Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Newish to the game, is this AoE "meta" the norm?

SinfulSpaceGoat

I've been playing the game for a few days now, leveling weapons and following the advice of some veteran friends. Such as building a Hek. Which completely trivialized the game to an almost laughable degree at such a low rank.

My friends tell me the game gets harder and the frame you use becomes more dependable in the future, but even when they bring me along to their 50+ missions, all I ever see them do is use massive AoE beam weapons and polearms, rarely ever aside from a few defense abilities for objectives here and there do I ever see a frame matter.

Unless it's a DPS frame with the pure intention of just AoE killing everything before its even in your sight.

I really like this game, and i'm enjoying it, I just feel like the massive focus on AoE from everyone really makes the game boring at times. You have all these cool mechanics and frames but you rarely use them it seems.

Edited by SinfulSpaceGoat

5 minutes ago, SinfulSpaceGoat said:

I've been playing the game for a few days now, leveling weapons and following the advice of some veteran friends. Such as building a Hek. Which completely trivialized the game to an almost laughable degree at such a low rank.

My friends tell me the game gets harder and the frame you use becomes more dependable in the future, but even when they bring me along to their 50+ missions, all I ever see them do is use massive AoE beam wepaons and polearms, rarely ever aside from a few defense abilities for objectives here and there do I ever see a frame matter.

Unless it's a DPS frame with the pure intention of just AoE killing everything before its even in your sight.

I really like this game, and i'm enjoying it, I just feel like the massive focus on AoE from everyone really makes the game boring at times. You have all these cool mechanics and frames but you rarely use them it seems.

lv50 to a "veteran" is nothing. If you have several of them in your party then yeah, you'll have gameplay pretty much like this all the time. The "hard" part for experienced players begins waay over lv50 enemies, and even that can be trivialized by a well tought out gear and frame selection. Warframe is much like about getting godlike and collecting stuff. 🙂

Edited by TBone142

enemies are always in swarms, so people tend to gravitate to things that can slaughter entire hordes at once, yeah. I wouldn't say frames never matter in high level content, though; there's plenty of frames people use TO completely stun or slaughter entire rooms at once with a couple button presses.

Sadly, that's what the game has grown into over the years. Only way you're going to tap into the real value of the game is if you make an effort to stay away from all of that.

Your best bet if you really want to enjoy the actual gameplay and not the rewards is to isolate yourself from the majority of players.

If you run in META groups, you will experience this the entire time you play. 

The game is horde based, so AoE tends to be the norm just because of the swarms of enemies we have to clear out. Get more than one meta frame on a team, especially if its just level 50, and yeah, you get snoozeville for about half the team.

Цитата

Name one.

Also frames are used just as much anyway.

When I first started, there were many more people using Kunia and Bows to Target the enemeis and pin them to walls. What happens is the pinning does nothing to the game so it wears off and we just destroy everything nowadays 

Imagine if you pinned the Heavy unit to the wall and the lesser looked at it and started to run away? The more that get away from you, the bigger chance a mini boss will be delpoyed to the area. This is one of the reasons I play Nekros- Terrify and watch them run.

Imagine if Valk pounced on a for and the others around dropped their guns and started back peddling to get away. But they just keep coming for you non stop.

The Speakers Drones are supposed to give the Grinny a morale boost....but I have never seen the difference. The map messes up and we pop it and wipe out the room. Would be nice if the Frames got confused for a bit, out buttons got mixed up, powers locked out, more unable to use weapons for a few seconds....but we barely get that. Players get either major hit by Toxic or slowed by Cold or Energy leeched.....and that is what they call annoying.

So they wipe everything out before it gets in the same area. And it becomes the norm.

Change your style of play once in a while. Do SPY or Exterminate while not being seen. Snipe from far away and see how far you can get before the alarm gets hit. Do not fly through the missions....play mini contest such as using a Prime bow who can get the most headshots or Status Only kills. It's your game, play it your way or go with the mob.

Play on.....

9 minutes ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

Excuse me? I've signed up 4 years ago and the game been like that since my start. That's literally the reason of this power fantasy game. I enjoy it.

Imagine picking off every single enemy of 200 in a sortie exterminate with a dagger or a sniper only to end up having another anasa

14 minutes ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

Excuse me? I've signed up 4 years ago and the game been like that since my start. That's literally the reason of this power fantasy game. I enjoy it.

Here we go again, "power fantasy game".

Was it designed to be a "power fantasy game", or did players turn it into one by obsessing about the lowest input for the highest value?

3 minutes ago, Flandyrll said:

Here we go again, "power fantasy game".

Was it designed to be a "power fantasy game", or did players turn it into one by obsessing about the lowest input for the highest value?

This.

I really enjoy watching videos when players were running away from Vor through hallways using every bullet on him... horror genre at its best. 

And with recent discussion Stalker being something to fear.. and even being added to the game without it being mentioned in patch notes. But now theres no mystery to him and his powers are trivialized.

37 minutes ago, (NSW)Evilpricetag said:

All the weapon nerfs seem to gravitate towards aoe types lol

-Synoid Simular

-Tonkor

-Ogris - yea Ogris was op at one point.

just to name a few.

Multishot Ogris on ODD was the meta for a long time lol

Insanely boring but it worked til W30. 

If you dont like that kind of play, you can still make your own playstyle.. me personally, usually i did solo mission with a sybaris prime/bow/any other precision weapon and see how many headshot i can land without any cc, my target was almost a 1/3 of my kill.. just make your own challenge if you dont like this meta..

45 minutes ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

Look at toroid farming.. which is required for fortuna part 2. Play it only with a dagger without CL, no CC and no other DMG output and then tell me how fun it is.

toroid farming does not seem to actually be required for part 2,  orb heists are just going to drop them, they're just trying to trick people into doing farming now for no reason.

Still, while it's an extreme example, there's still some accuracy; you can try to play however you want, but a lot of content and mission types are really not well suited for trying to do things that DON'T let you rapidly kill large amounts of enemies. Defense would take forever, survival might just fail. Though you still don't explicitly NEED AOE effects, you certainly need to be able to at least kill individual enemies near instantly.

Not everything, though. you can always run exterminates at whatever pace you want.

Edited by OvisCaedo

1 hour ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

Look at toroid farming.. which is required for fortuna part 2. Play it only with a dagger without CL, no CC and no other DMG output and then tell me how fun it is.

While you might not be able to comprehend it, there are things between 0 and 100.

OP doesn't like the fact that a lot of gameplay, especially in the late game eventually devolves into using nothing but the Ignis or standing in the middle of the room and pressing a few buttons every so often. This sentiment is shared among other players. There is something that exists between your exaggerated claim and what his friends have been dragging him through but as I've said initially, the only way to get that is to isolate yourself from almost everyone else. It only takes a single person to shift the field of play over to one extreme.

Even in the case of Toroid Farming, there is mashing abilities with Zenurik to disable everything that isn't immune and holding down LMB with an Ignis all the time and there is using more conventional weaponry and decisively using abilities when necessary. People like you find the former to be fun, people like me prefer the latter because there's more emphasis on execution. Go spend 20 minutes in the Simulcrum doing what you're doing in regular missions and tell me if you're having fun.

5 hours ago, SinfulSpaceGoat said:

My friends tell me the game gets harder and the frame you use becomes more dependable in the future, but even when they bring me along to their 50+ missions, all I ever see them do is use massive AoE beam weapons and polearms, rarely ever aside from a few defense abilities for objectives here and there do I ever see a frame matter.

You haven’t gotten close to the point where the maturity of your Mod library for both frames and weapons creates a paradigm shift in Warframe tactics, strategy, and weapon synergy.

Your clanmates are carrying you.  Over the next 300 hours, you will experience the “one-shorted” phenomenon and realize that it becomes an entirely different experience as you move toward level 100 enemies.  It’s quite fun, frenetic, kinetic, and powerful.

Deus Ex this isn’t...

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

the game has always been a power fantasy game since its inception, that's why frames have abilities. as for AOE weapons and gameplay, that is where youll end up whether or not you want to unless you just want to play exterminate, spy or capture missions. if this horde type, aoe killing  chaotic style of gameplay is not to your liking then avoid endurance type missions.

eventually you will end up playing the aoe type style, the game will force you to so no sense in thinking other wise. naysayers and tryhards will  find all sorts of excuses but they too will have to face reality.

Edited by ranks21

10 minutes ago, Flandyrll said:

While you might not be able to comprehend it, there are things between 0 and 100.

OP doesn't like the fact that a lot of gameplay, especially in the late game eventually devolves into using nothing but the Ignis or standing in the middle of the room and pressing a few buttons every so often. This sentiment is shared among other players. There is something that exists between your exaggerated claim and what his friends have been dragging him through but as I've said initially, the only way to get that is to isolate yourself from almost everyone else. It only takes a single person to shift the field of play over to one extreme.

Even in the case of Toroid Farming, there is mashing abilities with Zenurik to disable everything that isn't immune and holding down LMB with an Ignis all the time and there is using more conventional weaponry and decisively using abilities when necessary. People like you find the former to be fun, people like me prefer the latter because there's more emphasis on execution. Go spend 20 minutes in the Simulcrum doing what you're doing in regular missions and tell me if you're having fun.

There is some truth to this point...SOME.

But do not be dissuaded by all the wonderful things the game offers.

Some people have it programmed into their DNA to cheese for Max results at the expense of any fun whatsoever so they can be in the 2% because they see doing 2-3 hour runs as an achievement or a necessity.

The beauty of Warframe is choice.

Make the experience your own and enjoy it.  DE gives us so many ways to do it.

Dont become Slave to the META and then complain about the choice to do so.

Op, you should get Banshee Prime, it was vaulted just recently but its price shouldn't be too high yet.

Just get a good sniper or bow and forget Sound Quake exists.

Farm Harrow, it's worth every second of pain you have to endure in Defection with its horrible RNG.

That’s not totally true. In every mmo AoE is the META way to deal with adds and low-level mobs, where single target is most used to deal with bosses. Same things with ranged and melee, you pay distance with lower dps, both in AoE and single target.

now, there are few bosses in WF, but there are. In eidolon hunt the META is an overbuffed sniper rifle (and this is just due to the fact the eidolon’s hitboxes are above the ground, because if it would be melee-able, meta would very likely be overbuffed melee). It’s likely that the new coming orb valley boss is going to be similar to the eidolons, in regard of meta.

there are even mini bosses and they spawn during mission (like the noxs) but due to power creep you won’t need single target to deal with them.

Edited by Rakean1993

1 hour ago, ChaosSabre said:

It's a horde game. Of course good AOE will be the best every time.

It's a problem DE made by themselves.

/thread

I already went through experimentation with all the slower-paced equipment on my way to MR 26. Why should I use inferior gear when I put hundreds of hours into getting the OP stuff? It's more the games fault that I can't use the OP stuff to its fullest potential anywhere.

You started a few days ago and you are playing with your high level friends. That is the worst thing you can do in this game.

I really recommend you either play with people at your level, or better yet try to finish the star chart and quests on your own.

Your friends, as helpful as they may seem, are going to ruin your experience by carrying you all the way.