties with only bullet jumps. These missions will not give you the difficulty needed to test your maximized setup. If you want to use ember in the missions most people do, then i must agree with the others, that there are better options than ember, BUT she can be used for the same things she can be used in high levels, which I'll lay out below.

In high levels, she is a superb damage dealer and buffer. Her first and second aug are fantastic team damage buffs, better than most others. The reason is in her 2nd ability. The stun is great, but the damage debuff is amazing. 2.5x damage is no joke, and consider the aug with it. Let's say you got 200% PS, reasonable for any build. That's 5x heat damage with +100% heat damage to your entire team. That's basically a +500% damage buff. Add on the 1st aug, and you got +1500% damage. This is more than chroma, who would need 500% power strength minimum to keep up, and isn't additive to base multipliers like serration or many auras. She also cab give blast and fire procs, great for Condition Overpo...overload. Also consider how grineer and infested are weak to fire damage. On top of this, you get increased cast speed, which will definitely make any harrow smile.

Another use for her 2nd is to make gas from toxin. While this applies to all weapon builds and types, melee builds are  the most notorious for competitive mod space. Melee had so many good mods amd only 8 slots to fill it. If you're looking for gas, then with ember,  you free up a mod space with flash accelerant. Most melee builds consist of Primed Pressure Point, Condition overloRd, drifting contact, beserker/primed fury, 2 elementals, organ shatter, and Blood rush. For gas, you need heat and toxin.  For a normalized build, it just about makes it, but Gas is superb with faction mods and weeping wounds would be great for status, and since gas scales on toxin mods, primed fever strike is amazing, but as you see, there's simply no room for all this. With ember, you can replace that heat mod and slide in one of the other mods you were looking for. Back in the day, when gas triple dipped in stealth multipliers (before it was double nerfed to be additive with crit damage [DE PLS FIX]), a gas ember was a dream to have on the team, yet so few used her for this. T'is a shame people don't know how to synergize.

With certain setups, she can outdps the likes of mesa, solo, and can do it for her team. She's far more powerful than people realize, and when used right, can make roast beef of any enemy, but unfortunately, the community does not get to see where this truth can be brought to light, as we don't have the means to readily fight the enemies strong enough to need this power. Unless you got a few hours to kill lol

I hope this clears some things up. 

Sounds fascinating but you need to know why people ain't using Ember for all this. First you need to understand people ain't stupid. There are reasons why Ember is underused as a buffer.

Fire damage is a weak damage in late game, because of armor. It doesn't bypass armor and suffer from high damage reduction. Infested are generally weak even in late game you don't specifically need fire damage to put them down. Besides CC is not that rare in Warframe, slash proc is a thing. There are abilities that will buff damage from all sources rather than only fire damage. To make good use of her damage buff you have to narrow down your spectrum of weapons. Most weapons in this game ain't fire based. Most fire based weapons can stand pretty well on their own without the help of Ember. The reverse however, isn't true. 

Accelerant doesn't buff damage of fire based combined element i.e. Blast, Gas, Radiation, which is ironic because your gas build synergy doesn't get the 5x buff from your Accelerant which is the most important buff ability to Ember in late game. Also all bonus heat damage from your augments combined with existing element to form combined elements - which means to make best use of this skill you and your teammate cannot have fire based combined element in their weapons. Or they must have pure fire damage in their weapon. Which is extremely situational given in this game you play in PUG 95% of the time. For the rest cases you will end up ruining people's build (e.g. I use corrosive+ice on my guns so I will be getting blast proc after your buff and they make headshots harder for me). Also as a damage buff, Accelerant works on enemies instead of your allies, and in contrast to MP, it's an instant ability, so to get best use of the buff you need to literally spam it or otherwise your team will not get any bonus damage on new mobs. It's simply inconvenient especially if you're fighting hordes of enemies.

Your opinion is overall reasonable but at the same time is pretty much the reasons why people just ditch Ember instead of trying to revive her. She relies on specific weapon builds to work. The weapons of choice are very limited. There are also better alternatives for low level missions. She just objectively speaking lacks efficiency in both low level and high level scenarios. She will work if you build everything specifically for the sake of it, but it's mostly on paper and players have better alternatives. It's simple.

Before the nerf, people use her for WoF coz it's quick in low level. But the real problem of Ember didn't surface UNTIL WoF got nerfed. The very inefficient synergy between fire damage and her abilities combined with her unreasonable abilities design are the root reason of her low pick rate. 

Edited by Marvelous_A
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

Can Octavia spawn into a mission, hit 4 literally once, and then proceed to murder or cc everything in the tile set just by bullet jumping?

Ember is useless after lvl 60. Octavia can do lvl 200 with nothing but her power.

And if you can clear the entire tile with ember, that tile could be cleared by saryn, banshee or volt with much less effort.

We're not talking about low level. Low level could be done with unmodded mag. We're talking about her power set and her instability towards higher level enemies with more armor or shield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

No, that’s true. However, when DE spoke about their reasoning for the range and efficiency reduction they tried to say it was for two reasons. One being to reduce her annoyance factor in low level exterminate and capture style missions, which was honest but resulted in a flawed execution which only partially achieved that objective at the cost of making WoF a less useful overall ability.

The second was that they wanted to reduce any tendency she had to encourage more static play in defence style missions, where you could just set her 4 and check out. That was wildly disingenuous given the other ‘frames which could literally be run for entire missions with a six step macro and which remain untouched.

16 minutes ago, Nocontents said:

Ember is useless after lvl 60. Octavia can do lvl 200 with nothing but her power.

And if you can clear the entire tile with ember, that tile could be cleared by saryn, banshee or volt with much less effort.

We're not talking about low level. Low level could be done with unmodded mag. We're talking about her power set and her instability towards higher level enemies with more armor or shield.

None of the other frames though, literally allow you to activate one ability one time and then just walk through the mission. Every frame you just mentioned requires some combination of more ability casts, more energy drain, or more management overall than pre nerf ember. You're comparing an apples to an orange.

5 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

No, that’s true. However, when DE spoke about their reasoning for the range and efficiency reduction they tried to say it was for two reasons. One being to reduce her annoyance factor in low level exterminate and capture style missions, which was honest but resulted in a flawed execution which only partially achieved that objective at the cost of making WoF a less useful overall ability.

The second was that they wanted to reduce any tendency she had to encourage more static play in defence style missions, where you could just set her 4 and check out. That was wildly disingenuous given the other ‘frames which could literally be run for entire missions with a six step macro and which remain untouched.

The first objective was "partially achieved" because they didnt want to kill it completely just bring it down a notch. I dont see a problem.

As for your second point, that's not really a point. Aside from the fact that consoles cant even do macros a 6 step macro (and almost certainly higher energy cost) is certainly less "afk style" than just activate 4 one time and leave.

1 minute ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

None of the other frames though, literally allow you to activate one ability one time and then just walk through the mission. Every frame you just mentioned requires some combination of more ability casts, more energy drain, or more management overall than pre nerf ember. You're comparing an apples to an orange.

It's easy, just mod them with range and power. Cast out efficiency and you've got the nuking frames.

With Saryn, press 4 and you'd clear out the room

With Volt, press 4 and you'd clear out the room.

And Specially for Octavia, You'd need to 1,3,4 and crouch. And you'll get 50 seconds of freedom to play

Wow, super hard!

And also Nyx could just walk around with her augment mod.

This could go on and on. What you're saying is pretty irrelevant because there are so many other cases out there.

Why does Ember needs to be nerfed when others aren't? She isn't that good and now she's just worthless.

I don't like Ember. Her concept, her skill set, her mod requirements are tiresome and boring.

But that doesn't mean she can be swept away like Zephyr or Wukong.

36 minutes ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

The first objective was "partially achieved" because they didnt want to kill it completely just bring it down a notch. I dont see a problem.

As for your second point, that's not really a point. Aside from the fact that consoles cant even do macros a 6 step macro (and almost certainly higher energy cost) is certainly less "afk style" than just activate 4 one time and leave.

The first objective is flawed, because the end result is that Ember can still do that by bullet jumping through low levels and tapping 4 on and off once in each tile. They simply made it less efficient to do that particular tactic, at the cost of crippling WoF, which in my opinion now really only works as a close ranged panic button for giving you a couple of seconds breathing room if you get surrounded. And actually, that’s a job done better by her 2 and 3. 

Like I said, I’m not asking for old WoF back, I’d like DE to bite the bullet and acknowledge that World On Fire just isn’t an ability they really want to have in the game. Instead of removing and reworking it altogether, they gave it a kneejerk nerf which left it in place but made it literally less useful than most other 4 powers in the game.

Caveat: When I think about balance for these things, I’m generally thinking of Sortie II as a good baseline. If an ability is useful at Sortie II level, that’s good.

Regarding Octavia, it’s the combination of 

- scaling area damage

- area CC

- massive damage buffs

invisibility 

- and her ability suite can be activated all at once and then just left to run on its own for up to fifty seconds.

You can just stand on the objective, push four buttons, crouch, and then get up from your computer and go make tea.

EDIT: It occurs to me that the major difference here is in how we’re describing the change to WoF.

You say that it was necessary. I say that it was dumb. I’m not actually disagreeing with you on the necessity of it, it’s that the solution was a dumb half measure where what they needed to do was remove the ability altogether and replace it with something which fits better into how they want the game to work.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

None of the other frames though, literally allow you to activate one ability one time and then just walk through the mission

39 minutes ago, Nocontents said:

Cast out efficiency and you've got the nuking frames.

Reading isnt that hard.

"No other frame can do 50 once for 5 minutes" "but these other frames can do 100 30 times"

3 hours ago, Medeucea said:

Reading isnt that hard.

"No other frame can do 50 once for 5 minutes" "but these other frames can do 100 30 times"

And your reading skills are on par with me.

on lower level, any other frames can do 50 with just one 4 or two or three 2,3.

on higher level, ember do 5 once in 5 minutes while others do 100 by pressing four keys.

If you think WoF really do much in higher level, you're deluding yourself.

• Like 2

lol, the amount of folks that underestimate Ember is is beyond me.  I admit Ember could use some slight QOL changes to maybe her passive and 3rd ability but, everything else is godly. Because Ember isn't a press 1 button and everything dies she is bad to a lot of players

CC, damage, buffs, Ember is crazy my dude! Anyone that knows me with Ember will tell you the same thing. Anyways, to the original poster, best advice i can give right now is to try to make builds focused on a specific purpose. She is one of those frames that you don't try to build for everything at once in high level missions or you will just be nerfing yourself. 

-ShinTechG

More and more egocentric players are playing this amazing game in Solo and if their are in squad they want to deal highest Dmg in mission absolutely overlooking the fact that the magic of WF is in synergy, not only between Frames and rest of Arsenal but also between Frames. Unfortunately recruiting is mainly about Radshare and decent amount of players are running dumb trendy Tri Umbral combo with Steel Charge.

5 hours ago, Nocontents said:

It's easy, just mod them with range and power. Cast out efficiency and you've got the nuking frames.

With Saryn, press 4 and you'd clear out the room

With Volt, press 4 and you'd clear out the room.

And Specially for Octavia, You'd need to 1,3,4 and crouch. And you'll get 50 seconds of freedom to play

Wow, super hard!

And also Nyx could just walk around with her augment mod.

This could go on and on. What you're saying is pretty irrelevant because there are so many other cases out there.

Why does Ember needs to be nerfed when others aren't? She isn't that good and now she's just worthless.

I don't like Ember. Her concept, her skill set, her mod requirements are tiresome and boring.

But that doesn't mean she can be swept away like Zephyr or Wukong.

You're comparing oranges to an apple. The "nuking frames" you just mentioned can be pretty cheesy, sure, but none of those examples are equivalent because none of those abilities are able to just be turned on, left on, and then just forgotten about until you extract like ember's 4 used to be And when we get to high power strength dedicated nuke builds, at that point you have to deal with other things like higher energy cost and the fact that your build is probably less versatile at that point. But again, DE doesnt seem to think "cheese" is the enemy as much as they think "excessive afk style cheese" is a problem.

5 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

The first objective is flawed, because the end result is that Ember can still do that by bullet jumping through low levels and tapping 4 on and off once in each tile. They simply made it less efficient to do that particular tactic, at the cost of crippling WoF, which in my opinion now really only works as a close ranged panic button for giving you a couple of seconds breathing room if you get surrounded. And actually, that’s a job done better by her 2 and 3. 

Like I said, I’m not asking for old WoF back, I’d like DE to bite the bullet and acknowledge that World On Fire just isn’t an ability they really want to have in the game. Instead of removing and reworking it altogether, they gave it a kneejerk nerf which left it in place but made it literally less useful than most other 4 powers in the game.

Caveat: When I think about balance for these things, I’m generally thinking of Sortie II as a good baseline. If an ability is useful at Sortie II level, that’s good.

Regarding Octavia, it’s the combination of 

- scaling area damage

- area CC

- massive damage buffs

invisibility 

- and her ability suite can be activated all at once and then just left to run on its own for up to fifty seconds.

You can just stand on the objective, push four buttons, crouch, and then get up from your computer and go make tea.

EDIT: It occurs to me that the major difference here is in how we’re describing the change to WoF.

You say that it was necessary. I say that it was dumb. I’m not actually disagreeing with you on the necessity of it, it’s that the solution was a dumb half measure where what they needed to do was remove the ability altogether and replace it with something which fits better into how they want the game to work.

I'll make this relatively short. It seems we dont disagree on the overall issue, then. I was literally about to type "they would almost be better off with a new kit" for ember until I saw the last part of your reply. From what i have seen, DE is okay, or at least relatively okay with various frames being, shall we say, "simple". But they seem to not like it when things get TOO simple. I think Octavia is probably excessively good at least with her scaling mallet damage working the way it does but even then, that usually involves the player using mallet, using the roller ball if they're on the move (and the bb8 ai sucks), and using her 3 to t bag themselves into staying invisible so they dont get melted. As simple as that is, at least it's not just one button press. And I dont play on PC so I'm just gonna sidestep the macro issue.

15 hours ago, Marvelous_A said:

Sounds fascinating but you need to know why people ain't using Ember for all this. First you need to understand people ain't stupid. There are reasons why Ember is underused as a buffer.

Fire damage is a weak damage in late game, because of armor. It doesn't bypass armor and suffer from high damage reduction. Infested are generally weak even in late game you don't specifically need fire damage to put them down. Besides CC is not that rare in Warframe, slash proc is a thing. There are abilities that will buff damage from all sources rather than only fire damage. To make good use of her damage buff you have to narrow down your spectrum of weapons. Most weapons in this game ain't fire based. Most fire based weapons can stand pretty well on their own without the help of Ember. The reverse however, isn't true. 

Accelerant doesn't buff damage of fire based combined element i.e. Blast, Gas, Radiation, which is ironic because your gas build synergy doesn't get the 5x buff from your Accelerant which is the most important buff ability to Ember in late game. Also all bonus heat damage from your augments combined with existing element to form combined elements - which means to make best use of this skill you and your teammate cannot have fire based combined element in their weapons. Or they must have pure fire damage in their weapon. Which is extremely situational given in this game you play in PUG 95% of the time. For the rest cases you will end up ruining people's build (e.g. I use corrosive+ice on my guns so I will be getting blast proc after your buff and they make headshots harder for me). Also as a damage buff, Accelerant works on enemies instead of your allies, and in contrast to MP, it's an instant ability, so to get best use of the buff you need to literally spam it or otherwise your team will not get any bonus damage on new mobs. It's simply inconvenient especially if you're fighting hordes of enemies.

Your opinion is overall reasonable but at the same time is pretty much the reasons why people just ditch Ember instead of trying to revive her. She relies on specific weapon builds to work. The weapons of choice are very limited. There are also better alternatives for low level missions. She just objectively speaking lacks efficiency in both low level and high level scenarios. She will work if you build everything specifically for the sake of it, but it's mostly on paper and players have better alternatives. It's simple.

Before the nerf, people use her for WoF coz it's quick in low level. But the real problem of Ember didn't surface UNTIL WoF got nerfed. The very inefficient synergy between fire damage and her abilities combined with her unreasonable abilities design are the root reason of her low pick rate. 

While true, i don't think it takes away from the facts presented. Flash accelerant giving gas is a different buff from the base ability and a neat alternative to normal gameplay that has proven viable many times over, but mainly it's something, and the potential is more than what you see on paper. Make no mistake, paper calculations can encompass the realistics of the game, if you can apply the stats to the situation and not a vacuum unrealistic situation, which i see all too often. The term paper dps had been watered down and merged with trivia, which is a shame. The paper should be no different than the actual. Any other result is either incomplete or trivia.

For example, heat damage sucks against armor, until you bring in pox, embolist, or other a armour strip weapons, all of which are used anyways in high levels. Saying heat is bad because of how it fairs against armor is just as bad as saying how anything sucks against armor other than armor ignore. You never go into a high level mission without a means to armor strip or ignore armor, so you must take that into consideration, and you can have corrosive with heat, so nothing is interrupted.

As i said before, for the content most people do, Ember is not needed and is very specific, but when it comes to actual high levels, specifics rule the day, and everybody has their own specific preference. I'm showing you ember's.

On the matter of community competency, i have been severely disappointed many times, so while the community may not be stupid, they have shown to be uneducated and too prideful to admit so, which i intend to help in the matter. I'm sure many have not considered the options i laid out, which I'm happy to show them. If some people don't like it, then they must have no need for it, thus my suggestions shouldn't abrade them, and doesn't concern them. It concerns only those looking for what my suggestions open them up to. 43 million dps! Who needs that?! Not most, but for those that do need it, this is how, and it shows how ember can surpass the other frames.

Remember this line though.

21 hours ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

• Like 1

They removed ember from sorties with a mega nerf, deal with it.   Also lighten up, lol  the nerf had the opposite affect from what they intended....that can happen when they don't play the frame 😛  

ATM frame is for crushing the heck out of  low level missions, they nerfed her becuase she was good at crushing lo level missions....DE has a great game but since they not play it, they tend to do a few silly things...LOL

3 hours ago, Kyronz said:

DE has a great game but since they not play it,

Hasn't this been disproved enough already?  There are just too many videos and streams of DE employees playing the game.  Even DE employees who help make decisions.  There is a difference between playing the game and constantly playing the game because you don't have something else to keep you from doing so.  Don't confuse this for not playing the game at all.  It's just erroneous with all the data we have access to prove otherwise.  :clem: 

27 minutes ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

To die and be constantly picked up by teammates..

Funny you should mention that.  I played Ember quite a bit today after reading this topic, and ended up picking up others who died quite a bit.  All this while experimenting with a new build.  Hmmmmm. 

Edited by DatDarkOne

1 minute ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

Not the experience I have when playing online. Every ember I meet is down constantly or dead when it comes to arbitrations..

Edit: heck, they die even on hydron..

I have that same experience every time I meet a Loki in any mission. They're always down constantly.   😄  

On 2018-12-14 at 11:05 AM, Nocontents said:

And your reading skills are on par with me.

on lower level, any other frames can do 50 with just one 4 or two or three 2,3.

on higher level, ember do 5 once in 5 minutes while others do 100 by pressing four keys.

If you think WoF really do much in higher level, you're deluding yourself.

No the hell its not. Youre adding IRRELEVANT information. And you still DO NOT understand the entire point he made

The original post you replied to doesnt even consider damage. HE only says that ember can press one button and walk through an entire level, Its you that went onto saying "Well can saryn can press 4 dozens of times to clear a level"

No one is saying Ember can clear a level by pressing a button once. We are saying Ember can press a button once and only once. If you still cant understand that then, damn!

Edited by Medeucea

23 minutes ago, Medeucea said:

No one is saying Ember can clear a level by pressing a button once. We are saying Ember can press a button once and only once. If you still cant understand that then, damn!

Partially incorrect. In case of short duration missions, yes it's true. Keep in mind that ember now is way more energy intensive than before thanks to change to WoF (for people who only used her 4 as you say). Unless you have a full arcane energize and are lucky enough to get energy orb every so often you won't be able to keep her 4 on forever anyway

Besides, the point is that ember can still press 4 and trivialize low level missions? Blame DE Tenno, hate the game not the player. They are the one who made the fustercluck in the first place, now players are complaining about something that didn't fix the problem and are raging like ferrets closed in a cage for too long. Ember will stay the way she is until the power creep gap between her and the other frames gets so wide she will be the next titania and even then don't expect much unless someone at DE wants to take charge about an actual rework

• Like 1

This frame seems divide to people pretty easily.

And even those who support and defend the frame admit to the very clear flaws she has.

Which begs the question.. it has been a year like this, is DE even going to acknowledge Ember needs another pass?

Edited by SinfulSpaceGoat