Octavia Songs and Viablity

SinfulSpaceGoat

I've been looking into getting Octavia soon, and I notice there seems to be a "meta" around the songs people suggest you use on her. Most of the songs are rather incoherent jibberish designed purely for the intention of hitting beats and not really the musical aspect of it.

Is that the only way to viably play her, or can you get away with using actual songs for her buffs?

To each their own i guess, I'm not musically inclined so it's easier for me to mash the crouch button to something like E1M1 from Doom than anything that is slower or has less beat, but that implies that I loose out on primary/secondary/melee weapon buffs.

What to keep in mind (subjective): The mandachord has short duration and possibly, you will get tired of the song quickly. Other players may not like your creations so setting octavias songs to mute is something to think about. As I've heard from song creators for Octavia, the Mandahord is oversimplyfied so it can be hard to re/create a tune that you like.

For more info, I'd suggest to visit YT for Warframe CC reviews and ideas.

Edited by PurrrningBoop

The "meta", at least for Metronome, is to fill every time slice in the melody with a note, 16 per measure.  This makes things very easy because you can't miss.  It's also easier on your squad because they can get buffs without knowing your particular song.  However, it's also the slowest way to get a buff because you have to hit more notes. 

My preference, unless I'm really try-harding, is for something sparser.  If you leave space between notes and even double up on some, then it takes far fewer hits to get a buff, but you are punished for misses.  Basically, I find that kind of melody more fun.

You can definitely do legit music with both a filled melody and something sparser.  I've done a handful of both types, if you want to look through them.

while most people go for the super fast songs, this is less effective than the slow ones, and break up the flow of gameplay making you less effective of a player.

Octavia is a very fluent frame to play if done right.
The best are very slow songs. (8 beats between melody notes) This is because you can maintain buffs with only hitting the note twice, instead of having to stop what you're doing, spam a key, then continue) this makes the buff management of keeping up all your buffs a lot easier.

The Doom theme is a favorite of mine along with other thrashy/speedmetaly sounding tunes. Easy to keep stealth going since you just dip-dip-potato-chip as you go after the first application of the buff. 

I'd still like to see more metal accurate instruments so we could possibly get into the speedy and brutal black metal (or Norse Core if you prefer) from Swedish bands like Dark Funeral or Marduk. I can just envision my Octavia running around while blasting Thousand Fold Death.

1 hour ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

When I feel like cheesing the ga-I mean, playing Octavia, I use Metallica's Creeping Death.

Get out of my head.  That's exactly what I'm using for Arbitrations and soling Profit-Taker (The former so I can easily buff teammates, and the latter because it requires my full attention to not die). 

27 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

I'd still like to see more metal accurate instruments so we could possibly get into the speedy and brutal black metal (or Norse Core if you prefer) from Swedish bands like Dark Funeral or Marduk. I can just envision my Octavia running around while blasting Thousand Fold Death.

I get a lot of requests for that kind of stuff, and with rare exceptions it's not going to happen without adding notes.  It's heavily dependent on half-tone intervals, which don't exist on a Mandachord.  So far, new instrument sets don't affect the pitches that are available.

Speaking of rare exceptions, I think this section of Thousand Fold Death would actually work.

Edited by Buff00n
I can typing

14 hours ago, Eterud said:

while most people go for the super fast songs, this is less effective than the slow ones, and break up the flow of gameplay making you less effective of a player.

Octavia is a very fluent frame to play if done right.
The best are very slow songs. (8 beats between melody notes) This is because you can maintain buffs with only hitting the note twice, instead of having to stop what you're doing, spam a key, then continue) this makes the buff management of keeping up all your buffs a lot easier.

^^ THAT!

Don't want to go past 110 bpm tempo (Andante). That's too fast and can be grading on other players ears. Most popular ballads in Pop and Rock genre even out to 104 bpm.

My theme song is at 109 bpm. Upbeat tempo but not so fast to be heard by others as "noise". Drum lines of Techno/House/Dance can be irritating to others when they want to concentrate while gaming. Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" is a perfect example of a tempo with a powerful drum line that is even legendary!

The issue is that people try to replicate other music using the limited Pentatonic scale that the mandachord uses. Resulting in very shoddy "eh, I guess it kinda sounds like it" music (as seen in such popular songs like the e1m1 doom theme, megalovania undertale theme, mortal kombat main theme).

Most people tend to go for higher bpm songs, under the fear that they can't "dance" effectively to get the buffs, but even doing lower bpm songs still works just as well (since buff progression is tied to the amount of notes used; fewer notes in the song means each note "hit" gives more buff progression %).

I myself personally use this song which isn't a based on anything or a reference to anything, but it sounds good and has a high bpm

Edited by Obviousclone