What weapons to use Primed Shred on?

RyanGo

Question

Before today I was really excited to get primed vigor for day 400 but I totally forgot that now we can CHOOSE between mods and in my panic I selected primed shred instead because everyone was suggesting it.

Now, instead of being able to equip primed vigor on Zephyr, Mirage, Loki, Excal, Vauban, Limbo, and Banshee, I'm struggling to find weapons I even want to use Primed shred on (I already have a fire rate riven for dread).

Someone, please convince me for the sake of my sanity over the next 200 days that this wasn't a mistake. By that I mean don't try to convince me that primed vigor is an extremely questionable desire, just which weapons Primed Shred is good on.

15 answers to this question

(Just FYI, I have both and use Primed Vigor on exactly 0 Frames,
Health and its variety of ways to restore it / get buffed trump some additional Shields.)

Primed Shred is a significant DPS boost, worth it for plenty of guns.
Not least on good ol' Amprex, which is no longer a complete ammo hose so it can take the +Fire Rate,
while +Punch Through lets you create multiple chains from the beam hitting multiple enemies at once.

It's also nifty for projectile weapons in combination with Magnetize, of course (yay Panthera).

Body-shot weapons like Ignis, Supra, Hema and Paracyst. Weapons that don't make good use of x4 head-crit multiplier.

I use Primed Vigor about as much as I use Primed Shred but none of those frames you mentioned I run P. Vigor. It's a mod for Mesa, Trinity, Nekros, Inaros and Gara. Excal could make decent use of it but he doesn't really have room. You pretty much never want to use Primed Vigor on it's own.

56 minutes ago, Makunogo said:

what do you guys omit to fit in the primed shred?

Depends on the gun, but usually it'd be an extra elemental. 

My fundamental build for any autotrigger gun is Serration, Split Chamber, and Primed Shred. If it is a crit gun (most are these days), then it gets Vital Sense and Point Strike. That's five out of eight. Two will probably be 60/60 elementals, unless the thing is hopeless for a status build. If so,  then they'll be Primed Cryo and the 90% toxin. Last one will be either Hunter's Munitions (70%+ crit rate) or Vigilante Armaments (anything less than 70%). If viral damage is contraindicated, then it's two 90/90 mods. 

Obviously, this can vary quite a bit depending on circumstance and the gun, but that's where I usually start. 

Lastly, I don't find punch-through particularly advantageous in the open world areas. You rarely get the chance to hose down a tightly packed group of enemies. There I'd add either another elemental or more multishot in place of Primed Shred.

Primed Vigor isn't bad concept, Great idea. I wanted to like it also RyanGo! Just got my 200 today and was searching opinions to help form my own better.

Here's my opinion on the choices.

-Primed Fury: Attack speed (already a mod called berserker) so many easy ways to boost crit (Slide for 100% crit mod, Kavat, arcanes, even 10% weapon crit is enough since so many targets to hit).  Anymore attack speed then berserker level makes combos harder(I never cared for them), BUT I do care about wasted damage. Unlike some guns you can't hold the button to maximize your attack rate, If you attack at .33 that means you "HAVE" to slam the attack button 3.01 times a sec otherwise there is wasted attack speed. Basically why get carpal tunnel when you can get a damage mod in there for basically same payout. 

Note: Secret, Keyboard macroing can help and make this fun, so you can hold a button instead. Saw a clown moving like like a blur of weapon strikes on Valkyrie. Awesome Funny and kudos to that guy, Warframe is about entertainment so this mod has it's values. Kinda wanted to do this also. (Can still scrap it to a Helios sentinel when not in use by your frame)

-Primed Vigor: should of been implemented as 300% bonus to both shield and health for a total of 600%. If we got a primed Vitality or redirection you'd think it would be around 600%. So yea it's made terrible by bad calculations and math implementation not concept. The % of primed vigor = total % of a BRONZE level mod. It needed fixed a long time ago. Nope never got fixed

-Shred: Punch through and perfect amount of attack speed. Unlike melee you can hold down attack to maximize on most assault rifles. BUT they have a bad thing when you stack with attack speed you use ammo faster and come to needing to reload sooner, (Stat wise each extra AS mod value goes down exponentially due to this issue, have a much larger % of time reloading(doing nothing) then someone who stacked damage--So with so many AS mods why Shred then? It does TWO things). Giving more mod options. Also if you want to use a different primary it's still good for your sentinel. Yes you can use it on your Sentinel. Hope that helps mate!

I know you wanted weapon choices but on any hold to kill assault rifle it will be a boon for weapon. Throw in some more punch through if you can group enemies easily and don't need the overkill damage. Nidus, khora, etc. That's when puncture get's really good (2 enemies hit is double total damage for that shot and so on).

Summary your choice was great! You should be mad that you didn't think about making an entertaining fury of strikes clown build with Primed Fury :P. I'm having trouble deciding from entertaining others to picking the generically better choice. Why life gotta be so tuff.

Edited by LetterM
  • Like 1

Something that I think the others forget to mention is that Primed Shred damages your weapon’s ammo economy. This is important to know if you plan on doing long endless missions. So a general rule of thumb is to never equip Primed shred on ammo hungry weapons and you’ll be fine. On the other hand, its not that bad for majority of the other weapons and if it is just use Carrier.

Edited by (PS4)KyleXY12345