Some thoughts on Prime alt helmets going forward

Hello,

as soon as I saw the new addition to the Mesa PA my heart sank. I had been dreading something like this happening for some time and now it has finally come to pass: an alternate helmet locked behind exclusive cash purchase, permanently.

Let me be clear on Mesa PA: I do not expect the helmet to be farmable. I well understand the exclusivity that drives PA purchases and also the desire to protect purchases. Given the history of PA cosmetics, it would not make much sense.

However going forward, I believe there is something to be brought to the table for discussion.

Prime alternate helmets and skins have been a hotly requested feature for a long time. Especially in the case of older primes, it gives them a chance to receive a face-lift some of their ageing designs could much appreciate.While armor and syandanas are cool add-ons, these helmets are a core part of the warframes themselves, and having them be cut off from the game proper leaves me with a somewhat unpleasant feeling. It would be nice for them to be earnable.

Once upon a time, completing a prime set was a mark of distinction. If you managed to drop that final frost prime helmet you were a prince among peasants in every lobby you graced with your presence (of course I do exaggerate, but it is only to impart the feeling of accomplishment and prestige). Over the years that feeling has faded and altogether diminished with acquisition becoming easier and easier. I do not like gameplay items being locked behind excruciating RNG, but I did appreciate the prestige the old system brought.

Therefore, following the Mesa Prime Access,  I request that alternate prime helmets and skins be added as in-game rewards for high difficulty content, such as Arbitrations and Elite Sanctuary Onslaught. These lovely cosmetics would make for nice aspirational content to chase once you have maxed out your gear and give you a reason to grind them out. They would also become symbols of prestige and accomplishment.

Thank you for reading!

Edit 1:

@chinohanz227 Suggests that they be made available as component-wise drops from a variety of hard activities to discourage burnout, and it's a very attractive idea.

Edited by Evanescent

Well i actualy have to agree with that.

Its kinda of uncool to have it locked we should be able to craft it even if its hard as hell.

I dont mind other ecessories for operator or even liset to be locked but a whole helmet for a prime frame is kinda too much.

5 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

as soon as I saw the new addition to the Mesa PA my heart sank. I had been dreading something like this happening for some time and now it has finally come to pass: an alternate helmet locked behind exclusive cash purchase, permanently.

What are you talking about?
Just look at Steve's twitter:

I'm honest, I didn't read your whole post.
But I've got a question:
Why are prime helmets a problem, if they are exclusive, but armor-sets aren't?
Both are just cosmetics...
You demand prime helmets to be farmable, but not prime armor sets? Or syandanas?
What's the difference?

Edited by WhiteMarker

Doubt it’ll happen, it can win them a few bucks by putting them in prime vault packs and the like, especially if PVs are gonna happen more often with more prime’s going in them 

I still need to get a better look at the alt helm because from what I saw, it’s the exact same helm as the prime one without having a cowboy hat 

11 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

I request that alternate prime helmets and skins be added as in-game rewards for high difficulty content, such as Arbitrations and Elite Sanctuary Onslaught

But the problem with your request is that neither of this modes ar challenging, ESO is nothing moren than a spam feast, while arbitrations have much lower scaling and enemy density then even normal missions.

14 minutes ago, BlachWolf said:

But the problem with your request is that neither of this modes ar challenging, ESO is nothing moren than a spam feast, while arbitrations have much lower scaling and enemy density then even normal missions.

They were examples only.

As per Steve's latest tweet, this wont change and prime helmet alts would be part of prime accessories only. It is a new behavior but apparently a lot of people are buying accessories pack because of it and are requesting to not change it, hence we have to live with it (Even though i agree with your statement) 

43 minutes ago, BlachWolf said:

But it’s a step in the right direction. Think of it as a new ability for their game engine, that they can deploy in different ways. DE desperately needs a new approach to mission types. Fortuna brought a tiny amount of that in bounties and in conservation, but daamn there’s a lot of space to fill in open worlds.

51 minutes ago, Meinbinwar said:

As per Steve's latest tweet, this wont change and prime helmet alts would be part of prime accessories only. It is a new behavior but apparently a lot of people are buying accessories pack because of it and are requesting to not change it, hence we have to live with it (Even though i agree with your statement) 

He is talking about the accessories in Mesa's PA specifically. As I already clarified in my post, this is not about Mesa's helmet, but about future ones! ^_^

3 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

He is talking about the accessories in Mesa's PA specifically. As I already clarified in my post, this is not about Mesa's helmet, but about future ones! ^_^

So other alt helmets for older(or newer)  primes would be part of in-game missions but mesa prime alt hemet wont be part of it due to been part prime accessories. That is inconsistency. 

The reason people got issue with Mesa P's alt helmet was due to inconsistency between regular alt helmets part of alerts and mesa prime alt helmet been made exclusive.

Inconsistency is a thing we should definitely avoid because that blurs the trust for any future content.

The only way i can see consistency would be to create another prime alt helmet for mesa and made it part of in-game as well as for all future and past primes as well. But this would create more issues as the ones who bought the prime alt helmet due to accessories and exclusivity will definitely not like that at all.

So the only way to make consistency is either

1) Remove helmet, replace with something else and make all prime alt helmets in-game rewards(which wont be happening) or

2) Make all prime alt helmets part of prime accessories, which will be not consistent with the regular alt helmets behavior but at least the consistency would be with all prime alt helmets.

P.S:  English is not my first language so if anyone thinks I might sound a bit aggressive or anything, please don't. I love to have positive discussion and i am trying my best to do it. Stay happy my fellow tennos!

@Evanescent One more thing i want to point out is that i totally agree with you that prime alt helmets should be part of challenging missions which would really provide good gaming experience and fulfillment, but i am not sure how DE will pull off as there is an inconsistency (as pointed with my previous post)

13 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

But I've got a question:
You demand prime helmets to be farmable, but not prime armor sets? Or syandanas?
What's the difference?

9 hours ago, Ephemerous said:

Isn't it standard for a prime access pack to have a pay only cosmetic component?  Why would moving that component from the chest/shoulders/legs to the head make any difference in how DE monetizes (or not)?

Good question.

I'd say it would be like DE making a new, much requested weapon type paid dlc. It's the fact that we have been asking for primed alts for so long, and helmets being a core part of the warframe's visual landscape.

13 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

But I've got a question:
What's the difference?

I believe that tweet is out-dated. In a more recent tweet steve apologises for the confusion and clarifies that the accessories won't be farmable.

I think the reason alt helms rub the wrong way and not armor sets is due to their exclusive nature.

A helm is for that frame while armor sets are generalized cosmetics which have even been bundled with frames they did not release with.

The aesthetics of a free helm vs a paid helm can be influenced to simply look better on that frame while armor sets, no matter how cool don't always fit a scheme. This is actually something I dislike about Path of Exile's F2P system. The base models of characters are straight up stupid looking no matter what gear you put on. I feel if Prime models and Deluxe models were available to Tennogen artists then it wouldn't bother me as much.

One might argue her Prime helm is already coping her Tennogen Falcon Helm.

8 hours ago, Xzorn said:

I think the reason alt helms rub the wrong way and not armor sets is due to their exclusive nature.

A helm is for that frame while armor sets are generalized cosmetics which have even been bundled with frames they did not release with.

The aesthetics of a free helm vs a paid helm can be influenced to simply look better on that frame while armor sets, no matter how cool don't always fit a scheme. This is actually something I dislike about Path of Exile's F2P system. The base models of characters are straight up stupid looking no matter what gear you put on. I feel if Prime models and Deluxe models were available to Tennogen artists then it wouldn't bother me as much.

One might argue her Prime helm is already coping her Tennogen Falcon Helm.

In essence, yes, this is more or less how I feel!

3 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

Bugs are easier to patch than bad business model decisions.

Paying for a helmet that is just for design that ain't even look that great is a bad business design?...... Out of all the issues this game has ppl are upset that they don't wanna pay for a helmet skin...... DE just turn this game into a 60$ price game the community gone wack in the head I swear lmfao 

11 hours ago, ShenRyujin said:

Ppl out here really more worried about a helmet over the state of the game. I'm starting to c wat all the YouTubers starting to mean now............

I certainly hope we all have enough brainspace to accommodate multiple concerns over multiple things and express them.

On 2018-12-18 at 10:39 PM, Evanescent said:

Good question.

I'd say it would be like DE making a new, much requested weapon type paid dlc. It's the fact that we have been asking for primed alts for so long, and helmets being a core part of the warframe's visual landscape.

A weapon type would have an impact on game play. This is cosmetic. And it's a Prime cosmetic. It belongs behind a pay wall as usual.

11 hours ago, ShenRyujin said:

DE just turn this game into a 60$ price game

I'd actually prefer if WF had a pay-to-play business model, because then it would have to be designed to be fun to play to get people to pay. As opposed to pay-to-skip, which forces game designers to deliberately insert annoyance and tedium in order to motivate players to pay to skip it (such as excessive grind designed to sell boosters).