Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Staticor: Bad Business

(PSN)Hiero_Glyph

Just now, Vox_Preliator said:

Why did anyone ever think it wasn't going to be nerfed once they got around to it?  It was significantly above the effect/effort curve.  Someone who spent money on it (And why would they, it's relatively cheap and potatoes are plentiful if you don't just shove them into every single gun) has nobody but their own complete lack of foresight to blame.

If this is "predatory" to you then I wish I had your innocence.

The nerf wasn't the issue. The issue is that it was intended to be a 2m radius and you don't intend to do something unless it was planned to be that way from the start. So DE knew that this was a mistake from the start and then left it unchanged for months for no other reason that the fact that it wasn't important enough to change. And to be completely honest that points towards a much larger issue that is becoming far too common.

7 minutes ago, Kjahla81 said:

And they just hotfix it so you can use fulmination mod on it. 

And this is exactly the original point as the radius change should have been included in a hotfix within days of it going live. Everyone knew how OP it was from the patch notes alone.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph

7 minutes ago, (PS4)vidare said:

waits a couple of weeks until most people have bought rivens

Most people don't touch Rivens. They do not design the game around them. The Staticor was released ages ago.

As for the main thrust of the thread: Anything in the game is subject to change at literally any moment. To spend money on it and not acknowledge this basic fact of the game is on you. It is not DE's fault you ignored this fundamental piece of the development of the game.

1 minute ago, peterc3 said:

Most people don't touch Rivens. They do not design the game around them. The Staticor was released ages ago.

As for the main thrust of the thread: Anything in the game is subject to change at literally any moment. To spend money on it and not acknowledge this basic fact of the game is on you. It is not DE's fault you ignored this fundamental piece of the development of the game.

Staticor was buffed a couple of weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)vidare said:

And it was immediately seen as a problem, but not enough to put out a fix for just that. If people only got it and dumped tons of Plat on a Riven for something that was clearly an oversight, that is solely on them.

19 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

And it was immediately seen as a problem, but not enough to put out a fix for just that. If people only got it and dumped tons of Plat on a Riven for something that was clearly an oversight, that is solely on them.

True, but a good way to get people to spend plat is what it is.

Not just rivens.. forma, weapon slots, mods. Just so they can use the most op at the time.

The same could be said for just about anything in this game. They could take a dump all over anything you enjoy.

Due to their development cycle and proven ability to release half finished ideas, nothing is safe.

It's hard to justify any time or money spent when they could topple or gut anything that you have. 

If they're going to charge money for it, then it should be ready for live consumption. This applies to riven too. They release this massive RNG sink and then tell everyone not to get attached....

At some point there needs to be a clear idea of where all this is going so we can decide if it's worth it or not.

Stuff like this is dirty. Whether intentional or not. They sold bundles and platinum based on the guns stats. If it's not ready for live....don't release it. Don't sell it for money. Period.

Does this game even have a test server before stuff goes live? Players usually find 9000 problems on patch days. Might be beneficial since a lot is slipping through internally. 

Edited by IIDMOII

58 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

I'm not against them making changes to weapons for the sake of balance. What I am against is claiming that the 2m radius was intended and neglecting to do anything to correct that mistake for over 2 months. That is problematic to say the least and causes the community to waste resources/plat on an item that was incorrectly buffed.

I mean it is one thing to buff it, realize it was overtuned and then bring it back a little (but not all the way back to the original value), and something entirely different to buff it, leave it as is for months, and then to revert the change since it wasn't intended in the first place. That's not balance, that's incompetence.

55 minutes ago, (PS4)vidare said:

PC got the Staticor change as part of Chimera on October 12th (over 2 months ago). PS4 and Xbox received it on Oct. 30th (2 months at the end of December).

3 hours ago, mikakor said:

Predatory in the way that it made people spend money/platinum on a good weapon, then forma'ed it, potato'ed it, probably got a riven for it, and left in this powerful position for a long time, much more than what would have been needed to change it back, and then once everyone used the money on it they change it back

That's a predatory practices, but I don't think DE made this intentionally. Or at least not with these intentions in mind. It isn't like them. I would say it is mismanagement.

The trick to this is not caring. Once you've fully forma'd every weapon in warframe, you really dont care what they nerf/buff cause you always have top dog. It does suck when they nerf weapons out of use entirely; see tonkor, simulor, boltace, etc. I will admit there are some changes that are lazy from DE, like the nerfs i previously mentioned, but i think staticor is still useable so i wouldn't classify it under this category.

Edited by Skaleek

The range buff on Staticor is pretty recent, it was intended and written in a patchnote. But not something we had when Staticor first came out.

And Imo it was totally OP to give uncharged shots such a range, even if it's my favorite weapon I'm kinda glad they reverted that

2 hours ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

The issue with rivens imo stems from the constant balance updates that accompany games of this nature, or online games in general.  

I will openly admit I despise rivens for the simple fact that they make balancing worse.   For example: having a 4-5 star riven disposition on a Kohm is all fine and dandy until a major update to weapons is decided.  The Kohm is seen as under performing due to usage rate and gets a hilarious buff, at which time it becomes Octavia tier and the riven system needs to be adjusted as well.

Those with the old rivens will be just fine, while those with the new ones will just have to hold that L.  Or vice versa.  It's a lazy way of balancing that has created a meta (and a plat sink) that imo is unstable and destined for disaster.

Ok rant over.  My apologies.

I mean, it's not even about the riven though. I just dont like feeling like the time I spent on a build ends up being a waste.

10 minutes ago, Chaemyerelis said:

DE doesn't force anyone to jump on the flavor of the month OP weapon bandwagon btw. People do this too themselves out of temptation.

Balance changes are not flavor of the month things though which is why this specifically is a problem. I mean DE buffed the Staticor on their own; this was intentional. So what exactly was the point of the buff if it wasn't intended? And why did it take over 2 months to revert an unintended buff? All signs point to mismanagement.

Remove the self damage and im okay with it again.

Im not one of those Bandwagon bug abusers that found the staticor bc it was OP for the last weeks. I used the staticor for 2 years. Its the most used Equipment in my profile. It was ideal. I build my playstyle around it.

Now I just keep killing myself.

I might be the only person playing this game wiith charging up my staticor, pretending to throw a fireball, while everyone else is just rapid fireing away.

It makes me sad to see an item that precious ruined. Sure its still good and maybe the selfdamage was even called for (no it wasnt), but now it just doesnt fit my playstile anymore. I dont use Lenz, I dont use granade launchers. I dont like smacking myself.
and if in the end every weapon, every gun, pistol and sword gets to have self damage (dammit i cut myself, so edgy), then maybe it remains fair for Staticor to have it too.

7 hours ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

• Charged fire now deals self damage.

Everyone going on about whether this is predatory or b.s. but can we take a moment to appreciate that this means we can rad proc ourselves just think of all the trolling I mean fun we can have

Edited by (XB1)UmbranAssassin

1 hour ago, DavidCurser said:

Remove the self damage and im okay with it again.

Im not one of those Bandwagon bug abusers that found the staticor bc it was OP for the last weeks. I used the staticor for 2 years. Its the most used Equipment in my profile. It was ideal. I build my playstyle around it.

Now I just keep killing myself.

I might be the only person playing this game wiith charging up my staticor, pretending to throw a fireball, while everyone else is just rapid fireing away.

It makes me sad to see an item that precious ruined. Sure its still good and maybe the selfdamage was even called for (no it wasnt), but now it just doesnt fit my playstile anymore. I dont use Lenz, I dont use granade launchers. I dont like smacking myself.
and if in the end every weapon, every gun, pistol and sword gets to have self damage (dammit i cut myself, so edgy), then maybe it remains fair for Staticor to have it too.

As far as playing style goes i think i'd personally be fine as I normally use the staticor for what i'd call air raids where i bullet jump around firing at enemies from above to cause as many procs as i can and kill enemies and I main Inaros but i digress. My point is that i agree with you that this is a really stupid change to one of my favorite secondaries that iv'e used since the second dream. The only thing that would be more absurd would be the amprex changed to have self damage as well.

6 hours ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

Well all I can say is I have my fingers crossed for Anthem to be good...another Sci-fi looter shooter putting their foot on the gas pedal for fun means everyone else has to work on their power fantasy since other guy is doing it as good or better...Then all these nerf and changes start to take differing tacks to retain their player base rather than irritating the snot out of them over time lost on weapon builds...other than that..it's Warframe and everyone by now should know not to get attached to anything in this game.... 

I doubt Anthem will amount to anything. But have not doubt it will be "Predatory" because this is EA we are talking about.

46 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

Just what the...

Anyone with a brain can easily tell the uncharged 8m range was not intended. Does DE not have history of nerfing weapons with large AoE damage?

No one is disagreeing with you, but why did it take over 2 months to fix an unintended change that was made by itself with no other balance changes? This is something that should have been bundled with a hotfix or patch within a week or two at most. And it definitely should have been noted by DE so that the community was aware that the only change made to the Staticor was not intended and will be fixed in the future.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

No one is disagreeing with you, but why did it take over 2 months to fix an unintended change that was made by itself with no other balance changes? This is something that should have been bundled with a hotfix or patch within a week or two at most. And it definitely should have been noted by DE so that the community was aware that the only change made to the Staticor was not intended and will be fixed in the future.

Staticor quick shot range was always supposed to be 2m since it was first released. If someone invests 1000 plats for a riven for an obviously unintendedly buffed weapon it's like 100% their fault. It was DE's fault not to fix it ASAP but any subsequent loss of yours wasn't.

DE's patch note explicitly told you "Increased Staticor's charged shot AoE size from 2m to 8m and is no longer affected by charge level" so any investment based on an undocumented change is on you.

I don't predatory is the correct word is use here. There is no intention of DE seeking to exploit from this change. I mean, how? You watched too much YongYea did you?

predatory
/ˈprɛdət(ə)ri/
adjective

1. 1.
    (of an animal) preying naturally on others.
    "predatory species of shark"
    synonyms: predacious, carnivorous, hunting, raptorial, ravening; More

2. 2.
    seeking to exploit others.
    "she always felt at the mercy of predatory men"
    synonyms: exploitative, wolfish, rapacious, greedy, acquisitive, avaricious, vulturine;
    rarevulturous
    "I could see a predatory gleam in his eyes"

I noticed this nerf playing a mission and wondering why i cant popp that container just in front of me...thought it is an bug and then read the Patchnotes...Staticor was my Main Weapon since it was implemented and i may keep it cause i diddnt find an good Alternative yet...but 2m AoE really??

My Suggestion: 4m AoE but 50% reduce dmg on non-charged Shot...also the Self-Kill Charge, prevents me from charging, make this Weapon nearly useless now.