Boss Battle Design - Incorporating Verticality and Terrain/Hacking in Boss Battles

ganjou234

Verticallity and Terrain

I wonder if it would be possible to incorporating some kind of verticality when designing boss battles.

• Make run and gun chase moments, "dodge ball", platformer...etc. Make the terrain both an ally and an enemy.....part of the boss battle.

• Just look at the Orb Mother battle and the Towers in Orb Vallis.....now imagine having to fight it by hopping on different platforms or having to constantly wall latch on just to shoot at it.....

• Or we'd have to run on wires while chasing and shooting a fleeing Orb Mother & co.

• If we were able to pull a block from shooting mode (melee 3.0?) then maybe we could have some "block-it-in-time" action....Maybe we could timed-block missiles out of the air to throw back at the boss to disable the shields....

Make us show mastery in aim and movement....Bring back the "ninja" in warframe....

Hacking

With the introduction of Archguns came the 10min cooldown and the explicit need to use these to beat the Orb Mother.

So I thought of something that could help, but players would have to put a little effort...

• Maybe we could have a fragile hackable ammo cache that would resupply nearby archguns for a duration (allowing extended use), however enemies would try to attack the cache while it is being hacked and after it is hacked..(mini defense/spy mode).

Other forms of difficulty without adding to the HP pool of the boss (Maybe even removing some of it)....

8 minutes ago, ganjou234 said:

If we were able to pull a block from shooting mode (melee 3.0?) then maybe we could have some "block-it-in-time" action....Maybe we could timed-block missiles out of the air to throw back at the boss to disable the shields....

This one's a bit complicated because of host/client synchronization. Most hit detection works client-side so having anything that requires strict timing, especially with a large, shared target can get a bit wonky with synchronization. Depending on latency, the host might be a second ahead from the clients from the actions of an enemy. What would happen, in the context of throwing back projectiles with a properly timed block, is that the host and other clients will see the missiles slam into a person while the client actually deflected it. You end up with a lot of ghost projectiles where one client reflected it but everyone else doesn't see it.

3 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Still waiting for DE to actually demand players to use their skills instead of click2win powercreep. Full support for this.

" By fighting the boss, the player can demonstrate his mastery of my game.

• A boss battle is a good place for the player to demonstrate the skills he has learned so far by playing the game. In that sense a boss battle is both a test of the player's abilities and a chance for the player to feel like he has mastered the skills you've taught him so far.

A boss is a test.

• The player can demonstrate mastery of the skills he has learned so far.
  • Like a test at the end of a semester in school, a boss represents a goal -- an important milestone for the player to pass. And passing the milestone needs to feel rewarding.

~ Gamasutra - Boss Battle Design and Structure"

Yeah, that's why I looked back on Ayatan Vaults and Spy/Defence modes for ideas.....I think those modes represent a good chunk of the skills a player learns as he/she goes through Warframe...

6 minutes ago, RX-3DR said:

This one's a bit complicated because of host/client synchronization. Most hit detection works client-side so having anything that requires strict timing, especially with a large, shared target can get a bit wonky with synchronization. Depending on latency, the host might be a second ahead from the clients from the actions of an enemy. What would happen, in the context of throwing back projectiles with a properly timed block, is that the host and other clients will see the missiles slam into a person while the client actually deflected it. You end up with a lot of ghost projectiles where one client reflected it but everyone else doesn't see it.

Hmmm......

Eh....*shrug*

If it happens, then it happens (latency/sync issues). I think it would be unavoidable, but worth having......

I've always had a nagging feeling that the game doesn't give you the incentive to use the wild movement options available as often as it should, so ye, I agree with this

there's times where I feel like the simple-looking block terrain in the simulacrum/mastery tests would offer better gameplay in actual use

it just feels much more suited to parkour (prolly cuz they're some of the only instances in the game made to test those skills?) than a lot of actual game environments, which feel either too cluttered or too emptily open to really enjoy the movement

6 hours ago, (PS4)AeehyehssReeper said:

I've always had a nagging feeling that the game doesn't give you the incentive to use the wild movement options available as often as it should, so ye, I agree with this

It's great to see someone who feels the same way. The Eidolon and Orb Mother Boss battles are basically just a slugfest in open terrain.