Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Newbie here! Can someone show me the ropes?

Keiba

Question

I've been trying to get into Warframe for quite some time now, with me logging in erratically over the last 3-4 months, but I haven't been able to sink my teeth into it. So, I was hoping if someone could help me learn the ropes of the game. Thanks to a stroke of luck from a benevolent stranger, I was able to unlock Rhino a long time ago, but that's all the progress I've made. Would anyone be willing to help me out? 

My timezone is IST (GMT+5.5) and I usually try to log in after work if I'm not exhausted. My IGN is Keiba! Thanks in advance, everyone! 

7 answers to this question

Well...you can't really sink your teeth into anything you only do erratically over 3-4 months. Best way to learn the gameplay itself is just keep doing all kinds of missions. As for more specific things, you'll either learn them in time, look them up on the wiki / youtube etc or ask here.

2 hours ago, Keiba said:

I've been trying to get into Warframe for quite some time now, with me logging in erratically over the last 3-4 months, but I haven't been able to sink my teeth into it. So, I was hoping if someone could help me learn the ropes of the game. Thanks to a stroke of luck from a benevolent stranger, I was able to unlock Rhino a long time ago, but that's all the progress I've made. Would anyone be willing to help me out? 

My timezone is IST (GMT+5.5) and I usually try to log in after work if I'm not exhausted. My IGN is Keiba! Thanks in advance, everyone! 

That's the middle of the night for me. You might try looking for a clan in your timezone. Of course you can post questions here and people will help.

The first step is to unlock star chart nodes and junctions and level your mods.

Getting rhino is a great first step since he will carry you through the star chart. There is literally so much to do in Warframe it's overwhelming, but you can't do most of it if you're stuck on earth. With that being said, I would make it your primary focus to work through the planets, beating the nodes and bosses and doing quests along the way. This will help you learn the game, get new mods and new resources, and in the process you will unlock access to more stuff. Then once you have all/most of the planets unlocked, you can choose what to do next based on what you want. Want more warframes? Farm planets or quests. Want weapons? Farm resources and purchase blueprints in the market. Don't get too focused on one thing like I did (trying to beat all the nodes on a planet before moving on), cause it might take you way longer than you expect. Hope this helps

Okay, do you see these 3 ropes? Don't take either, make someone throw you up.

That 'someone' being the wiki or youtubers. (Or strangers. >.>)

I'd gladly play with you just to have fun and #*!% around to help you, I've got a clan with a bunch of weirdos who know a lot about the game. IGN: DragonDude3010

On 2018-12-18 at 7:19 PM, (PS4)NnCrusader3 said:

Getting rhino is a great first step since he will carry you through the star chart. There is literally so much to do in Warframe it's overwhelming, but you can't do most of it if you're stuck on earth. With that being said, I would make it your primary focus to work through the planets, beating the nodes and bosses and doing quests along the way. This will help you learn the game, get new mods and new resources, and in the process you will unlock access to more stuff. Then once you have all/most of the planets unlocked, you can choose what to do next based on what you want. Want more warframes? Farm planets or quests. Want weapons? Farm resources and purchase blueprints in the market. Don't get too focused on one thing like I did (trying to beat all the nodes on a planet before moving on), cause it might take you way longer than you expect. Hope this helps

Oh, I was wondering about that. Because I feel like what I'd enjoy would be farming multiple Warframes (I'm a gear hoarder at heart), but I felt like I needed to exhaust every single planet before I moved onto the next one. I've been able to go to Mars so far. But judging from what I learned about the other Warframes, I need to level up a lot in Mastery Rank before I tackle the other planets, as well as get some better weapons. 

17 hours ago, DragonDude3010 said:

Okay, do you see these 3 ropes? Don't take either, make someone throw you up.

That 'someone' being the wiki or youtubers. (Or strangers. >.>)

I'd gladly play with you just to have fun and #*!% around to help you, I've got a clan with a bunch of weirdos who know a lot about the game. IGN: DragonDude3010

Oooh I'd love the help! I'll add you tonight! ❤️ Thanks a lot

Hey there - 

Just a few tips:

You know that 50 platinum you have? For the love of God don't waste it on a bloody kubrow egg like I did (I'm still traumatised). Kubrows are quite difficult to manage, and I recommend not going for a kubrow until far later on. Instead, buy a Warframe slot (20pl) and 2 weapon slots (24pl). This allows for some more versatility in your kit, which is always nice. As for weapons, it's not too important what you pick at the lower levels, but nevertheless if you're mastery rank 4 or higher, I recommend the Hek shotgun, as well as the Lex secondary pistol, which is essentially a pocket sniper. Both are slow, satisfyingly powerful weapons that pack a massive punch. Hek in particular will last you all the way throughout the star chart, assuming you update your builds regularly. The Kohm is also very good choice, but I find it's secondary counterpart to be rather lackluster.

As for Warframes, I'm sure you've heard that Rhino is an amazing Warframe. While that's perfectly true, I'd say he pretty much needless. Any of the starter frames can carry you until around Jupiter/Europa. Additionally, Rhino's Iron Skin abiltiy lets him negate damage, which can instill some bad habits in you, and so delicate frames like Loki or Ash will seem excessively difficult and in turn, unnappealing. You may even have trouble using balanced frames like Excalibur as they don't have that massive tanking power. Instead, I'd highly recommend Frost, whom you can get from the Assassination mission on Ceres. He's also tanky, but he's also the best frame for Defense missions, mostly due to his third ability - he creates a giant ice orb around him that absorbs incoming damage and slows down enemies who enter it, letting you pick them off at your leisure.

The main reason I recommend him is because I found Defense missions extremely difficult. In a certain quest which is need to progress from Jupiter to Saturn, the last stage is a defense mission, which I utterly failed. I had no idea what to do, because I didn't know a way to get enemies to attack me instead of the objective. With Frost, however, Defense becomes a breeze.

Remember to keeping upgrading your mods. They can fall off pretty quickly as the difficulty gets higher, but a good build can take care of that. Speaking of mods, always remember that in this game, no matter how many friends you have, no one is a better friend than the Warframe Wiki. Let's say you need a pretty rare mod. Search it up on Warframe Wiki, and it'll give you details about the mod, as well as drop sources and drop chances. Scrolling down to the comments may give you some handy tips for the grind. Or let's say you want new Warfarme. The wiki has a list of all the known Warframes currently in the game, as well as their stats, abilities, sources, drop chances, and even tips on how to use them. 

Also, Warframe has a pretty good story mode. If you go to your Codex, you may see a quest called 'Natah'. Keep that as a short-term goal. It's an interesting series of quests, and you'll likely enjoy it.

Warframe is a really grind-based game, but you should remember that almost everything can be gotten for free. Every weapon, frame, prime, etc. With the exception of a couple of skins/packs, everything is free. Even platinum. All it requires is some effort on your part.

These are just some tips I jumbled together from my time of playing. There are some really good guides out there though - a channel called iFlynn has a really in-depth beginner's guide you should check out. It's a bit outdated, but combine it with some other sources (MCGamerCZ recently did a video for best weapons of each master rank), and you'll be a true Tenno in no time (pardon my cheese).

Also, what platform are you on? Warframe ain't cross platform yet😡 but if you need any more help, just ask. 

Edit: Wow, I just realised how long this is - sorry about that

Edited by (PS4)Bloodshot1782