Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Faster (Optimised) Menu Shortcuts

StarScribe

Hello everyone.

I would like to share a suggestion/opinion on a change/improvement that could be made to the Quick Menu shortcuts accessed trough "ESC" key. I believe this change would contribute to overall quality of life improvement towards user interface and make the use of the menus feel even more responsive.

I would like to suggest/recommend cutting out a lot of unnecessary camera movements/transition effects/zooming/switching and character animations while using/accessing quick menus and leave those effects for when player is not actually using the shortcuts.

Most noticeable examples are when accessing [Navigation] menu trough the "ESC" key menu.

As it stands right now "quick menu" access to [Navigation] does the following:
1- Fade screen to black.
2- Move character to a location on player ship.
3- Cause player character to perform an animation.
4- Fade screen to black (again).
5- Display the map screen.

I believe that cutting out steps 2, 3 and 4 would be a significant improvement to overall feel of using the "quick menu" shortcuts.

Similar logic should be applied to the rest of the quick menu shortcuts.

Thanks for reading~

Edited by StarScribe
Changed title to be more appropriate to topic

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with all this, and would go further. I think the whole menu system will greatly benefit from a setting: no menu transitions. Sure, seeing my dude slowly kneeling by the navigation console, then standing up, or the camera swinging around him and whatnot, all this is fun in the first hour. After that it's just a terrible annoyance as far as I'm concerned, and I hate wasting all that time just ildly watching animations instead of being right there where I need to be.

• 1 month later...
On 2019-01-08 at 6:33 PM, Neofit26 said:

I agree with all this, and would go further. I think the whole menu system will greatly benefit from a setting: no menu transitions. Sure, seeing my dude slowly kneeling by the navigation console, then standing up, or the camera swinging around him and whatnot, all this is fun in the first hour. After that it's just a terrible annoyance as far as I'm concerned, and I hate wasting all that time just ildly watching animations instead of being right there where I need to be.

This - PLEASE!

I am now more or less constantly battling nausea during menu animations. Not only do they slow the interface down, they are visually disturbing to a percentage of the population.

PLEASE provide an option to disable menu animations. A whirling hourglass would be better for some of us if you must have a delay.

Edited by ZEDohSIX
Missed word