The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rolling And Invincibility Frames

Diun

When I play Warframe, my favorite part is all the really cool, athletic abilities the warframes can do. Over all the other maneuvers, I like the sprint key roll the most.

I don't see many people use it, though. I think that is because the roll isn't an efficient move; rolling does not significantly move the player and also restricts weapon firing while the warframe rolls. Many players just sprint or slide to position themselves, both of which have the benefit of retaining the ability to shoot and a firmer control over where they end up.

Instead of just a tool to relocate player's warframes, a task usually better performed by the other maneuvers, I think rolling should have another combat perk. The sprint key roll would see more use and make Warframe's gameplay deeper if every form of the sprint key roll had invincibility frames.  Dodging projectile fire, shockwave attacks and melee with i-framed rolls would give players more choice during fights, feel empowering and, frankly, look pretty smooth.

its not easy to exploit I fyou do it right. MH3 had this and it worked perfectly. the secret? the timeframe was extremely small, only a couple frames. That way rolling can still be useful (dodging shockwaves, missiles, scorpions whip things) while not being spammable and it would actually require skill (unlike most of this game

My honest thoughts are that it's not NEEDED really, and if you somehow get hit when you roll, then that's rare.

In Dark Souls, the boss' attacks are basically MADE for iFrame rolls (trust me, blocking was never the way to go), and Warframe's does not. Besides, it'll be hard iFraming bullets, ESPECIALLY hitscan weapons.

Edited by Xievie

I find myself using the sprint-key-roll quite often actually, especially right after being knocked down. A quick and instant burst of speed is the perfect to to get out of the way of a disruptors arm, for example. I have been playing this game since closed beta however, so maybe the mobility options come more naturally to me, as I have had a lot of time to use them and find where they are most useful.

I find myself using the sprint-key-roll quite often actually, especially right after being knocked down. A quick and instant burst of speed is the perfect to to get out of the way of a disruptors arm, for example. I have been playing this game since closed beta however, so maybe the mobility options come more naturally to me, as I have had a lot of time to use them and find where they are most useful.

Or I could just Zorencopter/jumpslide way further with the chance of hitting an enemy with that. Then I could proceed to unload my weapon from a safer distance.

You know, get more than just dodging an attack.

Still, I don't mind rolling having invulnerability frames, but it'll still be underused after that

My honest thoughts are that it's not NEEDED really, and if you somehow get hit when you roll, then that's rare.

In Dark Souls, the boss' attacks are basically MADE for iFrame rolls (trust me, blocking was never the way to go), and Warframe's does not. Besides, it'll be hard iFraming bullets, ESPECIALLY hitscan weapons.

I often found Blocking with either a Greatshield or the Iron Round Shield (or Black Knight Shield/Crest Shield for specific fights, like Queelag Four Kings, and Seath) to be more than enough. Well, until I finally gave the DLC a shot and the Sanctuary Guardian quickly showed me how wrong I was.

Problem with invincibility frame is the fact that it will be largely affected by lag. In single player enviromment without connectivity issue, this method is a good way to increase skill ceiling of the game since it can be timed and the window of invincibility is usually small.

When taking connectivity issue into account, WF's invincibility window will be too long and easy to abuse.

I think roll should reduce the AI accuracy instead of granting invincibility roll, depend on the distance from the AI. At long range you better use sprint to cover to avoid damage, at close range then use sprint roll.

Another movent that can be used is parry. A forgotten movement.

remove hitscan and make all weapons have at least some degree of fly time?

I think roll should reduce the AI accuracy instead of granting invincibility roll, depend on the distance from the AI. At long range you better use sprint to cover to avoid damage, at close range then use sprint roll.

If anything, the enemy's tracking of the target player could be a bit slower during the targeted player's roll. 

But I think invincibility frames on rolling would be better. It's very rewarding when when you avoid heavy damage from a strong attack due to a successful timing of a roll/dodge. It could cost some stamina when executed and stamina does not regenerate until the roll animation is complete.  Also like you mentioned, a short time of invincibility that starts at the beginning of the roll.

As for your concern on lag, yeah,  maybe.  Not sure what exactly is going to happen with the potential effects of lag, but hopefully it won't be much of a problem for both the host's and client's side.

remove hitscan and make all weapons have at least some degree of fly time?

Don't change the whole game for just one little mechanic. 

Plus I bet nobody besides advanced players will actually make use of it since it would be extremely situational and difficult to pull off.