Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Epic Game store

Sziklamester

Hello there! I am just made this thread because not found any similar thread yet and just I am curious.

Some of you know the Epic Game store is launched and some developer decides to create their own games to this store and I am just curious about if the DE wish to add their wares to the Epic store too despite the extra spendings to get more reputation and possibly new players whom wants to play fortnite too.

I am not a fan of the Fortnite but we can say currently it is a popular game and maybe this popularity can increase the warframe playerbase too. 

Pros and cons interests me I am now not giving idea because I want first hear your opinions on if it is worth to the DE in the hope of new players and increase popularity or just a waste of time since the Steam covers a large number of pc population here.

Thanks for your opinions.

For users, the epic game store is a waste of time, cause unless we can migrate our library there, we're forcefully bound to steam.

For devs though... I mean, I get the 88% rev share for paid games, but how that would benefit DE is beyond me. They will get more money from plat packs sold on EGS, and if they make a tennogen-like project there, they will get a higher revenue from those items as well, but I can't help questioning how much that will yield them if users aren't willing to migrate. Heck, there's still players who haven't migrated from the standalone version of Warframe to steam. So, I dunno, I don't think it wold make much of a difference.

Epic Games is Epic Games. Digital Extremes is Digital Extremes. Keep it that way.

Besides, using Fortnite's "popularity" to give visibility to the game is just wrong (imho). DE doesn't need to lick EG's clickbait-inducing butt to get make their game popular. 

Oh, and Warframe is (iirc) among the most popular Free-to-play games on Steam (I think third or something).

Edited by Blade_Wolf_16

Need to see how well it pans out first anyways. It might just stay as a catch-all for Epic's products and mostly indie developers or it might crash and burn.

Either way it'd come down to whether or not DE believes they'd benefit from being available there as well. Though it could sour DE's relation with Steam as well, especially if Epic succeeds at becoming a proper competitor.

I may be wrong but I've heard that you have to sign some sort of deal with Epic so you can't offer your game on other platforms...or something like that.  And that would be a major blow to Warframe in the end.
Further it would cause problems with Tennogen which wouldn't be able to move over as per the contract with Steam.

It honestly doesn't make sense for DE to move to the EGS, especially this early on.
Maybe when EGS becomes more embedded and popular...but not for now.

12 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

For users, the epic game store is a waste of time, cause unless we can migrate our library there, we're forcefully bound to steam.

For devs though... I mean, I get the 88% rev share for paid games, but how that would benefit DE is beyond me. They will get more money from plat packs sold on EGS, and if they make a tennogen-like project there, they will get a higher revenue from those items as well, but I can't help questioning how much that will yield them if users aren't willing to migrate. Heck, there's still players who haven't migrated from the standalone version of Warframe to steam. So, I dunno, I don't think it wold make much of a difference.

True but if we consider the price tags if they keep it on 12% then DE can save 18% because they may pay for Valve a lot of money not sure about how much their income and only I know they pay also this percent after steam workshop items.

The real question is if they wish to migrate there or they consider to settle there.

Depend on how many they could save with it but also not wish to lose the steam version.

At least for the current gamer community, i dont see advantage migrating anytime to Epic Game`s new platform. For younger audience which are starting their life as Gamers and dont have a large or expensive library to tie them to Steam, it might be best for them.

Personally i dont plan on investing my time on it.

Just now, Sziklamester said:

True but if we consider the price tags if they keep it on 12% then DE can save 18% because they may pay for Valve a lot of money not sure about how much their income and only I know they pay also this percent after steam workshop items.

The real question is if they wish to migrate there or they consider to settle there.

Depend on how many they could save with it but also not wish to lose the steam version.

This wont affect [DE] as Warframe is Free-To-Play.

Edited by BiancaRoughfin

11 minutes ago, Blade_Wolf_16 said:

Epic Games is Epic Games. Digital Extremes is Digital Extremes. Keep it that way.

Besides, using Fortnite's "popularity" to give visibility to the game is just wrong (imho). DE doesn't need to lick EG's clickbait-inducing butt to get make their game popular. 

Oh, and Warframe is (iirc) among the most popular Free-to-play games on Steam (I think third or something).

That's true but for those players whom play fortnite some willing to play warframe and if the games are in a same shop then maybe players of fortnite would play warframe instead of keeping multiple accounts. 

I don't know yet if they clickbaiting or just want to be nice in the first time then say a big F after you went there.

12 minutes ago, DarkRuler2500 said:

Why bother?
WF is better directly downloaded. Also you will not have the TennoGen there because they are steam-exclusives anyway.

Yep because warframe basically is a launcher game and I played way before the steam version so the tenno gens are a strong part but what if they can make a cheaper deal with epic? Same skill creation and they can earn more after every creation.

8 minutes ago, trst said:

Need to see how well it pans out first anyways. It might just stay as a catch-all for Epic's products and mostly indie developers or it might crash and burn.

Either way it'd come down to whether or not DE believes they'd benefit from being available there as well. Though it could sour DE's relation with Steam as well, especially if Epic succeeds at becoming a proper competitor.

True because they are now trying to be a great concurence of Valve and we should see how it will end. Maybe they won't be popular if they want exculisivty. 

Just my idea but DE could also launch an own shop. Would be D'E'(pic).

7 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

I may be wrong but I've heard that you have to sign some sort of deal with Epic so you can't offer your game on other platforms...or something like that.  And that would be a major blow to Warframe in the end.
Further it would cause problems with Tennogen which wouldn't be able to move over as per the contract with Steam.

It honestly doesn't make sense for DE to move to the EGS, especially this early on.
Maybe when EGS becomes more embedded and popular...but not for now.

Not sure about their policy but I am just considered here the prices and this could maybe help to DE to save more money and it could have benefits to move on a cheaper platform but also I don't want to lose the steam version because it is the place where my majority of games lays. 

Yep on this early time we should not push DE into a move because noone know if Epic can make a strong and more famous competitor to Valve so we will waiting for how the things goes. I personally would love if they can do both versions but thats mean 42% of their money goes into these platforms so in the end they need to decide which is the better for them. The only thing is what on the Valve part is the tennogen but the tennogen can be moved on also the Epic because it is sounds cheaper. 

Depend on but I don't wish to make a verdict here I am just listening opinions and ideas what could be the best to them. 

9 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

At least for the current gamer community, i dont see advantage migrating anytime to Epic Game`s new platform. For younger audience which are starting their life as Gamers and dont have a large or expensive library to tie them to Steam, it might be best for them.

Personally i dont plan on investing my time on it.

This wont affect [DE] as Warframe is Free-To-Play.

Me neither want but I already have multiple accounts on these other platforms too but I am using 99% of the time on the steam. Anyway thankies your idea.

16 minutes ago, Sziklamester said:

That's true but for those players whom play fortnite some willing to play warframe and if the games are in a same shop then maybe players of fortnite would play warframe instead of keeping multiple accounts. 

I don't know yet if they clickbaiting or just want to be nice in the first time then say a big F after you went there.

If Fortnite players want to play Warframe that badly, they will make their way to it even without EGS.

1 minute ago, Lanadra said:

If Fortnite players want to play Warframe that badly, they will make their way to it even without EGS.

On the same way as many of us so just make new account on other platform and play it but that is a little bit out to date. I prefer to have all my game on one place and I think a lot of players wants that too. 

Just now, Sziklamester said:

On the same way as many of us so just make new account on other platform and play it but that is a little bit out to date. I prefer to have all my game on one place and I think a lot of players wants that too. 

Out of date? It's practically the norm.

Steam
Origin
Battlenet
Arc
Epic Game Store
Uplay

There's more launchers now then ever. We are further away from ''everything in one place'' then we ever were before. Half those launchers above are from publishers whose games used to be on Steam.

1 minute ago, Lanadra said:

Steam
Origin
Battlenet
Arc
Epic Game Store
Uplay

There's more launchers now then ever. We are further away from ''everything in one place'' then we ever were before. Half those launchers above are from publishers whose games used to be on Steam.

And those just born and born. Yes we are further away from the ideal and most comfortable solution. I personally would like if I buy a game and there will be on my pc without using any of these platforms and before steam it was a normal stuff but in that time also it was hard to get games a little bit before the early 2000's.

Now we have a lot of options but that is not really user friendly because you need to launch multiple launchers if you want to play a certain game but the easiest always was to run on one platform and play it.

I have accs on these ones too. I rarely use them and I have no motivation for Uplay , Arc, Origin and sometimes use battlenet and epic and rarely arc but honestly I just want to know my wares in the same place.

5 hours ago, Lanadra said:

Steam
Origin
Battlenet
Arc
Epic Game Store
Uplay

Out of that list the only ones I've purchased games on are Steam and Origin.  And I haven't bought anything new on Origin in about four years.  (Not since the last real expansion for Sims 3.)  I do play Star Trek Online, but I don't use Arc (because it is horrible.)  And I refuse outright to buy anything from U(can't)Play or Battlenet.

At the moment, I have zero faith in the Epic Launcher.  I get that it's a much better deal for game developers.  And I have no particular loyalty to Steam.  But I don't trust Epic as far as it would bounce, and it's likely that I'll just end up not owning any games that are exclusive to the Epic Launcher.  (Shame too, "Satisfactory" looked kind of interesting.)

38 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

Out of that list the only ones I've purchased games on are Steam and Origin.  And I haven't bought anything new on Origin in about four years.  (Not since the last real expansion for Sims 3.)  I do play Star Trek Online, but I don't use Arc (because it is horrible.)  And I refuse outright to buy anything from U(can't)Play or Battlenet.

At the moment, I have zero faith in the Epic Launcher.  I get that it's a much better deal for game developers.  And I have no particular loyalty to Steam.  But I don't trust Epic as far as it would bounce, and it's likely that I'll just end up not owning any games that are exclusive to the Epic Launcher.  (Shame too, "Satisfactory" looked kind of interesting.)

And it's not even all of them, only the ones I could immediately think of from personal experience. Just about every dedicated F2P publisher has one. Gameforge, Gamersfirst, NCsoft. And the kicker is that all the games using those 3 launchers are also on Steam.

Yes, Epic Games Store can be of significant interest to devs, but to consumers like us, especially those of us heavily invested in a platform like Steam.. there's no reason to move. And I am allergic to the very idea of having more then 3 of those blasted launchers on my system. And even the ones I have, I do not allow them to run unless I specifically want to play a game bound to it.

7 hours ago, Sziklamester said:

Having 70% from a sale is always better that having 88% from no sale.

There's not a single reason for any customer (especially a long-term one) to move from Steam to EGS, especially given how pro-publisher and anti-consumer the latter one is, so guess where there will be a sale and where there will be none.

Don't be fooled by percentages. Any percent from 0 is 0.