FoxFX

[Warframe Ability Suggestion] Adding Experimental Component for Chroma's 1 and 4 {Chromatic Breath; "Exalted Jaw"}

Recommended Posts

This idea I made was done to minimally change much of what Chroma can do and to simply add a component which would improve the strength of Spectral Scream and Effigy as an optional offensive option. Thus, I wish to keep the effects of Elemental Ward and Vex Armor as those two are already decent support abilities.

The overall goal for this thread is to suggest one addition to Chroma to limit the amount of changes needed to work on the community's outlook on Chroma's current position. There will also be an added perk suggested for Spectral Scream with this new Chroma component to it.

 

PROBLEM BEING ADDRESSED

  • The consistent argument over the issues of Chroma's 1st and 4th ability in terms of their striking power.
  • Create some more welcoming opportunities to use Chroma's other elements (Cold and Heat are at this point some of the more used elements Chroma users use today due to sustainability)

EXPERIMENTAL SOLUTIONS INSIDE THE SPOILER TAB

Spoiler

 

EXPERIMENTAL CONCEPT {CHROMATIC BREATH}

Quote

EXPERIMENTAL OPTION #1 for CHROMA's 1st/4th ABILITES: CHROMATIC BREATH WEAPON

[Chromatic Breath] is a Primary Weapon that is installed in the jaw of Chroma as a modifiable weapon much like the Exalted Weapons of other Warframes. Chroma's [Chromatic Breath] affects the damage of Chroma's Spectral Scream and Effigy.

[Stats of Chromatic Breath]

Weapon Type: Primary

Firing Type: Continuous Beam [Spectral Scream], Turret [Effigy]

Range Limit: 15 m [Spectral Scream], 20 m [Effigy]

Noise Level: Alarming

Fire Rate: 8 ticks per second

Critical Multiplier/Rate: 2.0x/20%

Status Chance: 30%

Punch-Through: (Infinite punch-through against bodies)

Damage200 {Heat, Cold, Toxic, Electric} [Spectral Scream]

                400 {Heat, Cold, Toxic, Electric} [Effigy]

 

Element based on Chroma's color. There was an idea where I wanted to introduce changing the element of Chroma's attack within Chromatic Breath's UI instead so that Chroma's fashion wouldn't be too hampered to what elements Chroma can use.

Modding [Chromatic Breath] can be treated much like modding any Primary. A Chroma can enter missions breathing in Corrosive/Blast from Spectral Scream and Effigy. This would create some fun modding options, though this does take away some of his "pure elemental dragon" gimmick away. Other options for modding are still being experimented on.

 

NEW ADDITION TO [SPECTRAL SCREAM] WITH THIS {CHROMATIC BREATH}

Quote

Enemies killed by Spectral Scream have a chance to drop Health Orbs

 

REASONING BEHIND THESE IDEAS

Quote

With this "exalted breath" idea for Chroma, you would have an ability that has a more striking power than that of the Ignis Wraith that would scale a lot more against a larger range of enemy levels due to the tankiness of Chroma and the use of Vex Armor and Elemental Ward. 

The addition of having Spectral Scream dropping Health orbs on enemies killed by the ability creates the illusion of Chroma's breath preparing his own dinner with his breath attacks. Dragons especially in Dungeons and Dragons'  Chromatic Dragons mythos are described to be human-eating evil creatures. The Health Orb suggestion would add in some survivability across all the elements of Chroma.

 

ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES

Quote

[+] Chromatic Breath improves the punching power of Chroma's Spectral Scream and Effigy expressing a bit more of the striking force of actual dragons

[+] Spectral Scream dropping Health Orbs from enemy kills creates a survivability option across all elements of Chroma for players to experiment with

[+] Creates an opportunity for a more diverse use of Chroma across being famous for "Eidolon Hunting"

[-] I am suggesting an Exalted Weapon for Chroma which a lot of community members would interject "not every Warframe needs Exalted Weapons"

[-] This idea for "Chromatic Breath" weapon does steer away a bit from Chroma being solely one elemental-based

[-] There are other potential options to consider improving relevance to use all of Chroma's elements besides Fire and Cold

 

 

 

TLDR

  • Add an "Exalted Jaw" Primary Weapon to Chroma improving the damage of Spectral Scream and Effigy
  • Add "Spectral Scream kills have a chance to drop Health Orbs" to introduce new sustainability through all 4 of Chroma's elemental styles

Please discuss what are your thoughts on Chroma's Spectral Scream and Effigy.

Edited by FoxFX
  • Like 1
  • Satisfied 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand if you feel this maybe too long for some of you to read. Once I start to feel better and more composed I will work on a shorter version of this idea for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SOME PERSONAL THOUGHTS ON CHROMA AS OF NOW

I cannot deny the buff potential Chroma has now as a team-support Warframe, though I do wonder if his previous changes were done simply to inspire a bit more uses out of him in more organized play in harder content. By the time Eidolons came into the picture, things changed with Chroma. Granted there are other Warframes that can buff damage to a more convenient degree compared to Chroma, all that I see of Chroma is him being just a totem to buff his allies with.

If there is a different playstyle that would make Chroma shine out from the other Warframes that can damage-buff like him, I gather improving his dragon-breathing powers would be the best way to go about it.

This is part of the reason I designed this "Chromatic Breath Exalted Weapon" idea for Chroma and added the perk to Spectral Scream to drop health Orbs on enemies killed by it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FoxFX said:

SOME PERSONAL THOUGHTS ON CHROMA AS OF NOW

I cannot deny the buff potential Chroma has now as a team-support Warframe, though I do wonder if his previous changes were done simply to inspire a bit more uses out of him in more organized play in harder content. By the time Eidolons came into the picture, things changed with Chroma. Granted there are other Warframes that can buff damage to a more convenient degree compared to Chroma, all that I see of Chroma is him being just a totem to buff his allies with.

If there is a different playstyle that would make Chroma shine out from the other Warframes that can damage-buff like him, I gather improving his dragon-breathing powers would be the best way to go about it.

This is part of the reason I designed this "Chromatic Breath Exalted Weapon" idea for Chroma and added the perk to Spectral Scream to drop health Orbs on enemies killed by it.

Currently, Chroma feels far more squishy than he used to, probably due to stripping off the armor scaling mods from Vex Armor, so only power strength matters on him now.  Aside from that, he really feels boring to play, Vex Armor's kind of wonky and has been nerfed severely (which is also why Chroma's survivability is in the bin now), Elemental Ward is nice, but cannot save him, and his 1 and 4 may as well not exist.

 

I definitely do want to see a different first and fourth ability on Chroma, an exalted breath weapon that functions like Garuda's claws is honestly what I'd prefer, with an ability to boost it's effectiveness.  Chroma really lacks an ability that is active, he's pretty much all gunplay as literally all of his abilities are duration based and thus you only need to pay attention to them when they're about to expire or eat all your energy.  I feel like Chroma needs some kind of CC that gives him a bit of a more active play style.  Maybe a Roar that stuns enemies like the Effigy does (since literally nobody likes the Effigy), with some kind of damage bonus on said stunned for a period after the stun ends (with a temporary bonus on his exalted weapon for a decent duration).  I believe his 4 should be something that makes Chroma feel more dragon like, perhaps an alternative combat-mode like what Titana has where Chroma turns into some kind of creature with a varied playstyle that's reliant on the exalted weapon (or an additional one for claws, like Titana has) so he has something different he can do besides shoot good.  Lastly, Chroma has no passive, period.  In the more modern games where Passives tend to be pretty great, he literally doesn't have one.  Personally, I think that it should be something that plays into his dragon theme, something like the ability to more easily find Ayatan/Rare Crates/Wisps/Toroids by scent (like the Synthesis markers), or an ability that protects chroma against the elements of his current color (and it's derived elements), and perhaps let Chroma switch on the fly like Equinox can (Maybe by holding down the elemental ward button).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ReshyShira said:

Currently, Chroma feels far more squishy than he used to, probably due to stripping off the armor scaling mods from Vex Armor, so only power strength matters on him now.  Aside from that, he really feels boring to play, Vex Armor's kind of wonky and has been nerfed severely (which is also why Chroma's survivability is in the bin now), Elemental Ward is nice, but cannot save him, and his 1 and 4 may as well not exist.

 

I definitely do want to see a different first and fourth ability on Chroma, an exalted breath weapon that functions like Garuda's claws is honestly what I'd prefer, with an ability to boost it's effectiveness.  Chroma really lacks an ability that is active, he's pretty much all gunplay as literally all of his abilities are duration based and thus you only need to pay attention to them when they're about to expire or eat all your energy.  I feel like Chroma needs some kind of CC that gives him a bit of a more active play style.  Maybe a Roar that stuns enemies like the Effigy does (since literally nobody likes the Effigy), with some kind of damage bonus on said stunned for a period after the stun ends (with a temporary bonus on his exalted weapon for a decent duration).  I believe his 4 should be something that makes Chroma feel more dragon like, perhaps an alternative combat-mode like what Titana has where Chroma turns into some kind of creature with a varied playstyle that's reliant on the exalted weapon (or an additional one for claws, like Titana has) so he has something different he can do besides shoot good.  Lastly, Chroma has no passive, period.  In the more modern games where Passives tend to be pretty great, he literally doesn't have one.  Personally, I think that it should be something that plays into his dragon theme, something like the ability to more easily find Ayatan/Rare Crates/Wisps/Toroids by scent (like the Synthesis markers), or an ability that protects chroma against the elements of his current color (and it's derived elements), and perhaps let Chroma switch on the fly like Equinox can (Maybe by holding down the elemental ward button).

 

I'm glad you shared your thoughts on Chroma here. Though any suggestion to change his 4th would be rather tricky considering he is the only Warframe that has a "self-armor" stripping function that sets himself way apart from the others. Ability-wise, Chroma is yet to be there but there are ways that he can be changed for that to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, FoxFX said:

 

I'm glad you shared your thoughts on Chroma here. Though any suggestion to change his 4th would be rather tricky considering he is the only Warframe that has a "self-armor" stripping function that sets himself way apart from the others. Ability-wise, Chroma is yet to be there but there are ways that he can be changed for that to happen.

His 4 is really terrible as it functions currently, stripping his own armor off is pretty much all detriment since nobody sprints in warframe with it being far slower than rolling/bullet jumping.  I'd much rather it and the 1 be thrown out entirely and retool those slots into something that makes Chroma have a more active interesting playstyle.  Right now he's kind of like a weird variation of Rhino in that he's all gunplay and tanking damage (though Rhino seems a better tank these days after the vex armor nerfs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ReshyShira said:

His 4 is really terrible as it functions currently, stripping his own armor off is pretty much all detriment since nobody sprints in warframe with it being far slower than rolling/bullet jumping.  I'd much rather it and the 1 be thrown out entirely and retool those slots into something that makes Chroma have a more active interesting playstyle.  Right now he's kind of like a weird variation of Rhino in that he's all gunplay and tanking damage (though Rhino seems a better tank these days after the vex armor nerfs).

Perhaps if stripping armor off of Chroma can grant Chroma himself +Evasion, +Reload Speed, and +Melee Attack Speed? We have seen how Reload Speed can be a great offensive utility with the release of Harrow and the use of Harrow's 2nd ability. It would make sense since stripping armor off Chroma would not just make him move faster, but also act faster too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might update the OP with adding new buffs to Chroma while Effigy is active.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FoxFX said:

Perhaps if stripping armor off of Chroma can grant Chroma himself +Evasion, +Reload Speed, and +Melee Attack Speed? We have seen how Reload Speed can be a great offensive utility with the release of Harrow and the use of Harrow's 2nd ability. It would make sense since stripping armor off Chroma would not just make him move faster, but also act faster too.

I dunno if there's any way to salvage it.  Generally speaking damage reduction > luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Onyxeagle171 said:

why tf does some people want every frame to have an exalted weapon? :facepalm:

 

I have already wrote in the OP that someone would complain about the idea of an exalted. I only wrote this as an option for Chroma, and judging from what Chroma is like now it seems like a plausible one. Unless there is something else you would like to interject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, FoxFX said:

 

I have already wrote in the OP that someone would complain about the idea of an exalted. I only wrote this as an option for Chroma, and judging from what Chroma is like now it seems like a plausible one. Unless there is something else you would like to interject.

yup, ok, in hindsight the beam concept for his four is a good idea, but not for his 1st- it's not meant to be very powerful, leave it where it is.

I would not recommend having the secondary elements on his 1, 2 and 3 though, (excluding his 4th)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Onyxeagle171 said:

yup, ok, in hindsight the beam concept for his four is a good idea, but not for his 1st- it's not meant to be very powerful, leave it where it is.

I would not recommend having the secondary elements on his 1, 2 and 3 though, (excluding his 4th)

You wish to leave Chroma's 1st as it is now or have it be something else entirely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FoxFX said:

You wish to leave Chroma's 1st as it is now or have it be something else entirely?

hmm, not sure, a different thing would be great, but I don't think it should be as good- or even the same- as the proposed 4th

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a bit skeptical, but removing Chroma's pelt gimmick would be a risky suggestion after thinking things over. But if there is that option, I will be preparing the next writeup on what a new 4th and 1st can be like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been contemplating on turning Chroma's 1st into an instant AOE projectile instead of the beam-weapon channeling ability it is now. It comes with a sort of "Inhale/Exhale" function for Chroma to use in game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CHROMA FIELD MECHANIC IDEA

https://wallpapercave.com/wp/uXQRIr9.jpg

I have discussed over an idea of one of Chroma's abilities creating "Elemental Fields" that Chroma himself creates with one of his breath attacks. Through the power of abilities like Elemental Ward, a special synergy could occur where Chroma gains something entirely fitting with his theme but different all together. Details on this will be posted in a new thread in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With little to no talk or discussion on this idea, I will be preparing a new thread on other Warframe Articles to discuss certain problems and some solutions which can be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-12-20 at 4:16 AM, Onyxeagle171 said:

why tf do people want every frame to have an exalted weapon? :facepalm:

Because Chroma's one is basically an exalted weapon you cannot mod?

 

On 2018-12-21 at 9:29 AM, FoxFX said:

I am a bit skeptical, but removing Chroma's pelt gimmick would be a risky suggestion after thinking things over. But if there is that option, I will be preparing the next writeup on what a new 4th and 1st can be like.

Honestly, nobody uses or likes the pelt mechanic, and it just kind of dampens his dragon-like feel when he's just like "lol, I'm just a dude wearing a pelt".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-01-13 at 4:25 AM, ReshyShira said:

Because Chroma's one is basically an exalted weapon you cannot mod?

 

Honestly, nobody uses or likes the pelt mechanic, and it just kind of dampens his dragon-like feel when he's just like "lol, I'm just a dude wearing a pelt".

I'm surprised someone responded to this thread at a time I am working on a few Mission/Event/Content threads.

I'd like to take your word on the Chroma Pelt idea being very unpopular and unwanted from the community, but I still need a few more eyes on this thread and more responses to consider an alternative for Chroma's 4th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

giphy.gif

If there is something in your mind, you are free to say a few words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now