Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennobaum 2018

Marcooose

Just now, Shadow-Spawn said:

You missed the point entirely.

The fact that I am pointing it out now does not make it any less true.
It's not nice to speak out against charity in any form, perhaps that's why so few players dare to do it.

I did also speak out against DEs last in-game charity campaign in September/October about cancer.
And I have lost people that I cared greatly about to cancer myself.

I have played WF less than 6 months, so I have missed out on all the other previous charity campaigns.

I am not against any of the charity campaigns in general - I am against mixing IRL charity campaigns with in-game events.

It does not seem noble, when it's used like a sales & marketing ploy - if DE wants to support any or all of the charity campaigns - just give them all generous donations without telling your player base about it. That's really noble. 

Don't give to charity, so that others can see how great you are - give to charity because you care about the cause.

Dude that's amazing.

5 minutes ago, Shadow-Spawn said:

It's not nice to speak out against charity in any form, perhaps that's why so few players dare to do it.

I did also speak out against DEs last in-game charity campaign in September/October about cancer.

I have played WF less than 6 months, so I have missed out on all the other previous charity campaigns.

I am not against any of the charity campaigns in general - I am against mixing IRL charity campaigns with in-game events.

It does not seem noble, when it's used like a sales & marketing ploy - if DE wants to support any or all of the charity campaigns - just give them all generous donations without telling your player base about it. That's really noble. 

Don't give to charity, so that others can see how great you are - give to charity because you care about the cause.

So you are just misunderstanding, DE has the same right, me and you have to donate, to anyone they like.

And yes, even irl charity events are often used for sales and marketing ploys. Small towns local business owners tag their name and their company while making donations.
Like I said before, I often volunteer helping on charity events, I know how they work.

But remember, they don't have to, often times they gain little from doing so, the idea is to increase the bond of community while doing so.

And yes, DE could give without needing to involve its playerbase, but also, DE success comes from its community alone, this is not about entirely splashing their name on a check, but also to show its playerbase community that they will do right by it helping others, as its community has been helping them over the past 5 years.

6 hours ago, Shadow-Spawn said:

I am against mixing IRL charity campaigns with in-game events.

No, you missed the point entirely - evidence by the fact you're still scrambling to defend your shortsighted comments.

I'm going to shorten the quote to the crux of your argument.  Your subjective idea of what is noble.  Guess what, your idea of what is noble obviously does not resonate with EVERYBODY ELSE.  It's an opinion - a garbage opinion at that.  You are projecting your opinion about what is noble at Digital Extremes and trying to defame them for it.  You are a sad person.  

I guess McDonald's giving portions of Happy Meal purchases to Ronald McDonald House Charity also isn't noble right?  I'll remember to tell my cousin who survived Leukemia that, since they took care of his family while he was on the verge dying.  I'll remember to drill it into his head that because McDonald's didn't do it anonymously, and that because they made sales to make it happen, that it wasn't noble so he should be an ungrateful spastic about it...

You really are a derranged individual.  If I can wish one thing for you this holidays, it's that you gain a normal moral compass.  

Edited by (PS4)lagrue
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Caliboom said:

Oh man, today's Tennobaum is disappointing, I can see that, almost nobody is gifting anything, such a shame, I guess people are less generous and care less about others nowadays.

or just are out of :platinum: and/or to many x-mass expenses irl...

Edited by Rin-senpai

6 hours ago, Shadow-Spawn said:

You seem to be under the impression that it matters where the money came from. It doesn't. The only thing that matters is that it goes to a good organization that will use those resources accordingly. This is not the PR sceme your trying to paint it as. They do these things regularly. If it was truly a PR sceme then they would plaster it everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Caliboom said:

Oh man, today's Tennobaum is disappointing, I can see that, almost nobody is gifting anything, such a shame, I guess people are less generous and care less about others nowadays.

It could also be that it's a work week?

That DE has made this Tennobaum what.. 1/2 to 1/3 the time period it usually is?

And because it's counting gifts sent not plat spent, they're donating between 1/3 and 1/2 the money they got from tennobaum spending if it stays at the 75k mark. If we do hit the top goal, it's 25-40%.

Meaning if people give them enough money, they make 120k, and they donate 0.000625% of their income, 1/1600th to the charity.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)Eminem2420 said:

You seem to be under the impression that it matters where the money came from. It doesn't. The only thing that matters is that it goes to a good organization that will use those resources accordingly. This is not the PR sceme your trying to paint it as. They do these things regularly. If it was truly a PR sceme then they would plaster it everywhere.

It is 100% a PR stunt, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

That doesn't mean it's a bad thing persay. But it is PR.

And a tidy bonus for end of year for them.

3 minutes ago, DarkOvion said:

Transparent Philanthropy is not always about PR.  Sometimes the transparency is for the sake of inspiring others to join in and do the same/or participate.... as is the case here.  Sure good PR can come with it - but it doesn't have to be the intent.  

You can find 100s of interesting discussions online about Philanthropy and why some people choose anonymity and others don't. 

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

17 minutes ago, DarkOvion said:

It could also be that it's a work week?

That DE has made this Tennobaum what.. 1/2 to 1/3 the time period it usually is?

And because it's counting gifts sent not plat spent, they're donating between 1/3 and 1/2 the money they got from tennobaum spending if it stays at the 75k mark. If we do hit the top goal, it's 25-40%.

Meaning if people give them enough money, they make 120k, and they donate 0.000625% of their income, 1/1600th to the charity.

It is 100% a PR stunt, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

That doesn't mean it's a bad thing persay. But it is PR.

And a tidy bonus for end of year for them.

No it's not a PR stunt. It's barely anywhere in the gaming news. They do this every year and now suddenly people want to whine? That's funny.

30 minutes ago, (XB1)Eminem2420 said:

No, you're just stating your opinion. Doesn't mean its fact or that its right. That is a common misconception.

I mean, all the math I ran is going to be pretty much as-is - infact, it's probably a larger gap tbh, being I lowballed the numbers pretty good.

As a business, everything they do publically, is public relations.

The amount given, is the equivalent of you or I giving £10-20. But only if someone else gives us £20-50 first.

It's good they are giving to charity. But it's still PR, and the math still applies.

1 hour ago, DarkOvion said:

I mean, all the math I ran is going to be pretty much as-is - infact, it's probably a larger gap tbh, being I lowballed the numbers pretty good.

As a business, everything they do publically, is public relations.

The amount given, is the equivalent of you or I giving £10-20. But only if someone else gives us £20-50 first.

It's good they are giving to charity. But it's still PR, and the math still applies.

This. You could make the argument that Tennobaum is less about PR and more about generating plat purchases, because it is certainly also about that. But whatever the reason, two facts remain: One, DE's motives are at least partially (if not wholly) selfish in this endeavor because it's a way of generating income, either directly or indirectly, for Warframe and for their studio. Two, a good cause is going to get a lot of money as a result of the gimmick, so it's not a bad thing.

People don't need to pretend like the Red Cross donation is some selfless and noble deed to justify it. Businesses engage in this sort of thing all the time. Being cynical about a profit-seeking enterprise's reason for donating to a good cause isn't helping anyone; best case scenario, the cynicism destroys the facade and nobody participates in Tennobaum, and then the Red Cross gets a grand total of $0. That's not a win condition, so for anyone to stand arms folded and point out how DE isn't really, truly, completely doing this just out of the kindness of their heart is pointless. In other news, businesses sponsor runners in charity 5ks because it's good exposure that comes cheap if you don't run as far. That's the game, that's the point, that's why people do it, and in doing it a lot of worthy causes make a really substantial chunk of income.