Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Keybind Setup To Make Easy Access To Blocking/all Mobility (Five-Button Mouse) From Mass Effect Default

Necrotron

First thing I had to do when I started Warframe was remap my keybinds.  I have heard others make similar feedback about having trouble with the keybind setup (other Mass Effect 3 multiplayer enthusiasts like myself), who eventually just went back to Mass Effect 3.  As a long time Mass Effect player, I had to reset a few of the basic keybinds to mirror what was familiar to me, and given that Warframe has a number of additional mobility moves, I used my five-button mouse to make easy access to all the skills available in Warframe.

I have heard the developers talking about their concerns over easy keybind access to blocking/dodge rolls in the twitch, so I thought I might share my personal solution to make those features easy to access as a long standing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer player.

Note: My five-button mouse I use is an ambidextrous five-button mouse, the ever popular Microsoft Intellimouse (http://www.mikesaysmeh.com/uploads/2011/09/vg85191_123950-Gadget32-Intellimouse_b.jpg), comparable to the SteelSeries Kana, so when I describe 'Mouse Button 5' as the 'right mouse button', keep that in mind.  If not an ambidextrous mouse, the right and left mouse buttons will be the top and bottom right mouse buttons, respectively. 

Keybinds

Jump                         Space

Reload                      R

Sprint                        Shift/Mouse Button 5 (Right Mouse Button)

Roll                           Mouse Button 3 (Middle Mouse Button)

Use                           E

Melee                        F

Block                         Mouse Button 4 (Left Mouse Button)

Switch Weapon         Mouse Wheel Up    Mouse Wheel Down

Using the five button mouse, in addition to having an easy way to manage sprinting while leaving your keyboard fingers to hit other buttons, you also have quick easy access to the block key, and the roll key.  All comparable keybinds have been reset to Mass Effect standard keybinds, so as a player of that game this setup should feel natural.

That is my current setup, and I hope this is helpful to any other Mass Effect players who also play Warframe, or anyone who has a five-button mouse looking for a simple way to bind their keys so everything can be easily accessed.

Edited by Necrotron

Wtf is a mouse button five? Or even a four for that matter?

Nah I kid. I only have the two mouse buttons and a wheel, but I know that most standard mice have 4 or 5 buttons now.

The control scheme you listed is efficient enough, though I would have interact and melee switched. To me, pressing F repeatedly makes it more difficult to use my WASD keys. Then again I'm one of those people who use "Camera does not affect melee direction" on a keyboard. But in any case, solid controls.

Very standard and easy to use.

Edited by ProfessorSnow

Wtf is a mouse button five? Or even a four for that matter?

Nah I kid. I only have the two mouse buttons and a wheel, but I know that most standard mice have 4 or 5 buttons now.

The control scheme you listed is efficient enough, though I would have interact and melee switched. To me, pressing F repeatedly makes it more difficult to use my WASD keys. Then again I'm one of those people who use "Camera does not affect melee direction" on a keyboard. But in any case, solid controls.

Very standard and easy to use.

Good points, I updated the original post with better descriptions.  Certainly not for everybody, but I found after lots of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, using F for melee worked best for me.  

I do not know why but I prefer to have "Fire" on mouse1-2 button so in my 5 button mouse it look like this:

Keybinds

-----------------Mouse--------------------------------

Melee                        Mouse Button 1

Fire                           Mouse Button 2

Use                           Mouse Button 3

Switch Power            Mouse Wheel Up    Mouse Wheel Down

Use Power                Mouse Wheel Press

Togle Crouch            Mouse Button 4

-------------------Keyboard---------------------------

Switch Weapon         F

Sprint                        E ( after a while you little finger tell you "THANK you ";) )

Zoom                        Q

Waste a mouse button to change between 2 weapon is really bad idea mayby in future when you can have multiple weapons yes.

Edited by kz3dart

• 1 month later...

I do not know why but I prefer to have "Fire" on mouse1-2 button so in my 5 button mouse it look like this:

Keybinds

-----------------Mouse--------------------------------

Melee                        Mouse Button 1

Fire                           Mouse Button 2

Use                           Mouse Button 3

Switch Power            Mouse Wheel Up    Mouse Wheel Down

Use Power                Mouse Wheel Press

Togle Crouch            Mouse Button 4

-------------------Keyboard---------------------------

Switch Weapon         F

Sprint                        E ( after a while you little finger tell you "THANK you ";) )

Zoom                        Q

Waste a mouse button to change between 2 weapon is really bad idea mayby in future when you can have multiple weapons yes.

Totally a good idea to rebind sprint somewhere.  I pretty much just use my side mouse button to sprint and leave my pinky free to hit ctrl to slide.