Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why is the UI so mouse centric, when such a large part of the playerbase uses controllers?

(NSW)Kaffeebohnson

Recently DE unified console and PC interfaces to cut down on development time. While I commend optimization, the cursor based UI frankly kinda sucks when using a controller.

Unlike games like Destiny, where the pointer was planned from the start, Warframes UI currently feels slow and cumbersome. At least you have some D-Pad support, but it is often unreliable and unclear where you'll end up.

I am not categorically against a pointer based UI, but I wish to see a bit of iteration and optimization for controller. 

I think i remember DE_Steve saying that at least 30% of PC players use controllers, which seems high, but add to that the significant amount of Console players, you should *at least* arrive at a 50/50 split between mouse and controller users, right? I think controllers could get some love.

(They actually did, I remember Warframe finally getting full controller support (getting rid of Steam Big Picture Mode) on PC, only to be replaced by the pointer UI just a few months later, and now it is cumbersome again)

Edited by (NSW)Kaffeebohnson

23 minutes ago, (NSW)Kaffeebohnson said:

Unlike games like Destiny,

Because Destiny is a consoles game. The first one was consoles only. And Destiny 2 uses the same engine and UI from the first game. Warframe was made for PC first. And still is primarily a PC game. While Destiny is, primarily, a consoles game.

7 hours ago, -SDM-NerevarCM said:

Because Destiny is a consoles game. The first one was consoles only. And Destiny 2 uses the same engine and UI from the first game.

This is somewhat irrelevant. Destiny always had a cursor-controlled interface. As OP says, the pointer was planned from the start. On top of that, when it was ported to PC for the second game, the way the cursor works was completely changed for mouse users, instead of having the same cursor movement for both PC and console.

It is a unified interface for both platforms, similar to what DE has attempted to do. The comparison is accurate.

Wasn't there a big push to overhaul the UI some months ago? Where they decided to drop the amazing diegetic interface and replace it with full screen menus? It feels like they got done with two or three screens (login, inventory), but like so often, got sidetracked by new content.

While their intentions were good, now the UI feels even more incoherent, and the cursor feels like a first iteration, works - ship it. Given how much time in Warframe you tend to spend in menus, I think UI polish should get bumped up a notch or two in priority.

And I hope the assigned developer(s) use a controller to ensure it feels good.

Edited by (NSW)Kaffeebohnson

17 hours ago, (NSW)Kaffeebohnson said:

It feels like they got done with two or three screens (login, inventory), but like so often, got sidetracked by new content.

They made it clear from the start that they would be rolling it out over time. They're definitely doing that.

17 hours ago, (NSW)Kaffeebohnson said:

And I hope the assigned developer(s) use a controller to ensure it feels good.

That's not enough. Some of the devs were using it in production and thought it felt good. That's why player feedback is so important. It's not enough for them to TRY to get it perfect in-house, because it takes the feedback of thousands of people to get it to its full potential.

Edited by AdunSaveMe