Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Rise of Anthem:- Warframe Overhaul?

(PSN)kfrancis902

2 hours ago, (PS4)kfrancis902 said:

Anthem is taking from both Destiny and Warframe to be a serious competitor, so my question is should DE start to seriously look into enemy scaling and Warframe/Operator progression. Below is my case.

Anthem has just revealed in my opinion its final piece to its puzzle which has now made it a legitimate threat to both Warframe and Desiny.

1. Weapons and Components (mods) will have base stats but will have random rolls

2. There leveling will be similar to Destiny's, a Pilot Level and a Gear Level by which the  type of content you can accomplish will be based on your Gear level.

The two main issues for Warframe in my opinion has always been rewards and endgame content.

1. Jesus god no, are you out of your mind? You can't just borrow mechanics like that. Think about how that would affect the modding system. Think about weapons with stat values that actually matter, like almost any shotgun.

2. Why? This mechanic exists in Destiny to control the pace at which a player can progress and what activities they can do. In WF, this would prevent you from getting mods from missions you can completely trivialize, but aren't allowed to do because an arbitrary value isn't high enough. It also restricts equipment to specific levels, which no. No. Absolutely no.

The mechanics you are describing are not inherently bad. But they would make WF's faults ten times worse. The combat is shallow, and the missions are boring. You can't fix that by moving numbers around or gating throwaway content.

I cannot wrap my head around this way of thinking. It makes sense for a developer, but what brainworm could make a person care about this? If you think a game is fun, play it. If you think two games are fun, play them both. It's not #*!%ing sports teams.

~~~

And because I'm inevitably going to be criticized for criticizing an idea while having nothing to contribute myself... Wall of text incoming. The old enemies are the problem. They need to be replaced. New animations, new behaviors, new attacks. Every action should be distinct and stand out in a crowd.

Example: Scorpion. It throws a physics-defying grapple, or runs at you and slowly swings its sword like it's never held one before. Suggestion: Scorpion retains its whip, but it has a slow windup and incredibly fast deployment. It gains an evasive ability, similar to Manics, but less annoying. When shot, it will quickstep side-to-side, but becomes unable to act for a second after each use. It can only do this up to three times in a row, then must wait 5 seconds before doing it again. It gains a rushing melee attack that moves toward the player at high speed, with a dramatic delay just before it connects, giving the player time to react.

Enemy overhauls like this would make combat intense and enjoyable, instead of the Dynasty Warriors mook steamroller we have currently. Fortuna is a great step forward in this regard, its enemies are diverse in more ways than their gun. We also need more Nox-like miniboss enemies. Nullifiers are alright (except for their sniper death-on-a-dice-roll BS), but imo Nox are more enjoyable to fight. They take a serious beating, and their damage partially ignores armor so they can even threaten certain tanks if ignored. Their helmet SFX are also very gratifying. Hyenas are good too. They don't take much damage, but they are highly evasive and close quickly, making them tricky to target without anticipatory footwork. The spiders... well, the big ones are threatening, but the flesh-looking ones don't have enough health to threaten, what with being such a delicious meaty target. DE needs to apply this logic to older factions.

I would also like superbosses. Hear me out. Imagine a Grineer in a mech about 5m tall, similar to Hek's Terra frame but more humanoid. It moves slowly and has shoulder cannons and wrist-mounted hellfire rockets, a laser, etc. Just a ton of artillery. The frame itself has so much armor it's damn near invincible, and immune to armor removal. Once the weapons are destroyed, it will suddenly become very fast, rushing between players with its rear jets and attempting to melee and grab with ragdolls. At this stage its armor is severely reduced, and it becomes vulnerable to corrosive procs. The whole fight would only take around 60-80sec, but it would totally change the pace of combat. It would spawn under certain uncommon circumstances, so you wouldn't see it very often. More stuff like this would just make the combat more dynamic and enjoyable.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Nah, they've already confirmed there will be no p2w. First off, the game will be purely pve. No pvp at all. Second, anything that makes you stronger is only obtainable through farming it in game. Microtransaction will only be for cosmetics. Warframe is more pay2win than Anthem will be (since you can still buy frames and weapons in Warframe). 

The game will however be full priced. And future expansions will also have to be purchased, ala Warcraft, Destiny, etc. 

After all the dirty stuff EA pulled off I don't believe a thing.

Don't forget because of EA over the top loot boxes, they [lootboxes] are already banned in the Netherlands and Belgium and it's being taken up as an issue in entire EU. 

This is the most greedy company out there. Don't believe a word, don't pre-order and don't buy early. Wait 2 weeks or a month, wait for good youtube reviews (not game journalist ones like IGN, but real gamers) and then decision should be made. 

People need to stop trusting EA, stop pre-ordering and allowing micro transactions in full priced games, otherwise they will not change and keep on sucking peoples money from full priced AAA games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spyroxion said:

After all the dirty stuff EA pulled off I don't believe a thing.

Don't forget because of EA over the top loot boxes, they [lootboxes] are already banned in the Netherlands and Belgium and it's being taken up as an issue in entire EU. 

This is the most greedy company out there. Don't believe a word, don't pre-order and don't buy early. Wait 2 weeks or a month, wait for good youtube reviews (not game journalist ones like IGN, but real gamers) and then decision should be made. 

People need to stop trusting EA, stop pre-ordering and allowing micro transactions in full priced games, otherwise they will not change and keep on sucking peoples money from full priced AAA games.

I never pre-order anything. I have no intention on buying Anthem until it's released. Though I don't trust YouTubers any more or less than game journalist. I trust my own judgment and if a game looks good I will buy it, regardless of what some random person on YouTube says. At the end of the day we are talking about $60. It's hardly a fortune.

• Like 2

Just now, rune_me said:

I never pre-order anything. I have no intention on buying Anthem until it's released. Though I don't trust YouTubers any more or less than game journalist. I trust my own judgment and if a game looks good I will buy it, regardless of what some random person on YouTube says. At the end of the day we are talking about $60. It's hardly a fortune.

Well maybe you just need to find good youtuber who brings up topics of the game that interests you, it can be helpful.

And thing is, "it's not about money. It's about sending the message". While you think it's fine, it's just 60$, but this money still goes to their company and the more people act with this attitude, the more it shows to company that people will still be buying their stuff and that they can still make money even if their product is not the quality it's supposed to be. Companies like EA will not change until players will give big hit to their wallets. And as long as sh*t like FIFA sells every year and makes them hundreds of millions, why should they bother into investing into something bigger?

1 minute ago, spyroxion said:

Well maybe you just need to find good youtuber who brings up topics of the game that interests you, it can be helpful.

And thing is, "it's not about money. It's about sending the message". While you think it's fine, it's just 60$, but this money still goes to their company and the more people act with this attitude, the more it shows to company that people will still be buying their stuff and that they can still make money even if their product is not the quality it's supposed to be. Companies like EA will not change until players will give big hit to their wallets. And as long as sh*t like FIFA sells every year and makes them hundreds of millions, why should they bother into investing into something bigger?

To me it's just a game. I can't and won't get political about it. If I had to stop spending money on any company that I thought was doing unethical things, I would have to cancel my internet subscription, get rid of all my electronics and move into a shed in the woods and never have contact with civilization again. Yeah, I can't live that way.

Anthem has been a little underwhelming thus far. i think a lot of limits are going to be applied to both character creation and play-style customization. i dont think you can pilot the storm and colossus javelins without being a male character, for example. i also dont think there would be any more melee weapons other than each of the Javelin's personal melee weapons.

its also EA. so it is very likely that the game will be lacking in content while also riddled with plot-holes. EA has a sneaky way of increasing their game's longevity by releasing an unfinished versions at full price and then selling the rest of the content that really should be in the game at release.

so unless the game on release is riddled with content and stuff to do (i personally expect a bigger map and 2 more javelins), then this game is still going to be underwhelming.

Edited by MysticDragonMage

54 minutes ago, rune_me said:

That's what you sign up for with any non-indie game. Including Warframe. You are not here because DE likes you. They don't even know you. They have shareholders that needs pleasing, just like EA. You are here to make those shareholders money and that's it.

Obviously, except there's a fundamental difference between games made for players, and games made for shareholders. The new WoW expansion is made for shareholders. Destiny 2 was made for shareholders. You can make a game for your players, and treat them as such, and still please your shareholders. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGuyver said:

Obviously, except there's a fundamental difference between games made for players, and games made for shareholders. The new WoW expansion is made for shareholders. Destiny 2 was made for shareholders. You can make a game for your players, and treat them as such, and still please your shareholders. 

Sure. And Anthem could be such a game.

9 minutes ago, (PS4)thowed said:

You forgot the Division 2.  Your "Warframe killer" list is incomplete.

As much as I liked "The Division" talk about a game with no direction. They had three years to polish up some legit end game, itemization, variety and just failed. The 1-29 experience is pretty excellent, but if the end game of The Division (again with all that time post release) is indicative of what we can expect from Division 2...then yeah, WF is safe.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rune_me said:

To me it's just a game. I can't and won't get political about it. If I had to stop spending money on any company that I thought was doing unethical things, I would have to cancel my internet subscription, get rid of all my electronics and move into a shed in the woods and never have contact with civilization again. Yeah, I can't live that way.

Well that escalated quickly. We're talking about games, not real life utilities.

Anyhow, I could continue and go on about this but this topic is about Anthem and not EA. I'll just wait until they do quality stuff like many years ago.

16 minutes ago, SinfulSpaceGoat said:

Anthem is an EA game.

I don't expect anything other than a run of the mill live service game to get as much money as possible from people.

Pretty much what I expect as well. And pretty much what I hope. That's what Warframe is to me and what I like about Warframe. And since I've played this game to death, I'm looking for something to replace it with. Which is what I hope Anthem will be.

There is a lot Destiny can learn from Warframe. 

There is a lot Warframe can learn from Destiny. 

And most likely, there will be a lot Warframe can learn from Anthem.

Just tossing the entire game to the side and not analyzing it in comparison to Warframe is not only ignorant, but also ignoring things that could make Warframe a better game. This blind hatred for a game that is not out yet is petty, juvenile, insecure, and as mentioned earlier ignorant. 

Warframe is a very, very flawed game. That is not to say it is not great, but there is a lot Warframe could improve on. Analyzing other games' components objectively to give yourself a new context for analyzing Warframe is an invaluable asset. 

And even if a game is flawed, or even if it is as a whole just plain bad, there is nearly always something a game gets right. From what has been shown of Anthem there does seem to be quite a few systems they have put in place that are good. It does not mean the game will be good, nor that those systems could/should be one-to-one lifted to Warframe, but understanding why those systems are good is invaluable. 

/rant

Edited by DrBorris

4 hours ago, (XB1)calvina said:

Customization may be all well and good in anthem, but when was the last time EA released a game where you could earn almost all cosmetics for free?

I'm not going to spend dollars for some shiny new paintjob in Anthem when in Warframe I can buy an armor set, colour pallette, and even a deluxe skin with plat I traded from other players.

There's that, and the fact Warframe has quite a few years over most games that could be its competition. Years of changes, cosmetics, and content that a new game like Anthem would have to compete with.

I'm just hoping Anthem is good enough to be my "second home" so to speak. The Destiny series hasn't been so far as it got so damn expensive. If I just have to pay sixty for Anthem, and it's at least slightly below Warframes level of fun and engagement, I'll try it out.

Yet that's asking a lot.

50 минут назад, DrBorris сказал:

/rant

I agree that Warframe is not perfect. There is a lot of room to improvement. The day DE will become complacent or tired will be a sad day.

But I spent a year watching a game I loved decaying. Weekly updates, Devstreams, FTP, fair economy, passion that DE have for this game... compared to what happened to SWTOR - it is refreshing. And nice. Even if it probably should be the norm.

We will see, how Anthem fairs. But I think it is not unreasonable to be somewhat skeptical if EA is involved. That hatred you speak about - it is not unfounded. And mostly directed at the publisher. Well, maybe hatred is a strong word, I do not hate EA. But I do not trust them. And I am not going to waste my time and money on their games just becouse someone promised something.

Funny thing: my Warframe rose tinted glasses? I put them on after I seen what Warframe offeres in comparison to recent BW games (and other EA titles).

Edited by rand0mname
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, rand0mname said:

I agree that Warframe is not perfect. The day DE will become complacent or tired will be a sad day.

But I spent a year watching a game I loved decaying. Weekly updates, Devstreams, FTP, fair economy, passion that DE have for this game... compared to what happened to SWTOR - it is refreshing. And nice. Even if it probably should be the norm.

We will see, how Anthem fairs. But I think it is not unreasonable to be somewhat skeptical if EA is involved. That hatred you speak about - it is not unfounded. And mostly directed at the publisher.

Oh, I am extremely skeptical of Anthem, my rant was towards those "Anthem is going to suck, it doesn't matter."

The "us versus them" attitude so many of the Warframe community take towards other games that share Warframe's general genre is self defrating. If an idiot speaks words of wisdom, those words are still wise. Even if Anthem is a flop the good attributes of the game (which it most certainly will have some of) are still good ideas even though the were wrapped in a "bad" game. 

I would love to have some conversations about how Warframe and Destiny approach enemy-to-player balance and how content scales. However, this is impossible because it would be overrun with "they are completely different games, so they shouldn't be compared" which is just rediculous. A FPS can learn from a Souls-like can learn from a RTS game, of course Warframe and Destiny should be compared. 

For an example with Anthem, even if it is a failure as a full product its seamless integration of flight and on-foot combat with respect to level design is something that Warframe very well could take notes on when it comes to Archwing on open landscapes. 

Edit: And monitization is pretty much irrelevant to comparing game systems. Anthem could be an exploitative cash grab and still be a great game (that nobody should play). 

Edited by DrBorris
  • Like 4