Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Installing warframe: How many GBs does it download?

RS219

Question

18 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, RS219 said:

Just asking on behalf of a friend and potential new player I'm trying to get into the game, but only has a monthly bandwidth of 5gb/month.

I wrapped up my client for a friend earlier this week and it came in at ~28GB but I don't know if uncompressed files are downloaded or whether the downloaded ones are unpacked locally.

What you can do is copy your WF folder and give it to your friend as I did this week after Steam basically deleted everything and started from scratch part-way through a download and he very nearly gave up. Locate Warframe.x64.exe and go up a couple of folders until you find the EE.log and the Downloads folder. Copy all of that to c:\Warframe (or similar) on your friend's PC, then run the regular installer and point it at c:\Warframe\. The launcher will see the data is there already and just verify it so you don't have to download the lot :thumbup:

43 minutes ago, Shalath said:

I wrapped up my client for a friend earlier this week and it came in at ~28GB but I don't know if uncompressed files are downloaded or whether the downloaded ones are unpacked locally.

What you can do is copy your WF folder and give it to your friend as I did this week after Steam basically deleted everything and started from scratch part-way through a download and he very nearly gave up. Locate Warframe.x64.exe and go up a couple of folders until you find the EE.log and the Downloads folder. Copy all of that to c:\Warframe (or similar) on your friend's PC, then run the regular installer and point it at c:\Warframe\. The launcher will see the data is there already and just verify it so you don't have to download the lot :thumbup:

You mean copy and mail it halfway across the world? Given that my friend's steam will probably do the same thing (redownload EVERYTHING from scratch) it's probably not going to be feasible.

1 hour ago, RS219 said:

You mean copy and mail it halfway across the world? Given that my friend's steam will probably do the same thing (redownload EVERYTHING from scratch) it's probably not going to be feasible.

Drop a USB stick in the mail, problem solved

11 hours ago, RS219 said:

Just asking on behalf of a friend and potential new player I'm trying to get into the game, but only has a monthly bandwidth of 5gb/month.

Can't play MMO style games on 5GB. The assets alone, even compressed, will take 3x that bandwidth to download and run -- as the game would have periodic updates, too.

On Steam the game is 29GB installed.

Your friend will need a Terabyte bandwidth connection to download the newest games. As I see with Warframe some of the hotfixes and such are 3MB each. Large updates will eat GBs of his data.

6 hours ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

Can't play MMO style games on 5GB. The assets alone, even compressed, will take 3x that bandwidth to download and run -- as the game would have periodic updates, too.

On Steam the game is 29GB installed.

Your friend will need a Terabyte bandwidth connection to download the newest games. As I see with Warframe some of the hotfixes and such are 3MB each. Large updates will eat GBs of his data.

This just feels so weird to read given that he has previously downloaded and played WoW. I'll see if I need to send him cash to temporarily kick up his internet to unlimited or however many gigs for a month or something.

16 hours ago, RS219 said:

This just feels so weird to read given that he has previously downloaded and played WoW. I'll see if I need to send him cash to temporarily kick up his internet to unlimited or however many gigs for a month or something.

WoW's data folder uncompressed is 60.1 GB (and not including the 8.1 patch) or other folders like Addons, which can add a few more GBs. Will need a terabyte SSD drive to play these MMOs!

Compressed for download the base game and expansions (no patches nor hotfixes) upto BfA is around a 28GB download.  WoW will take 120GB of SSD space in a couple more expansions.

Already had Comcast send notices of exceeding 1TB of data. So need more like 5 TB of bandwidth if you include smartphone WiFi traffic.

Edited by Kevyne_Kicklighter

4 hours ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

WoW's data folder uncompressed is 60.1 GB (and not including the 8.1 patch) or other folders like Addons, which can add a few more GBs. Will need a terabyte SSD drive to play these MMOs!

Compressed for download the base game and expansions (no patches nor hotfixes) upto BfA is around a 28GB download.  WoW will take 120GB of SSD space in a couple more expansions.

Already had Comcast send notices of exceeding 1TB of data. So need more like 5 TB of bandwidth if you include smartphone WiFi traffic.

Yeesh. Glad he stopped playing it.

Also just for correction, it's actually a limit of 5gb/day, not a month. That's far better, though it still sucks that it'll take him roughly a week to download the game.

19 minutes ago, RS219 said:

Yeesh. Glad he stopped playing it.

Also just for correction, it's actually a limit of 5gb/day, not a month. That's far better, though it still sucks that it'll take him roughly a week to download the game.

Can't even download Warframe compressed at 5GB/day (those nice pretty textures are the bulk of the file sizes, and they can't be compressed well). One disconnect........... Hope these games have good error correction and not needing to redownload the ENTIRE game again (Steam will do that with certain games, too. All that forced updates add up both on bandwidth AND disk space. SSD drives don't have much space like the older HDD. Terabyte SSDs or Raid 0 2x512GB setups are still price prohibitive).

What studios need to do is sell flash drives filled with their games. 32 or 64GB sticks are cheap and folks can at least have the base game anytime they have to reinstall the game; or an OS. Then use their bandwidth for the updates/patches/hotfixes.

8 hours ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

Can't even download Warframe compressed at 5GB/day (those nice pretty textures are the bulk of the file sizes, and they can't be compressed well). One disconnect........... Hope these games have good error correction and not needing to redownload the ENTIRE game again (Steam will do that with certain games, too. All that forced updates add up both on bandwidth AND disk space. SSD drives don't have much space like the older HDD. Terabyte SSDs or Raid 0 2x512GB setups are still price prohibitive).

What studios need to do is sell flash drives filled with their games. 32 or 64GB sticks are cheap and folks can at least have the base game anytime they have to reinstall the game; or an OS. Then use their bandwidth for the updates/patches/hotfixes.

Are you sure? I've interrupted the game before mid-download and it picked up again just fine.

On 2018-12-12 at 4:24 PM, RS219 said:

Just asking on behalf of a friend and potential new player I'm trying to get into the game, but only has a monthly bandwidth of 5gb/month day.

5 GB a day is fine...the main issue is the initial download...playing and updates your friend will be just fine. I have friends who have a capped connection as well...when they do an initial game download they either buy a bit of extra cap for that month or they take their pc to a family member with an uncapped connection and download it there. 

7 minutes ago, RS219 said:

Are you sure? I've interrupted the game before mid-download and it picked up again just fine.

IF the download source offers it AND has good error correction (because extended downloads leads to dropping packets and file corruption). IF the company only uses ONE distribution method (one fat compressed file, and not offer file integrity checking, that just downloads the file that is corrupted), they will have to download the ENTIRE game again if A file is corrupted.

WHY extended downloads is a crap shoot. It's fraught with errors and redownloads.

6 minutes ago, -AxHx-Vile said:

5 GB a day is fine..

Nope. ONE HD video for 2hrs is a tad over 4GB in itself. You can't do much reading and just watch ONE movie a night on 5GB of bandwidth a day. IF you have 4k monitors/TVs not even 5GB of data would get you half a movie.

I have a 4k smartphone camera. It won't even allow you to record in 4k unless you stick at least a 256GB memory card in. 4k videos take 4GB/min to record ... a MINUTE. Why there's a 10 minute limit in recording in 4k video on a smartphone, too. You have to break it into segments to record a longer video.

1 hour ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

Nope. ONE HD video for 2hrs is a tad over 4GB in itself. You can't do much reading and just watch ONE movie a night on 5GB of bandwidth a day. IF you have 4k monitors/TVs not even 5GB of data would get you half a movie.

If you have a capped connection and you're (frequently) watching HD or even 4K vids, you're not very smart.
Now again, if we're talking about playing games, 5 GB a day is fine.

15 hours ago, Kevyne_Kicklighter said:

Lol...Blizzard recommends 70 GB (SSD) for WoW... ( https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/76459 ) ...you can install multiple MMO's or whatever kind of games and reach far from a terabyte (1000 GB). Not needed at all.

Edited by -AxHx-Vile

Hey,

5GB/day is fine.

Sure, to download it initially that's like 3 days, that sucks but playing should even work on a capped connection. And playing will surely work on the uncapped connection just fine.
A bit of bandwidth management would be required, but your friend should know, if he's buying a 5GB/day connection, his internet access is limited...

Streaming a 4k Video (we talking the 50GB+ things) ofc wont be possible with 5GB/day. So if your friend doesn't know that, it may be helpful, but gaming should be fine.

One thing is certain: you dont need a "TB bandwidth" (that sounds like 1TB/s, which noone should have at home).

As for him getting the WF without an initial install, physical access should be available or the will to mail stuff on a Flash Stick or so, but this could be helpful for that:
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Rxl-noir/Methods_For_Backup,_Restoring_And_Converting_Warframe_(Steam_And_Standalone_Version)

Years ago I've been plaing WF on a 386Kbit/s connection.
Today that's lagging badly, but back then it was fine.
Though i am sure that the limited bandwidth of you friend will be at 1Mbit at least

i would expect an initial download of 18GB btw, its 28GB on my hard drive.

Edited by -AxHx-MDeero