Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wukong - The long range monkey who doesnt have range.

LuckyCharm

Hey guys, 

With the talk of a wukong rework on the recent devstream I'd like to just mention that I would really like it if his staff could get some new animations. Currently it feels like at least half the attacks it does are short range slams intront of him, (the ones where he slams the giant pole infront of him vertically) which really cuts down the effectiveness of his staff being able to extend so far with range mods. With a big weapon like that he would be a much more interesting frame assuming he could actually use it's range for more than the first 2 strikes of a combo.

He has other issues that a rework would be good to get looked at, but the exalted staves combo's really are the thing that stops me using him mainly since they don't feel effective at all compared to the other ones. 

DE Pls?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LuckyCharm said:

hort range slams intront of him, (the ones where he slams the giant pole infront of him vertically) which really cuts down the effectiveness of his staff being able to extend so far with range mods.

Couple of things.

It doesn't scale with range mods, the cap is the same no matter what your range stat is.

It's not very long in the first place, the issue isn't primarily the slams but just that it's only 4m long at the cap in the first place.

56 minutes ago, LuckyCharm said:

Oh theres a cap now?

There's always been a cap, sadly. 

For the sake of clarity, it's 200% additional reach. Range mods will affect how much longer the staff grows per hit, up to that cap. Default 100% range will give you 20% additional reach per hit, meaning it takes you 10 hits. 34% range if using Narrow Minded will mean you need 30 hits to reach the cap.

And that's not really a tall order.

I was sad for the scaling of his Iron Vault augment with Power Range. I really wanted to do some Pogo monkey slams.

His 4th pretty much just needs more base status chance and I think it'll be fine.

Would be cool if they add some quick transportation capacity to his Cloud Walker and maybe some low duration clones when he comes out.

One thing for sure is that he's way too slow. He should have 1.2 Sprint speed at a minimum.

Il y a 8 heures, DeMonkey a dit :

There's always been a cap, sadly. 

For the sake of clarity, it's 200% additional reach. Range mods will affect how much longer the staff grows per hit, up to that cap. Default 100% range will give you 20% additional reach per hit, meaning it takes you 10 hits. 34% range if using Narrow Minded will mean you need 30 hits to reach the cap.

And that's not really a tall order.

In fact the most bullS#&$ part of all of this is that you're probably better off butchering range being that his 4th still gets to the same top range and his 1 is completely unaffected. 

In fact the most hilarious thing is that the only good reason to run a range wukong is his 1 augment... And even that is mostly for the memes unless you were using that broken exodia combo I'm not sure is still in the game. 

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

Can you elaborate on why you think that?

Primal Fury is 85% Impact weighted with no Slash weight which generally justifies more status.

It lacks the range of EB along with melee range double hits. It lacks the swift hits of Hysteria's Slide and massive damage of ground finishers and it doesn't have auto-parry or immortality. Not that he needs it but the CC immunity is handy. The Exalted weapon falls between the other two and ends up kinda mediocre. He does at least have the ability to stun enemies like Valkyr to perform executes but otherwise I feel he struggles even more against armor.

I think a nice 25% base status would help a lot and in general I hope the Exalted weapon stances get improved.

Edited by Xzorn

Just now, Xzorn said:

Primal Fury is 85% Impact weighted with no Slash weight which generally justifies more status.

It lacks the range of EB. It lacks the swift hits of Hysteria's Slide and massive damage of ground finishers and it doesn't have auto-parry or immortality. Not that he would need it but the CC immunity is pretty handy. The Exalted weapon falls between the other two and ends up kinda mediocre. He does at least have the ability to stun enemies like Valkyr to perform melee executes but otherwise I feel he struggles even more against armor.

I think a nice 25% base status would help a lot and in general I hope the Exalted weapon stances get improved.

I disagree, not that it's bad, but that it needs a higher status chance.

It will kill most enemies in one hit, up to about level 150. Bombards are going to be the only enemy that take a little longer (if using corrosive). Any additional damage gained from a status proc by reducing armour or setting enemies on fire or whatever is going to be completely unnoticed.

It needs buffs certainly, but added status chance isn't it.

4 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

It needs buffs certainly, but added status chance isn't it.

What my friend here means, @Xzorn is that if this was a side part of buffing the ability, he wouldn't actually complain, as status is good in general. But in the larger scheme of things, if this didn't happen so that the ability could be improved in another, more meaningful, way then it wouldn't be a loss at all as the ability is damaging enough without that.

Just now, Birdframe_Prime said:

he wouldn't actually complain, as status is good in general

I might gripe about the worth of such a change, but no, I wouldn't be creating any threads complaining about it.

I just can't see what the actual benefits of such a change would be, status is really only useful if you aren't killing enemies in one hit which... the staff actually does a really good job at, contrary to some of the things I've read here.

There there Staff, Monkey still loves you.

4 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

I might gripe about the worth of such a change, but no, I wouldn't be creating any threads complaining about it.

Indeed, as long as the more meaningful changes happened, like allowing a better Range, improving the base combos so that he can be more mobile and apply his damage more reliably no matter which one you use, and maybe picking up his other abilities to make them more 'Wukong' than 'Warframe with a Stick'.

A bit of Status would help for when you're not used to the frame yet, or don't have all the good mods yet, and you can then learn how to build him for much better results as you progress.

Honestly all I've ever wanted for it was more fluid combos and a bit more variety in their purpose. Right now he can get really janky and unpredictable if you aren't sticking to the same spammy combos constantly.

I'm fine with a generally limited range, but it'd nice to see more combos that alter the shape similar to the ground slam combo changing into it a thick pillar. Having one combo that extends the range greatly for a few finale swings would be awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is what I would do to wukong.

Wukong:

Passive: The more enemies he kills the longer the range on his melee weapons.

·       All abilities can be cast on the move.

1st ability

·       Increases the range of the ability cast to 15m with a 10m radius when knocking enemies down which can both be increased by range mods.

·       Holding the ability will cause it to swipe enemies for multiple hits

·       Using the ability will not ragdoll enemies but instead will either damage them or knock them down.

3rd ability REWORK

Wukong plucks hairs off his back to produce two clones of himself that will fight with him for a short duration. Upon death the clones will multiple itself all together spawning four clones.

·       It will either use the melee weapon that you have equipped, or it will use primal fury however If you cast it while using guns, the clones will fight with melee weapon.

·       Clones can use whatever stance you have in your melee weapon and stance from 4th ability.

·       (Synergy) You can increase it survivability by using the 2nd ability before you cast the 3rd ability. The invulnerability phase on the clone will only work once. 

·       (Synergy) The clones range attacks will be the 1st ability.

4th ability

·       Decrease the attack speed of the first two swings in the stance. or give him a completely new stance.

·       When blocking enemy damage, it will store up the damage and then can be released by preforming a slam attack.

·       (Synergy) The stored-up damage from blocking can be used to boost the damage of the 1st ability.

Fix: When preforming the animation, you can`t see the staff. (this has been like this ever since he was released)

Fix: Make the growing range of the melee weapon noticeable and effective.