Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

@DE: Model Swaps for Entire Warframe Bodies?

Mikhael222

I had this really great concept art going for Octavia, and as I was going over ways to accomplish it, I realized that you guys don't really do model-swaps for entire Warframe bodies for Tennogen (I'm still new to the Tennogen process, so I didn't know).  You allow the model swaps for the primes and the deluxe skins, but not for Tennogen submissions?  May I ask why not?

The skin idea I had for Octavia is unable to be properly applied to the original mesh.  I was hoping that I'd be able to tweak the mesh a bit to get the design right.  Naturally, I would have stayed within the polygon limit.  My disappointment level was over 9,000 when I saw that I would not be able to submit my idea.  I had another idea for Harrow that still hasn't reached the concept art stage, but it would have needed adjustments to the mesh as well.

So in all of this, I just wanted to ask DE if they would ever allow Tennogen model swaps for entire Warframe bodies in the future, as I feel that it would open up many creative possibilities.

Edited by Mikhael222

Because replacing the textures on an already existing model is a million times easier than rigging an entirely new body mesh. Also, prime frames are generally just the base model with extra accessories attached to it. That being said, I wish it were possible too.

10 hours ago, Mikhael222 said:

So in all of this, I just wanted to ask DE if they would ever allow Tennogen model swaps for entire Warframe bodies in the future, as I feel that it would open up many creative possibilities.

As far as I know, so long as the underbody of the frame is similar/almost identical you should be alright with a near Model change. Download the Tennogen files for your octavia and take a look, do some sketch overs and pre-3d modelling to show the idea and see if its feasible within the limits of the model/weighted vertices so they don't have to perform a full animation tweaking.

https://www.warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/index.php?page=model-swap-guide

Edited by Deathwing980

3 hours ago, -L1me- said:

Because replacing the textures on an already existing model is a million times easier than rigging an entirely new body mesh

Hmmm I'm not sure how their software works.  I thought it would be as simple as placing the new mesh on the original rigging.

1 hour ago, Mikhael222 said:

Hmmm I'm not sure how their software works.  I thought it would be as simple as placing the new mesh on the original rigging.

Textures yes but mesh is much more than that. If the texture is wildly different, it requires a new skeleton entirely and coding new parameters that fit the original model whil+e keeping the skin mesh integrated. Unlike with Deluxe skins where DE gets all or some of the profit (some if they use contractors), with Tennogen they get roughly 30% of the revenue. If your art requires new meshes then it is unlikely because the skeleton and code is expensive and I don't think DE would invest in that with Tennogen items in general. However the need for a new mesh is entirely dependent on how wildly different the model is.

Edited by BETAOPTICS

Yea DE we all want this in the game. I know that reason we don't is because armor attachments need to fix for all different body shape and you dont have time for all that. But what if you can choose just 3 skins that they have different models like some new deluxe but its tennogen and its not 7$ but its 25$ for that tennogen skins that have different model shape design skins... then I don't see why not. 🤔😊😏

It's more because implementing an entire new model (fixes, changes, correction etc as well) is a way more complex job that should be handled by an art director and a couple of senior artists, there's not enough people available at DE to guide this huge process so they simply prefer to keep it to a scope that can be handled by few selected artists 3-4 times a year for a month or less.

It is also because people will definitely start to make all sorts of high fantasy stuff and tennogen will become a nightmare to deal with ^^

On 2018-12-16 at 2:43 PM, Sitruutin said:

Hello! I've been rolling around on Blender trying things out. When making skins for Warframes, are you allowed to modify the base mesh? Or do I have to keep the base mesh as is and just work with sculpting, normal map baking, and materials?

You are only allowed to change textures on the body mesh, and you can do whatever you want with helmet (as long as it looks good).

Just now, sir_AXE said:

I was wondering , is it allowed change UV's ? or tweak few vertices (to support hipoly details when backing) ?

Because if the models are rebinded after (and skin weights are just copy pasted) that shouldn't cause any problems.

No. To put it simply, the only files that will be used for the bodies are only the textures. The obj files that you use for uploading will be deleted and will not be used. They will use the original unedited obj files as final product. So If your textures only match that edited obj files but not the original, then your skin is pretty much disqualified no matter how small the edit is.