Idea for Shields

Grave.Knight

Don't shoot me right away as this is kind of just a half baked idea. Anyways, what if Shields had a flat damage reduction based on a percentage of the max capacity? Say something like 5 or 10% of max capacity is expressed as damage reduction. This means anything that does less damage than the damage reduction rating does 0 damage as long as you have shields. Toxin would still ignore shields, but Slash might not necessarily proc (or rather they would proc for 0 damage since slash is based on a percentage of the damage).

Now there are some fairly obvious flaws. Namely say an enemy has ten thousand shields, and even if the damage reduction is only 5% that's still a DR of 500.

I believe armor stat does this but with the health bar.   It doesn’t do it very well at least.  My fully buffed chroma with vex armor should be sporting over 7k armor but even level 30 enemies can remove my health.   But it’s the constant DOT procs that seem to kill me all the time.  Shields should protect against those instead of just damage reduction. 

7 hours ago, (PS4)M1ST3R_NUTS said:

I believe armor stat does this but with the health bar.   It doesn’t do it very well at least.  My fully buffed chroma with vex armor should be sporting over 7k armor but even level 30 enemies can remove my health.   But it’s the constant DOT procs that seem to kill me all the time.  Shields should protect against those instead of just damage reduction. 

It's not flat damage reduction rather it makes each point of health more efficient. There is this like whole formula for it but basically the more armor you have the closer you get to 100% damage reduction without ever reaching 100% damage reduction.

I always felt shields had a lot of potential as an equalizer, since if you think about it, shields are just energy cancelling an attack.

It doesn't matter if you shoot someone in the face or the foot so no weakpoint bonuses, doesn't really matter element or what your attack does; it doesn't really make sense that you can make a shield 'bleed' or 'burn', you can't even really puncture it or blast through it, it's just energy.

I think it'd give shields an interesting niche, if it effectively ignored all damage gimmicks except for maybe Electricity and Magnet.  Toxin leaking through doesn't make 100% sense -it can still work, it just complicates shield's niche, and magnet procs effectively deleting your shield sort of makes them rather pointless to invest in.

I brought up a Shield health type change a while ago I think would work well. It's essentially a diluted revers Adaptation.

Basically Shields have a mitigation value based on your current shield value. This decreases as shields falter or with each shot taken to shields until 50% of maximum shields where they no longer grant mitigation. The exactly damage reduction would require some tweaking since some frames make very good use of shields but the basic concept is that one-shots are heavily reduced though continuous damage intake will not be changed very much.

I mean, if anything DE can make a reverse Adaptation mod and I'd use it. Starts at 90% lose 10% each time you're hit but gain a stack every 20s.

13 hours ago, Xzorn said:

I brought up a Shield health type change a while ago I think would work well. It's essentially a diluted revers Adaptation.

Basically Shields have a mitigation value based on your current shield value. This decreases as shields falter or with each shot taken to shields until 50% of maximum shields where they no longer grant mitigation. The exactly damage reduction would require some tweaking since some frames make very good use of shields but the basic concept is that one-shots are heavily reduced though continuous damage intake will not be changed very much.

I mean, if anything DE can make a reverse Adaptation mod and I'd use it. Starts at 90% lose 10% each time you're hit but gain a stack every 20s.

That sounds too much like how armor works.

14 hours ago, Xzorn said:

I think this idea is very interesting, it could also make sense, damaged shield needs to repair and recharge, and by doing so there's a loss in the efficiency of damage reduction.

Maybe the values need to be adjusted but the concept is pretty cool!