Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts on a rework idea for shields

(PSN)Pizza_Parker

Inb4: i am not trying to change anything in the game, thats why i am on general discussion, just discussing an idea.

Shields are pretty much useless at high levels, and i was thinking:

What if when you suffered too much damage (at the point of bypassing your shield and damaging your health) while having shields on you could ignore the damage made to your health?

Example:

Currently: 200 shield and 100 health > enemy deals 300 damage > death.

Idea: 200 shield and 100 health > enemy deals 300 damage > only 100 health left.

I think the only situation were this would be too OP would be against a single bombard, but to be honest i rarely see them alone.

This is a form of shield gating. The devs have tried it and it makes literally no change to the game. If there is a situation where one bullet would kill you, it would only make it so the second would instead.

Adding in things like I-frames to the trigger of the shield-gate alters the game to a point I don't feel the players have enough of an overview of the game to tell DE that it would work for Warframe.

I'd more have the idea that shields would have their own static/linearly scaling (e.g. 7-10% base with 1% extra DR per 100-200 shields past 500) damage reduction that would remain unmoddable and unaffected by armor, which would give shield heavy frames a boost along with more balanced frames while not touching or indirectly buffing frames that rely more heavily on on Health+Armor to live.

15 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

This is a form of shield gating. The devs have tried it and it makes literally no change to the game. If there is a situation where one bullet would kill you, it would only make it so the second would instead.

Adding in things like I-frames to the trigger of the shield-gate alters the game to a point I don't feel the players have enough of an overview of the game to tell DE that it would work for Warframe.

I agree, it wouldnt help against enemies with rifles, but i think it would take away alot of the frustrations of being suddently blown away by bombards out of nowhere (lets not forget that missiles track you, and thats hell for a low health frame), and it makes shield a tiny bit usefull instead of completely useless.

Edited by (PS4)Pizza_Parker

45 minutes ago, (PS4)Pizza_Parker said:

I agree, it wouldnt help against enemies with rifles, but i think it would take away alot of the frustrations of being suddently blown away by bombards out of nowhere (lets not forget that missiles track you, and thats hell for a low health frame), and it makes shield a tiny bit usefull instead of completely useless.

The thing is that now the community will complain that not enough was done to help shields. 99% of the players won't feel the difference (as DE tested), so why bother adding a mechanic that barely anyone will notice in the first place?

Simply just add a armor mod for shields that can't be overlapped with health armor. 

And maybe a new mechanic where it's based on distance of attack as well instead of a flat amount like armor. So it's on par with armor in the right scenario. But much weaker otherwise.

Tight shields protect better at close range where max armor value looses effectiveness past say 10m to nothing at 30m.

And Expanded shields. Where armor doesn't apply tell past 30m and maxes near 100m.

What would be a nice feature in Warframe is how EvE did their mechanics, where each race and faction had different "perks". Amarr are the armor tanking/laser kings. Caldari the shield tanking/missile kings. Gallente is the armor tanking/drone kings. Minmatar balanced tanking/projectile (cannons and machine gun) kings.

In Warframe that would be certain classes would be health tanks (tank/melee flavor)/ shield tanks (caster flavor)/ drone-sentinel-companion kings (hunter flavor).

Makes it easier to understand for players who play different games and their preferences of playing MMORPGs. Soloers would love the hunter flavor. Casters would love the whole b;ue mana feel. Tanks and melee classes will appreciate no shields knowing they are armor heavy classes.