About the recent Tonkor Changes . . .

DustyFlash

They are irelevant and unnecessary.

The grenades being less suicidal is nice and all, but then they made some god awfull changes:

Removed hold button and tracker line from tonkor.

Completely horrible choice since the tonkor has a very odd and unlinear aim, which was barely helped by the tracking line.

Increased Fire rate from 2 to 3.17

Oh co-

Reduced magazine from 2 to 1

This is a joke right? Whats the point of more fire rate if you nerfed the magazine, you could have simply buffed the slow reload speed and kept it as it is.

Doubled the damage.

Swee-

Added a 50% damage falloff

So its the same thing.

All these tonkor changes did was make it less suicidal but very clunky and booring to use.

I would love to see it revisited and fixed ASAP.

• Like 3

People getting hyped by the Orb Heist but we're here focusing on what's really important: Tonkor Changes.

The reload buff and the magazine nerf is really questionable. I don't know why this is implemented since it clearly cancels out the changes they made.

And Damage fall-off? On a grenade launcher?.. That literally lands within 6m of you.

Edited by Archforge
Changed distance measurement from imperial to metric

The intention here is to motivate to build for magazine size. Its a niche-ish weapon. Its a specific trade-off for a specific weapon. Its good if you ask me. 

If we would consider rivens. One might wan't to roll Magazine size and combine with Wildfire for example. Our builds are usually pretty stale and straight forward. So I don't mind this change. Its pretty smart on DE's side in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, Pixues said:

The intention here is to motivate to build for magazine size.

Why would anyone in their right mind do that instead of using Primed Fast Hands. ALSO, Tonkor has a VERY low disposition, I won't be getting 2 mag size without sacrificing 3 mod slots, which is unnecessary and pointless. Its far more effective to increase reload speed.

• Like 1

I disagree. The Tonkor (though not a powerhouse like before) now fits very nicely in its MR5 tier. Honestly, I think Tonkor is overqualified for its MR5 requirement since I can still 1-2 shot lvl 120 trash and lvl 80 heavies when fully modded. At MR5, this weapon definitely does NOT under-perform.

Looking at the weapon as it is currently and not comparing it with its previous stats, it is a very balanced weapon. The projectile does not have lots of drop like the Penta so it is easy to aim. The 6m primer (for the most part) prevents you from killing yourself. The lack of a tracer doesn't mean anything. The arc was never accurate and you should know how it arcs after using it for a while. The 1 grenade magazine and the 1.7 second reload on paper sounds bad, but in actual gameplay, it did not feel slow at all. Given you are still one-shotting most enemies, you shoot the grenade, start the reload, by the time your grenade explodes and you see your enemy dead, it will only take another 1 second to reload so it never feels like a full 1.7 second reload.

Now, for a new player, you obviously won't be slaughtering all content at first considering the forma investment and the mods used to achieve the one-shots I mentioned above. The Tonkor sits in a middle spot where it isn't too powerful, but also isn't too weak. Remember, explosives are typically meant to clear trash mobs so if you are trying to clear heavies, you are forcing it to be what it's not.

Edited by DeathshotSE
  • Like 1

On 2018-12-22 at 6:04 PM, DeathshotSE said:

I disagree. The Tonkor (though not a powerhouse like before) now fits very nicely in its MR5 tier. Honestly, I think Tonkor is overqualified for its MR5 requirement since I can still 1-2 shot lvl 120 trash and lvl 80 heavies when fully modded. At MR5, this weapon definitely does NOT under-perform.

Looking at the weapon as it is currently and not comparing it with its previous stats, it is a very balanced weapon. The projectile does not have lots of drop like the Penta so it is easy to aim. The 6m primer (for the most part) prevents you from killing yourself. The lack of a tracer doesn't mean anything. The arc was never accurate and you should know how it arcs after using it for a while. The 1 grenade magazine and the 1.7 second reload on paper sounds bad, but in actual gameplay, it did not feel slow at all. Given you are still one-shotting most enemies, you shoot the grenade, start the reload, by the time your grenade explodes and you see your enemy dead, it will only take another 1 second to reload so it never feels like a full 1.7 second reload.

Now, for a new player, you obviously won't be slaughtering all content at first considering the forma investment and the mods used to achieve the one-shots I mentioned above. The Tonkor sits in a middle spot where it isn't too powerful, but also isn't too weak. Remember, explosives are typically meant to clear trash mobs so if you are trying to clear heavies, you are forcing it to be what it's not.

MR has nothing to do with the weapon power, there was weapons like the zenistar and nikana prime which overshadow most of the weapons at mr 10+

On 2018-12-26 at 7:54 PM, kevoisvevo said:

there was weapons like the zenistar and nikana prime which overshadow most of the weapons at mr 10+

Just remember that melee didn't get rebalance pass like primaries and secondaries because of upcoming melee 3.0. So of course melee powerlevels are all over the place. But for guns MR is kinda relevant now. I'm sure you'd be able to find some exceptions, but the for the most part low-MR weapons are weaker than high-MR weapons now.

• 3 weeks later...

Id like to point out that my tonkor build before these changes, while it downed me often, was extremely frequently dealing 250k+ blast damage, and very rarely breaching 1mil on headshots

it now barely ever goes above 25k.

Thats how significant a change these are. On average, i have 90% less damage.

I have a 7 Forma Tonkor that is now worthless, id rather use any other weapon now and it would be more fun.

• Like 1

I still miss grenade jumping from back in the day
and self damage is still a pile a of unbalanced garbage

but otherwise I have to strongly disagree with OP
have you even tried the weapon and just looked the stats?

the biggest thing over here is that tonkor no longer kills you so easily
as for the mechanic changes I think the changes made it seem more like m79 grenade launcher which without a doubt was tonkors inspiration and I love it

me who has Hated launchers with an iron fist
I Re-potatoed and spent 5 forma on tonkor again because I was having legitimately fun with the weapon

the damage is fine but the reload could be a tad bit faster honestly

De still needs to do something about self damage balancing
(and bring back my grenade and rocket jumping while youre at it!)

1 hour ago, Twistedsparkle said:

I still miss grenade jumping from back in the day
and self damage is still a pile a of unbalanced garbage

but otherwise I have to strongly disagree with OP
have you even tried the weapon and just looked the stats?

the biggest thing over here is that tonkor no longer kills you so easily
as for the mechanic changes I think the changes made it seem more like m79 grenade launcher which without a doubt was tonkors inspiration and I love it

me who has Hated launchers with an iron fist
I Re-potatoed and spent 5 forma on tonkor again because I was having legitimately fun with the weapon

the damage is fine but the reload could be a tad bit faster honestly

De still needs to do something about self damage balancing
(and bring back my grenade and rocket jumping while youre at it!)

This thread is already a month old.