Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strun Wraith vs Corinth vs Boar Prime vs Hek/Vaykor Hek - which one is strongest?

Marakai

I'm a sucker for the Boar. Great for clearing out mobs and great single-target as well. Easily clears 25k sheet dmg and 100% status with a riven. Gdlk shotty if you ask me.

Not as strong in pure dmg as some other options, but who cares at that point? You're going up against lvl70 enemies at most 99% of the time. The Boar more than amply does the job with large magazine, auto trigger and large spread.

Boar all the way, baby.

7 hours ago, Marakai said:

Arca is good point, I should have mention it, sorry.

So how Arca would be placed among those?

Arca Plasmor? Where would it be placed?
It's the God of Shotguns.

I want you to picture...Death...literal Death....now give manifest it into the physical plane...
Now...focus as the universe & reality itself is torn asunder while it twists & contorts around the absolute manifestation of the Law of Death itself & reshapes it into a Weapon...
A true weapon that is the total sum of the Anti-Life Equation once solved.

That weapon...

THAT WEAPON is known as the Arca Plasmor.

But if I had to go with the weapons you named...
Draw between The Vaykor Hek (It's an upgraded Hek...no point in NOT using it.) & The Corinth.

I personally prefer the utility & guaranteed Status that the Corinth's Alt-Fire has.
But the Veykor Hek is just as nice with it's AoE blast.

One thing to consider: every shotgun have  a different «feel» to it. 

Take a look at each shotgun stats: RoF, accuracy, alt fire and so on.

Then you choose one and build it, do not put potato into it from the get go, take it out in the field first, level it for mastery and see how it feels. Some of the things like reload time can be corrected with mods, but if you will hate Corinth for its reload mechanic (as some players do), maybe something else will be “your” shotgun.

Boar Prime will get you across the starchart like nothing, and even is great for some of the most annoying MR tests.

Going to provide a video, yes Zephyr is doing most of the work, but the spread, fire rate and ammo size trivializes most of the more skill necessary tests.

Spoiler

While I completely understand the love for Rhino, other frames may be better for some specific shotguns for different reasons. Or some shotguns are just ultimately good enough to not need that intense buff outside of a few OP mobs.

7 hours ago, (PS4)godlysparta said:

Come in and see a bunch of Riven talk. Not single mention about the Kohm. Sighs.

Kohm is actually an amazing weapon also, it nearly guarantees every kill will split into three bodies, great for Nekros.

Corinth is my vote, though I do have a pretty bonkers riven for it. Versatile, fun, and somewhat skill based (spacing the alt-fire can take some time to get used to). It also sounds like a proper shotgun, i.e. God slamming a door. Vaykor Hek is another great choice and I've had fun with the Strun and Boar. I have a feeling Khom can get crazy with the right amount of forma and a good build, have yet to try it though.

10 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Hek's sound's pretty subjective, but I use Status on the Strun for scaling. Thing strips armour so fast. Or, if dealing with Corpus, it can take out most in one, maybe two bodyshots, not to mention headshots. It's a very potent option. Although if this thread has demonstrated anything, it's that most shotguns are a very potent option in Warframe.

If we're going to allow synergies though, combine a Strun Wraith shot with a Redeemer blast for pretty much an instant kill against... pretty much anything that's not a boss fight. Seriously, even the Jackals in Fortuna up to a pretty high level. Pretty sure the only thing that stops it oneshotting Sycto Raknoids is the Invincibility period and the status immunity for Kytas. And it saves ammo which is nice for Strun Wraith's reload. It's basically the Glaive Prime combo with more power but much less range (since the glaive prime uses the Zakti and, well, Glaive Prime which don't have falloff like the Strun and Redeemer do.) I eagerly await Redeemer Prime to take this combo even further beyond, not that it honestly really needs it. That combo tops even my Tigris Prime in terms of power. Though I haven't put that much effort into it, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Strun Wraith. I have mine built for 100% status too and you're right, it strips armor really fast. Also, since I mod for Corrosive, I naturally get a Blast proc a lot too by the combination of the other dual stat mods. 

That build - the 4 dual stats and Primed Point Blank, Hell's Chamber, Vigilante Armaments & Seeking Fury - totals 8948.2 damage with 18% crit chance and 2.2 multiplier.

The Hek with the exact same build totals 11729.3 damage with a 25% crit chance and a 2.0 multiplier. 

Now I'll admit 100% that they should be built differently because they are different weapons. The Hek with the same build doesn't reach 100% status, let alone true 100% status. But the Vaykor Hek also has its syndicate proc built in which not only ragdolls enemies but restores 25% of the player's health and provides a smale armor boost for 30 seconds (15%). 

They are both great weapons. But with the syndicate proc along with the higher base damage and higher crit chance, it's my opinion the Hek is a better weapon.

However, as evidenced in this thread, it really is a matter of opinion based on experience with builds. Perhaps I could. fuddle. with my build on the strun a bit more. I just noticed I didn't have Prime Charged Shell in there, which would be nice. 

Edited by z3us32610

3 hours ago, z3us32610 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the Strun Wraith. I have mine built for 100% status too and you're right, it strips armor really fast. Also, since I mod for Corrosive, I naturally get a Blast proc a lot too by the combination of the other dual stat mods. 

That build - the 4 dual stats and Primed Point Blank, Hell's Chamber, Vigilante Armaments & Seeking Fury - totals 8948.2 damage with 18% crit chance and 2.2 multiplier.

The Hek with the exact same build totals 11729.3 damage with a 25% crit chance and a 2.0 multiplier. 

Now I'll admit 100% that they should be built differently because they are different weapons. The Hek with the same build doesn't reach 100% status, let alone true 100% status. But the Vaykor Hek also has its syndicate proc built in which not only ragdolls enemies but restores 25% of the player's health and provides a smale armor boost for 30 seconds (15%). 

They are both great weapons. But with the syndicate proc along with the higher base damage and higher crit chance, it's my opinion the Hek is a better weapon.

However, as evidenced in this thread, it really is a matter of opinion based on experience with builds. Perhaps I could. fuddle. with my build on the strun a bit more. I just noticed I didn't have Prime Charged Shell in there, which would be nice. 

Well, I've been ignoring my Vaykor Hek for a while now so maybe I'll give it another go. Shotguns are rapidly becoming my preferred weapon type so it wouldn't hurt to have more options. 

Though top tip for Strun - it doesn't need four dual-stats, it just needs three a bit like the Phantasma. This saves a slot for something else - I can't remember what I personally have on my build right now but it's something to keep in mind. Though I personally use heat as the second elemental for my Corrosive setup and electric for my gas. Which means that my Corrosive setup has a bit of Damage over time as well and sets things on fire (which is never NOT a plus, visually at least) and my Gas setup does a smidgem of extra damage to enemies affected by the gas.

9 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Well, I've been ignoring my Vaykor Hek for a while now so maybe I'll give it another go. Shotguns are rapidly becoming my preferred weapon type so it wouldn't hurt to have more options. 

Though top tip for Strun - it doesn't need four dual-stats, it just needs three a bit like the Phantasma. This saves a slot for something else - I can't remember what I personally have on my build right now but it's something to keep in mind. Though I personally use heat as the second elemental for my Corrosive setup and electric for my gas. Which means that my Corrosive setup has a bit of Damage over time as well and sets things on fire (which is never NOT a plus, visually at least) and my Gas setup does a smidgem of extra damage to enemies affected by the gas.

Holy crap, I don't think I ever did the math to realize that only 3 60/60's will get it to 112% status chance! And I already could tell when I looked at it the last. post that my build could use some upgrading. Lol, funny, I am definitely revisiting my build on the Strun Wraith, gonna play with that bad boy tonight, in fact. 😉

As for Fire Damage Effect, gotta love enemies burning and flailing around. It's a beautiful sight. 

57 minutes ago, z3us32610 said:

Holy crap, I don't think I ever did the math to realize that only 3 60/60's will get it to 112% status chance! And I already could tell when I looked at it the last. post that my build could use some upgrading. Lol, funny, I am definitely revisiting my build on the Strun Wraith, gonna play with that bad boy tonight, in fact. 😉

As for Fire Damage Effect, gotta love enemies burning and flailing around. It's a beautiful sight. 

Glad I could help!

I checked the mods I put in the spare slot - Blunderbuss for the Corrosive build and Vicious Spread for the Gas. Blunderbuss since I want to hit more pellets on a single target with Corrosive, and Vicious Spread since I'm going in for a penny with AoE on Gas anyway, might as well go in for a pound.

i'll root for Corinth.

that thing has a massive damage output and goes good against lv150 enemies even without any element

Just slap blunderbuss and laser sight (yes there is actually a use for this mod now!) on it - bam 93% CC. Add that on top of Hunter Munitions and possibly even armaments and boi do you have a slash slingshot then.

51 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Glad I could help!

I checked the mods I put in the spare slot - Blunderbuss for the Corrosive build and Vicious Spread for the Gas. Blunderbuss since I want to hit more pellets on a single target with Corrosive, and Vicious Spread since I'm going in for a penny with AoE on Gas anyway, might as well go in for a pound.

ahh, I can't wait to get home and play with my builds. I have yet to find a use for Vicious Spread too, so I'm eager to try it out. I had put it on one shotgun (cant remember which one) and I did not like the results. so yeah, this is why I like to comment in the forums, always learning! 😉

I like the sanctigris - more so than the prime, in fact. The damages are roughly equal when you factor in crit chance, you won't reach 100% status like the prime can (though it's still crappy on the prime because you're required to have blast damage - blast procs are terrible on anything that's not explicitly built for CC because they stop you from landing headshots), but the syndicate explosion is great. An instant 25% heal in the middle of combat without you having to do anything is a wonderful thing to happen. It's also extremely convenient in spy missions, where the gun will proc the moment you finish hacking and clear out all the cameras for your exit, and corrosive procs on everything in range is always a nice thing to have.

That said, I've been using the Corinth recently with a hybrid build. Give it 4x dual stat mods for radiation + viral which gives you 100% status on the alt-fire, then add crit, damage, multishot and punchthrough in whatever proportion you desire. The airburst alt-fire will irradiate, knock down and infect everything in its radius, though it may take you a second pull of the trigger to get both viral and radiation if you don't have enough multishot. This will immediately take the pressure off you by giving the unaffected enemies a new set of weakened and stunned targets, and the ability to hit enemies from way behind cover is incredibly nice. The primary fire will be effective against all armour types, since the damage spread is 50% puncture (good for ferrite armour) plus the modded in radiation (alloy armour) and a bonus from viral against the base grineer health type. This build is optimised against grineer, but they're the tankiest enemies in the game and need the bonus. The second most tankiest enemies (the larger corpus robotics) are also susceptible to this damage setup - puncture and radiation are great against robotics and whatever armour type they fit.

I do miss the syndicate proc, though. If we ever get a rakta (or telos?) corinth, it'll be years before I ever look at another shotgun again.

The other consideration is what sidearm you pair your main gun with. Since I'm packing a shotgun as my primary, I personally want a long-ranged pistol (eg. lex, marelok, vasto, pandora) for situations when an enemy is too far away. A Sanctigris, being primarily slash-based, I would pair with a puncture-based secondary - (ak)lex prime is my choice. The 50% puncture Corinth wants a slash based secondary (eg. vasto, marelok is a decent all-rounder with great status). Likewise, I'd mirror the elemental choice. Sanctigris = slash-based, so give it corrosive/cold and put rad/(viral or toxin) on a puncture secondary; corinth = puncture-based with rad + (viral/toxin) goes well with a slash secondary packing corrosive/cold so that you can still get your acid procs. Do this and you've got the right elements to deal with all enemy types.

strun with that ridiculous reload.. youll literally spend as much time reloading as shooting it.

sobek or corinth, imo. both can headshot normally, therefore reward good aim. the corinth is the shotgun that handles most like a rifle. both are pretty good. corinth could use some fire rate, yes. shotguns generally go nicely with Harrow =]

On 2018-12-14 at 9:22 PM, Padre_Akais said:

Not bashing you...

I have never understood why people proceed to stack status chance on weapons with alot of it to begin with.

I use maybe (maybe)1 dual stat mod to raise status and the rest is damage and crit/crit mods.

...Everybody has their own way of building though.

Because you don’t understand how status on shotgun works?

ok quick breakdown.

normal weapon status Chance is per bullet/shot.

shotgun, more specifically pellet shotgun (so not arca plasmor) is % Chance for one pellet per shot until 100% then its every pellet.

example

99% status strum vs 100%

everytime you fire the 99% status one, that’s a 99% chance for ONE single pellet to proc a status effect

everytime you fire the 100% status Chance one that’s 100% chance for EVERY pellet to proc a status effect

so you go from 1 status proc, to over 12 per trigger pull, but this ONLY works before multishot, 100% chance with multishot mods doesn’t count, you need to remove multishot mods from the gun, and make sure you have 100% status BEFORE equipping multishot mods.

On 2018-12-14 at 4:22 PM, Padre_Akais said:

Not bashing you...

I have never understood why people proceed to stack status chance on weapons with alot of it to begin with.

I use maybe (maybe)1 dual stat mod to raise status and the rest is damage and crit/crit mods.

...Everybody has their own way of building though.

With pellet shotguns getting to 100% status chance before multishot means every pellet will inflict a status. Without getting to that number it does a division formula between the pellets. 

So if you have a shotgun that can get to 100% status you 100% should build it that way.

If you cannot get to 100% it probably doesn't make sense to build status at all.

Of the list given the boar prime would be the weapon I most use. Having said that I do so because I have a banging riven. (Damage Multishot)

With rivens not factored into the consideration Vaykor Hek. It's a better crit shotgun than Corinth or Strun Wraith. And Corinth and Struns reloads suck.  Vaykor also heals you which can't be undervalued and with the addition of hunter munition and vigilante armaments a crit shotgun with a lot of base damage and a lot of pellets can be turned into a bleed machine. If you build it for viral with the dual status mods,and focus everything else into damage,multishot and hunter munitions it's pretty mean.

Strun Wraith is very good but it's big claim to fame is it's riven dispo so taking that out than I don't even think it's competitive. It can get to 100% status has just enough crit to be worth bothering to build for crit. It's got the same amount of base damage per pellet as the boar prime but it's slower fire rate and exceptionally slow reload speed is always going to keep it from being in my top tier. Having said that it does have a high riven dispo and because of that you can solve those problem areas,slow reload,slow firerate, the fact that shotgun crit chance mods suck. It can make up for all of that stuff.

But by the same token if you look at it's riven dispo you have to take the others in and a dual crit hek riven post the dispo increase can turn the hek into a monster. Even middling boar rivens can turn the prime into one of the fastest time to kill weapons in the game. 

Astilla, Plasmor,and Phantasma also should be considered if you are going to have a conversation about shotguns in the game. Frankly boar prime is the one most people wouldn't put on the last.

22 minutes ago, zornyan said:

Because you don’t understand how status on shotgun works?

ok quick breakdown.

normal weapon status Chance is per bullet/shot.

shotgun, more specifically pellet shotgun (so not arca plasmor) is % Chance for one pellet per shot until 100% then its every pellet.

example

99% status strum vs 100%

everytime you fire the 99% status one, that’s a 99% chance for ONE single pellet to proc a status effect

everytime you fire the 100% status Chance one that’s 100% chance for EVERY pellet to proc a status effect

so you go from 1 status proc, to over 12 per trigger pull, but this ONLY works before multishot, 100% chance with multishot mods doesn’t count, you need to remove multishot mods from the gun, and make sure you have 100% status BEFORE equipping multishot mods.

Nope,  I'm quite familiar Bud.